Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Which overdrive ebooks from your library can't be downloaded/read on your Kobo?

As for me I've noticed that the following books can be read on the OverDrive app or the Libby app on my Android, but are not downloaded onto my Kobo Forma:

Seven Habits of highly effective people, Stephen Covey
Alone Together, by Sherry Turkle
Trump's America, by Newt Gingrich
Trumpocracy, by David Frum
Getting to Yes, by Roger Fisher

Can you download and read these books on your Kobo device?

Sat Oct 26 13:27:02 PDT 2019 UPDATE:
Reading People

How Seeing the World through the Lens of Personality Changes Everything
by Anne Bogel
Publisher: Baker Publishing Group
Kindle Book

Release date: September 19, 2017

OverDrive Read

ISBN: 9781493412280
File size: 6411 KB

EPUB ebook

ISBN: 9781493412280
File size: 6604 KB

----
The Plant Paradox Cookbook
Publisher: HarperCollins
OverDrive Read

ISBN: 9780062843388
File size: 89274 KB
Release date: April 10, 2018

EPUB ebook

ISBN: 9780062843388
File size: 89276 KB
Release date: April 10, 2018

Last edited by droopy; 10-26-2019 at 04:29 PM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:39 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, but, there are far to many things going on for that to be a useful test.

Firstly, the books have to be in a library that the person doing the test has access to. Looking at mine, none of them are there.

Then, it needs to be the same edition. If these book were in my local library, it is unlikely that they would be the same edition as for someone accessing the library in, say, the US.

And of course, the book actually has to be available to borrow right now.

A much better technique is for you to search for the book in the library using your device. If you find it, then look at the menu to see what you can do. And check the ISBN to compare with the version you are getting. Or, search the store and see what the options are. Or look at your library in the Kobo store site and see if the book is there.

But, basically, not every book you can borrow from your library will be available through Kobo. They do need to be the same edition. And, there are some errors where link between the books or library has not been setup. It it looks like it should be available through Kobo, report it to them and they can fix it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Only one of the books, Alone Together, by Sherry Turkle is available to borrow at my Library, others I would have to put a hold on so only able to test with the one book and it doesn't download to any of my Kobo readers.

ISBN matches on searching Overdrive on the Kobo Aura One to what I see in the downloaded book on my phone using the Libby app, but if I search the Kobo store from Aura One I get a different ISBN.

Last edited by jiminrussell; 10-25-2019 at 10:07 PM. Reason: updated
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:03 PM   #4
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I have run into several books like this and had to sideload them. This was a pain since I really wanted library access away from home. I know it's possible to search on the Kobo and find books that are available, but I wanted to be able to use my phone to access my wishlist, holds, etc. and check out, then obtain the books on my Kobo. (This was my process with my old Sony Reader before it lost the ability to download library books due to Overdrive system upgrades.)

Most books I checked out using my phone were obtainable on the Kobo by syncing but several were not and had to be sideloaded at home from my PC.

On the advice of fellow Mobilereader rcentros I bought a cheap used Tolino reader. It can access the library website directly like my Sony used to. The browser is slow but if I use my phone to select and check out books then I can go to my library Loans page on the Tolino and download the books.

I still use the Kobo at home as it has a nicer screen, more options and a comfort light, but if I am going to be away from my computer and want to be able to get a new library book I take my Tolino.

It's an option to consider if being able to get library books directly on the reader without worrying about whether the Kobo store has the same edition is important to you.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:27 PM   #5
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
Only one of the books, Alone Together, by Sherry Turkle is available to borrow at my Library, others I would have to put a hold on so only able to test with the one book and it doesn't download to any of my Kobo readers.

ISBN matches on searching Overdrive on the Kobo Aura One to what I see in the downloaded book on my phone using the Libby app, but if I search the Kobo store from Aura One I get a different ISBN.

In the Libby app and OverDrive app, I can't find the ISBN of Alone Together.

Here's the the book details I found:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iMarkup_20191025_192437.png
Views:	156
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	174540  
Advert
Old 10-25-2019, 10:33 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
As for me I've noticed that the following books can be read on the OverDrive app or the Libby app on my Android, but are not downloaded onto my Kobo Forma:

Seven Habits of highly effective people, Stephen Covey
Alone Together, by Sherry Turkle
Trump's America, by Newt Gingrich
Trumpocracy, by David Frum
Getting to Yes, by Roger Fisher

Can you download and read these books on your Kobo device?
My local library has three of the five — none of which match the ISBN number or publishing date of the ones being sold on Kobo...

7 Habits of...
Overdrive, Dec 2nd, 2009 (ISBN: 9780795323423) RosettaBooks
Kobo, Jan 1st, 2016 (ISBN: 9781633533103) Mango Media

Alone Together
Overdrive, Jan 11th, 2011 (ISBN: 9781541697591)
Kobo, Nov 7th, 2017 (ISBN: 9780465093663)

Trumpocracy
Overdrive, Jan 16th, 2018 (ISBN: 9780062796752) Harper Collins
Kobo, Oct 9th, 2018 (ISBN: 9780062898203) Harper Paperbacks

My understanding is that the ISBN has to match to work in the Kobo Overdrive (on device) scheme.

You should still be able to download via ADE and your computer — or get a cheap Tolino for the non-conforming books if you want to avoid using your computer altogether.

EDIT: Looks like 4691mls beat me to the last suggestion. If at all interested, GoodyStore still has a couple Tolino Shine 2s and a Tolino Vision 2...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tolino-Shin...ox!83646!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tolino-Visi...ox!83646!US!-1

(The Vision 2 is waterproof and has a flush screen, but its resolution is 212 ppi instead of 300. The Vision 3, 4, and now 5 have 300 ppi screens.)

Last edited by rcentros; 10-25-2019 at 11:03 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:33 PM   #7
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
It's possible if you 'open book' you'll find the ISBN in the first few pages. Though I haven't used this feature of Libby so I can't say for sure.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:50 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
It's possible if you 'open book' you'll find the ISBN in the first few pages. Though I haven't used this feature of Libby so I can't say for sure.
Overdrive has a detail section that lists the ISBN (make sure it's for the ePub version and not Kindle), and the Kobo bookstore has their ISBN at the bottom of the particular book's page.

I noticed that a couple of these books (on Kobo) for download are ePub 3 instead of ePub 2. I don't know if that means anything, but I thought it was interesting.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:44 AM   #9
droopy
Guru

Do our libraries/ Kobo/ OverDrive know that we cannot read some eBooks on our Kobo readers?

Since rakuten made the overdrive library system, I would think that they would want to get rid of this problem. without this problem, there is one less roadblock in the way of getting a kobo reader.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:46 AM   #10
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
— or get a cheap Tolino for the non-conforming books if you want to avoid using your computer altogether.
Thanks for your suggestion, but I don't want to get another e-reader. I'll try to find a way to sideload the books.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:50 AM   #11
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Overdrive has a detail section that lists the ISBN (make sure it's for the ePub version and not Kindle), and the Kobo bookstore has their ISBN at the bottom of the particular book's page.

I noticed that a couple of these books (on Kobo) for download are ePub 3 instead of ePub 2. I don't know if that means anything, but I thought it was interesting.
Hmmm, here is the details page from the OverDrive app for the alone Together book. It does not mention the ISBN. I believe I chose to download the epub version. [ I am allergic to Kindle. ]

that is a very interesting observation. Thank you for pointing that out.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191025-214933_OverDrive.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	174542
Old 10-26-2019, 01:04 AM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion, but I don't want to get another e-reader. I'll try to find a way to sideload the books.
I just like the way Tolinos handle Overdrive books so I always mention them when this subject comes up. I should probably break that habit.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:08 AM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Hmmm, here is the details page from the OverDrive app for the alone Together book. It does not mention the ISBN. I believe I chose to download the epub version. [ I am allergic to Kindle. ]
I've never used the Android or iOS Overdrive apps, I'm just going by what I see in a web browser on my computer. Now that I look closer, I see they don't list the Kindle ISBN anyhow.

Anyhow, a couple screenshots of what I see in the browser for reference...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alone2.png
Views:	157
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	174543   Click image for larger version

Name:	trumpoc.png
Views:	144
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	174544  

Last edited by rcentros; 10-26-2019 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:16 AM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Do our libraries/ Kobo/ OverDrive know that we cannot read some eBooks on our Kobo readers?

Since rakuten made the overdrive library system, I would think that they would want to get rid of this problem. without this problem, there is one less roadblock in the way of getting a kobo reader.
You would think so, but this has been an issue right from the start of Overdrive on Kobos. It looks like Kobo books are based on the newest editions whereas the Overdrive books are probably stuck at whatever edition the library originally bought. It seems like the Kobo method could base searches off title and author when the ISBN doesn't match up however. Of course I speak in total ignorance of the process. I'm guessing there's a lot more to it than I know or understand.
Old 10-26-2019, 01:46 AM   #15
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
You would think so, but this has been an issue right from the start of Overdrive on Kobos. It looks like Kobo books are based on the newest editions whereas the Overdrive books are probably stuck at whatever edition the library originally bought. It seems like the Kobo method could base searches off title and author when the ISBN doesn't match up however. Of course I speak in total ignorance of the process. I'm guessing there's a lot more to it than I know or understand.
I imagine it’s all tied up in gobility gook legalese having to do with rights to distribute which causes the layman to say “this makes no sense you’re utilizing the same system just send the best available match’ to which lawyers reply ‘but then we wouldn’t have jobs’.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote