Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-05-2019, 05:49 PM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I like to keep the nomination second-line info somewhat aligned but this month was a challenge. I just gave up trying to use a nicer-looking normal proportional font and went with a monospaced font and plenty of periods, heh (this site does not allow multiple spaces; all but one in a row will just disappear). Anyway, we've ended up with one of our largest slates in a long time and the options look quite interesting!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:51 PM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nominations are closed and voting is now open!

Voting will close exactly four days from this post.

Each person has NINE votes to use.
Advert
Old 01-06-2019, 01:01 PM   #18
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I've read samples of all the ones I wasn't already familiar with and really all look interesting to me. There is definitely a big difference in lengths between some of these and I wonder if it may be the biggest variety of lengths we've ever had in a single month. I'm up for any of them though, although with the 1,000+ page Neruda I'm assuming Bookworm_Girl means, similar to the Longfellow, for us to read a sampling of the book of our own choosing rather than the entire book of poems. So with that in mind, my votes are:

-1 to The Taste of Words
-1 to The Poetry of Pablo Neruda
-1 to Goblin Market and Other Poems
-1 to Don Juan
-1 to Idylls of the King
-1 to Rime of the Ancient Mariner
-1 to The Notebook
-1 to Sweet Bean Paste
-1 to A Month in the Country

I'm afraid that leaves Longfellow out to pasture but if that wins I'll be happy too; I just couldn't give a vote to them all. I'm also afraid this means I'm more or less leaving it up to others to choose the selection this month and I'm looking forward to see what wins!
Old 01-06-2019, 01:20 PM   #19
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

I hope I'm doing this right:

The Taste of Words: 2

Selected Poems of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 1

Goblin Market and Other Poems by Christina Rossetti 1

Idylls of the King by Alfred Tennyson 1

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner 2

The Notebook by Ágota Kristóf 2
Old 01-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #20
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Sweet Bean Paste - 4 votes

Goblin Market - 4 votes

Idylls of the King - 1 vote
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2019, 05:45 PM   #21
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
I hope I'm doing this right:

The Taste of Words: 2

Selected Poems of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 1

Goblin Market and Other Poems by Christina Rossetti 1

Idylls of the King by Alfred Tennyson 1

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner 2

The Notebook by Ágota Kristóf 2
Yep, looks good and you've now used up all your votes for the month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Sweet Bean Paste - 4 votes

Goblin Market - 4 votes

Idylls of the King - 1 vote
astrangerhere, it happens to the best of us but you can only give up to two votes per nomination, so the counted votes in your post are 2 for Sweet Bean Paste, 2 for Goblin Market and 1 for Idylls of the King, leaving you with four more votes available this month should you want to use them.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:01 PM   #22
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Yep, looks good and you've now used up all your votes for the month.

astrangerhere, it happens to the best of us but you can only give up to two votes per nomination, so the counted votes in your post are 2 for Sweet Bean Paste, 2 for Goblin Market and 1 for Idylls of the King, leaving you with four more votes available this month should you want to use them.
My bad! I get fuzzed betwixt the 2 clubs on rules and regs. Will redistribute my other 4 tomorrow.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:39 PM   #23
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

I'll give one each to the Longfellow and Byron. I am going to hang on to the last two for a bit longer.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:07 AM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
2 - Longfellow
2 - Rossetti
1 - Sweet Bean Paste
1 - Tennyson
1 - Byron
1 - Carr
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #25
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

About seven and a half hours left to go!
Old 01-09-2019, 11:17 AM   #26
Spinnenmonat
Guru
Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 Kindle Voyage 3G
2 to Byron, 2 to Tennyson, 2 to Coleridge, 1 to Carr
Spinnenmonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:22 PM   #27
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I won’t be able to properly edit the first post for a little while but with initial voting over it looks like we’re starting out the new year with a touch of a tie!

When I get to a computer (and not mobile phone) I’ll put everything in order and start the run-off.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:49 AM   #28
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

As mentioned, initial voting is complete and we have a tie! This means we'll have a run-off between:

-Goblin Market and Other Poems by Christina Rossetti
-Idylls of the King by Alfred Tennyson

Goblin v. King. Whichever wins, one thing is certain- we'll have our first 19th-century selection in well over two years.

Run-off voting is now open!

Voting will close exactly TWO DAYS from this post.

Each person has ONE vote to use.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:01 AM   #29
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Looking up Goblin Market I see that it contains a poem inspired by a massacre of the British during the 1857 rebellion. At least some of the Urdu poems I have yet to read were inspired by British atrocities carried out in reprisal, so it might be an interesting exercise to read poems from both sides. For that reason, and because we all know that " Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government" I'm giving my runoff vote to Rosetti
Old 01-10-2019, 07:25 AM   #30
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Tossing another in for Rosetti