Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-01-2020, 04:58 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Best/recommended way to export selected contacts from Google Contacts to Kobo Forma

I'd like to save some contact information from selected contacts in my Google Contacts to my Kobo Forma.
It looks like Google Contacts can export as:
1. Google CSV
2. Outlook CSV
3. vCard (for iOS contacts)

1. Which should I choose?
2. After I choose one of the 3, what would be the next steps?
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:10 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice

I can't fathom how this is relevant to the calibre application

If someone wants to tell me where they think it should be, I'll move it.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #3
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BetterRed, I guess it's because I thought Calibre would be the middleman.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
BetterRed, I guess it's because I thought Calibre would be the middleman.
Could be - one of the kobo experts might know,

Curious, why would you want Contacts (phone numbers etc, email addresses etc) on an e-reader, they don't have voice or SMS functionality - or do they?

BR
Old 08-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #5
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Could be - one of the kobo experts might know,

Curious, why would you want Contacts (phone numbers etc, email addresses etc) on an e-reader, they don't have voice or SMS functionality - or do they?

BR
who's "they"? the people and stores I want to add to my ereader ?
or are you referring to my Kobo device?
Advert
Old 08-01-2020, 06:31 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Kobo e-readers
Old 08-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #7
droopy
Guru

thanks for clarifying. Yes, my Kobo Forma ereader doesn't have sms/voice functionality. but that's okay. I want phone numbers, hours of operation, addresses, other notes from Google Contacts just stored on my Kobo, simply because I can't remember them all. If I need to phone someone, I'd use a regular phone.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:06 PM   #8
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
If it were me and I had LOTS of names etc, I'd export them as a CSV (something that can be imported into Excel/OO maybe? Google?) and then import the CSV into a spreadsheet.

Once in the spreadsheet you could mail merge into a Word/OO document. You can either order them in the spreadsheet (for indexing) or Word. Spreadsheet would be easier. You can add Indexes/TOC in Word if required.

Import the Word/OO document into Calibre.

OR

If you want to bypass the mail merge, you could export the spreadsheet as an RTF and import that into Calibre.

Edited: OH...wait. You probably can't save a spreadsheet as an RTF. But you could do a HTML file. That may be it. Do the spreadsheet, format, remove superfluous fields and save as HTML.

Last edited by skb; 08-01-2020 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Too long since I used a spreadsheet
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
If it were me and I had LOTS of names etc, I'd export them as a CSV (something that can be imported into Excel/OO maybe? Google?) and then import the CSV into a spreadsheet.

Once in the spreadsheet you could mail merge into a Word/OO document. You can either order them in the spreadsheet (for indexing) or Word. Spreadsheet would be easier. You can add Indexes/TOC in Word if required.

Import the Word/OO document into Calibre.

OR

If you want to bypass the mail merge, you could export the spreadsheet as an RTF and import that into Calibre.
My Google Contacts has thousands of contacts, but I just want about 20 or 30 contacts on my Kobo Forma.
Because it's gonna be a small list, i don't need indexing. Maybe each contact can have its own page, and each contact can be listed in a Table of Contents.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:31 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

I can't fathom how this is relevant to the calibre application

If someone wants to tell me where they think it should be, I'll move it.

BR
I think this thread would be best in the ePub forum as the contacts would be best as ePub. So it's a matter of getting the contacts into ePub.

But to be honest, I think manually editing an ePub is beyond Droopy at this point.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:37 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
I'd like to save some contact information from selected contacts in my Google Contacts to my Kobo Forma.
It looks like Google Contacts can export as:
1. Google CSV
2. Outlook CSV
3. vCard (for iOS contacts)

1. Which should I choose?
2. After I choose one of the 3, what would be the next steps?
Choose either of the CSV exports. Open the CSV file with Excel, remove the contacts and columns you don't want. Select and copy the content. Open Word with a blank document, paste the copied content. Save as .docx and import the .docx file into calibre. Convert to epub.

If you are feeling enthused, you can reformat the .docx before importing to calibre.

edit: Personally, I can't think of any forum this really belongs in other than possibly General Discussions. It's not really a calibre, epub, Kobo, etc. issue.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Moderator Notice

I'll move it to the Workshop

BR
Old 08-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@droopy - if the other suggestions don't work out, you could try loading the CSV into Nirsoft's CSVFileView, do any necessary column trimming/rearranging etc, save as HTML and use it to make an epub.

BR
Old 08-02-2020, 04:56 PM   #14
droopy
Guru

hi betterred,
i'm on linux.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:57 PM   #15
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But to be honest, I think manually editing an ePub is beyond Droopy at this point.
Correct, JSWolf.