Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-23-2021, 07:32 AM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
h3 + p, p.SceneBreak + p, div.ChapterDivision + p {text-indent:0; margin-top 2em}

All works fine for me. However, don't forget to check that your target device/app supports this kind of standard styling...
For a scene break,you don't want to use a margin-top. It doesn't work. When you have the space at the end of the page, the space gets lost. Use padding-top: 2em; as the space is not lost.

Instead of using just space or a graphic or * * * (looks awful), I use an <hr/>. The following code and it works very well.

Code:
hr {
  margin-top: 1em;
  margin-right: 40%;
  margin-bottom: 0.9em;
  margin-left: 40%;
  border-top: 2px solid;
}
Baen books does something I find just plain wrong. They indent the first paragraph of a chapter and the paragraph after a scene break. This is something I really dislike.

Then there are the books that don't indent the paragraph after some offset text. Again that just looks wrong because this is not a new scene.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-23-2021 at 07:39 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:46 AM   #62
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's time to get with current rules of typography.
US rules are not the only ones. Also as stated earlier, the en dash vs em dash for bracketing and single vs double quotes are not universal in either direction in many countries. Any one novel wants to be consistent.
We use double quotes for speech, em dash for attribution or broken off speech and en dashes with spaces for bracketing as we are in Ireland. But you can find UK books the same. Personally I think a space at opening dash and after closing dash would work like (brackets), but I've never seen it and so it looks odd. Usually em with no spaces or en with a space on both sides.
We recommend the USA ‘Oxford comma’ before the ‘and’ at the end of a list only if it's ambiguous rather than always or never.
But very many things are a question of taste and context hence we have Style Guides.
The worst was my 1960s and 1970s English teachers prescriptively applying Victorian and also Latin rules (which are largely irrelevant) to English Grammar as well as simply made up daft rules that might apply to a script for the stage, but not to ordinary prose.
There was also too much emphasis on Formal Writing and Journalistic Reporting rather than anything relating to fiction or dialogue.

There is no good reason for the rest of the world to adopt Webster's spellings and one particular set of USA punctuation rules.

Also some rules like smaller spacing between a number and units, or small caps for certain abbreviation work 100% for paper but erratically for ebooks and web pages. Early ebooks on the Palm were little better than a proportional version of a terminal or typewriter!

Last edited by Quoth; 05-23-2021 at 07:49 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2021, 07:52 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Quoth if you were going to standardize on a set of punctuation rules and use these rules world wide, which rules would you go with?
Old 05-23-2021, 08:08 AM   #64
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@Quoth if you were going to standardize on a set of punctuation rules and use these rules world wide, which rules would you go with?
You want to make books be like an International US food franchise?

It's a crazy idea.
-> Different Cultures
-> Different Languages
-> Printed Newspapers & website versions, novels-Fiction, comic book speech bubbles. Formal writing also has different styles per application and country.

It's like saying everyone should wear the same clothes, have the same jewellery options, hairstyles, range of food, layout of houses etc. Or the same Digital TV standard.

Also English readers outside the USA have no difficulty reading USA 19th to 21st C, fiction and news reporting. US Books are largely published as-is over the last 150 years in UK. Yet many publishers obviously think the USA public is stupid and uneducated so they have to edit a USA market version. I know many USA people. All prefer the UK & Irish books to be original and can understand them.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:11 AM   #65
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
I'd say any such plan wouldn't last long:
https://m.xkcd.com/927/

Quote:
Fortunately, the charging one has been solved now that we've all standardized on mini-USB. Or is it micro-USB? Shit.
Add USB-C
Advert
Old 05-23-2021, 08:49 AM   #66
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Compose --- = — em dash
I must add that to our inhouse style guide with a warning where hyphen, en, em and minus are explained.
Good luck with that. One of the first things I do when I get a new ms is check all the hyphens and dashes (and quotemarks and ellipses).

I see incorrect dash/hyphens all the time in professionally published books now.
And almost every ebook.
The hot lead typesetters are turning in their graves....
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:25 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Good luck with that. One of the first things I do when I get a new ms is check all the hyphens and dashes (and quotemarks and ellipses).

I see incorrect dash/hyphens all the time in professionally published books now.
And almost every ebook.
What sort of errors do you find?
Old 05-23-2021, 11:29 AM   #68
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Quote:
h3 + p, p.SceneBreak + p, div.ChapterDivision + p {text-indent:0; margin-top 2em}

All works fine for me. However, don't forget to check that your target device/app supports this kind of standard styling...

For a scene break,you don't want to use a margin-top. It doesn't work. When you have the space at the end of the page, the space gets lost. Use padding-top: 2em; as the space is not lost.

Instead of using just space or a graphic or * * * (looks awful), I use an <hr/>. The following code and it works very well.

Code:
hr {
  margin-top: 1em;
  margin-right: 40%;
  margin-bottom: 0.9em;
  margin-left: 40%;
  border-top: 2px solid;
}
Baen books does something I find just plain wrong. They indent the first paragraph of a chapter and the paragraph after a scene break. This is something I really dislike.

Then there are the books that don't indent the paragraph after some offset text. Again that just looks wrong because this is not a new scene.
Jon -

Please don't take a 1.5 year old post out of context...it confuses people. Also, you missed the point of my post again. The post was to say that multiple selectors, separated by a comma, worked fine in all the devices I have tried. It was not to get back to your personal preference about using padding instead of margin.

OBTW - just to point out - you are arguing to use padding-top instead of margin-top, but then your example <hr> uses margin....

If anyone cares, there are several images that show how padding gives extra space at the top of a page, vs. margin, which doesn't. Some people may want that space at the top of a page, some may not. Some may just prefer an asterism or a fleur. (hey that rhymed ) It is up to the author/publisher to determine which css they wish to use... that thread goes into greater detail about the pros/cons of margin vs. padding vs. asterisms for section breaks.

Last edited by Turtle91; 05-23-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #69
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For full clarity - since the post you referenced was so old -

I also use the <hr/> to denote scene breaks. Apparently, that is the standard for assistive technology to determine scene breaks (or at least it was when I read the article last year...)
It is possible to fancy-up the <hr> to include a fleuron, or asterisks, not just a horizontal line:

Code:
HTML:
<hr class="ChDiv"/>

CSS:
hr.ChDiv {
  border: none; 
  margin: 1.25em auto; 
  height: .5em;
  background: transparent url("../Images/fleur.gif") no-repeat center;
  background-size: auto 100%;
  overflow: hidden;
  page-break-inside: avoid;
  break-inside: avoid;
}
The margin can be adjusted as necessary to complement the image size.

The height can be switched to "width" (with corresponding switch in background size) to accommodate taller vs. wider fleurs.
eg.
width: 3em;
background-size: 100% auto;

You can also include strings if you like:

Code:
hr.ChDiv {
  margin: 1.5em 0; 
  text-align: center; 
  letter-spacing: 1em;
  height:1em; 
  border:none; 
  background-color:transparent}

hr.ChDiv:before {content: "***"}
-or-
hr.ChDiv:before {content: "•••"}
or even MORE fancy: (taken from MDN webdocs)

Code:
hr.ChDiv {
    border: none;
    border-top: 3px double #333;
    color: #333;
    overflow: visible;
    text-align: center;
    height: 5px;
}

hr.ChDiv:after {
    background: #fff;
    content: '§';
    padding: 0 4px;
    position: relative;
    top: -13px;
}
Be careful though, some older devices might not support the "content" option for use of strings... it seems to work fine on my ePub 2 books. YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-05-23 121919.png
Views:	211
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	187288  

Last edited by Turtle91; 05-23-2021 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:24 PM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
None. Even for your quotation marks fetish, take a look at the Wikipedia Quotation marks entry for the sheer variety used in different countries.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:33 PM   #71
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

And, yes Jon, you can even include CSS that automatically non-indents paragraphs following section breaks, or headers, or blockquotes, etc. I didn't include that in the image, or css, above, as that wasn't the point of the thread.... but you can do something like this:

Code:
 hr.ChDiv + p {text-indent: 0}
And now back to the intent of this thread " ‘Punctuation rules of thumb'”...Sorry for the thread drift

Last edited by Turtle91; 05-23-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #72
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
None. Even for your quotation marks fetish, take a look at the Wikipedia Quotation marks entry for the sheer variety used in different countries.
That table was pretty interesting!

Other than some positioning variations (first quote on the bottom, last on the top) it appears that the trend for primary quotes is a double mark (“…”, «…»,《…》) and alternate quotes is a singular of the same mark (‘…’, ‹…›,〈…〉) with the exception of a couple languages that use brackets, in either horizontal or vertical script (「…」, ﹁ ⋮ ﹂,『…』,﹃⋮﹄).

The only languages in that table that reverse that trend are English(UK), Scottish, and Welsh.... so, once again, the Britons got it backward!!

Seriously though, if we had some alien invasion that took control of the entire planet and forced us to have a single quotation system, it doesn't appear that it would be too difficult to decide on one.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:24 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
OBTW - just to point out - you are arguing to use padding-top instead of margin-top, but then your example <hr> uses margin....
There is a difference. Using margin-top when you want blank space for a section break does not work when that space is at the bottom of the screen. But padding-top does even if it has to add the space to the top of the next screen.

With the hr you don't need padding-top because even if you lose the space, you do see the line at the bottom of the screen. It's the same with your examples of section breaks. As long as you can see the line or whatever is used at the bottom of the screen, then you know that's where the section breaks and the next paragraph starts the next section.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:08 PM   #74
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Are you talking after a blockquote?

Because there's a very valid difference between:
  • blockquote + noindent next paragraph
  • blockquote + indented next paragraph

The 1st is a continuation of the previous pre-blockquote paragraph. (Think very long quotation stuck in the middle of 1 large paragraph.)

The 2nd is telling you you're starting a new paragraph.

Quote:
Personally I think a space at opening dash and after closing dash would work like (brackets), but I've never seen it and so it looks odd. Usually em with no spaces or en with a space on both sides.
The Quotation Dash?

It's used in various languages, like Spanish. It was discussed in detail in this topic:

2019: "No break space and alignment"

The actual Unicode character for that type should be:

― HORIZONTAL BAR (U+2015)

but its support in fonts/devices in ebooks is... dubious. So most people use the EM DASH instead. (Both look exactly the same, just may have extremely minor spacing/line-breaking differences.)

Quote:
There is no good reason for the rest of the world to adopt Webster's spellings and one particular set of USA punctuation rules.
Sure there is. America best! All other 7.5+ billion people are wrong!!!

You don't like my Style Guide? (With all my unique little niggles and tweaks to it?) Get out of here and go back to where you came from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post

And almost every ebook.

One relatively common one I run across is the:

"Three Em Dash"

It's typically used in a Bibliography when you have two+ citations in a row with the exact same author:
  • Fitzhugh, George. Cannibals All! Or Slaves Without Masters. Richmond, VA: A. Morris Publisher, 1857.
  • ———. Sociology for the South, Or the Failure of Free Society. Richmond, VA: A. Morris Publisher, 1854.

In many cases, the person accidentally only used 1 or 2 dashes (or heaven help you, a bunch of hyphens in a row).

(I just brought this up tangentially in a history book I worked on a few years ago. Discussing superscripts + footnotes + citations. See Post #27: "superscript code".)

Side Note: In actuality, there are these two Unicode characters:
  • U+2E3A ⸺ TWO-EM DASH
  • U+2E3B ⸻ THREE-EM DASH

but support for these is pretty horrible. So easier to just use the correct number of normal EM DASH.

Note: The "Two Em Dash" would be used when text is redacted/missing:
  • As Mrs. S—— told me in the police report: [...]

Quote:
It is up to the author/publisher to determine which css they wish to use... that thread goes into greater detail about the pros/cons of margin vs. padding vs. asterisms for section breaks.

That's the ultimate thread on scenebreaks.

I highly recommend everyone just go back and reread that topic from the beginning.

No need to rehash all the same arguments a year later in a completely unrelated thread.

(Although as was discussed in that topic, I do agree with JSWolf with padding... IF you're only relying on spacing and nothing else for your scenebreaks [which is a very poor idea].)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 05-23-2021 at 07:58 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:31 AM   #75
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
As Mrs. S—— told me in the police report
So popular in the 18th & 19th C.
Often used with years and places too.