Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
bran
Enthusiast
bran began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR800S
alternative filesystems

Hi All,

I've bought a new microsd and formatted it with ext2 filesystem instead of vfat. I copied the contents from the original card to the ext2 card on my linux box and inserted that into my DR800S.

It works. My DR800S seems more responsive and the reindexing is definately faster. Can anyone else confirm?

This will not be helpful to windows users as that OS neither supports ext2. I have managed a test on a windows device since, and contrary to my speculation in a thread in de iRex dev forum the disk exports it's native format. The disk my DR800S with ext2fs emulates is recognized as a disk but the partition is not.

Regards Bran

Last edited by bran; 09-24-2010 at 01:57 PM.
bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
Nice work

Quote:
Originally Posted by bran View Post
This will not be helpful to windows users as that OS neither supports ext2.
Not really true. Take a look at http://www.fs-driver.org/ , I remember I've tried it once - works just fine.
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
bran
Enthusiast
bran began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
Nice work

Not really true. Take a look at http://www.fs-driver.org/ , I remember I've tried it once - works just fine.
I realized that almost as I posted. I know there are ext2 tools for windows but, I'm not going to try them. I only have sporadic access to windows machines (Yes, I do have an Windows7 box running in virtualbox but I never mount my DR800 in that and, I do not want to spend the time getting that to work with ext2 via usb.) In that sense if you do not know how to use the ext2 tools as a windows user, you are stuck with the vfat implementation.

OTOH, if you managed to format a microsd with ext2 using windows you probably have the expertise to mount the resulting sd card.

My concern regarding that was more aimed at people who use calibre to connect to their DR800 rather than mount tools. The calibre implementaion I use on my linux box has no problem mounting as the ext2 fs. It is natively supported after all. I have no idea how calibre reacts on windows with an ext2 formatted microsd card, I imagine that out of the box the answer is, not well.

Regards Bran

Last edited by bran; 09-24-2010 at 04:44 PM.
bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
http://www.ext2fsd.com/ has everything for a Windows user. Works fine on my Windows 7 laptop.

1. Use the installer to have the driver. Alternatively get .zip archive and do a manual installation (install xp or install w64). Run as Administrator on Vista/7 !
2. Start ext2fs Manager, this will load the driver. It may happen you need to open Options and uncheck "mount as read-only".
3. connect DR 800 to Windows, you'll see SD card as say disk Y:
4. *backup *all* SD content*
5. start cmd.exe, browse to installed ext2fs files (Program Files/??? or your manual installation folder in case of using .zip archive)
6. to format Y: as ext2 do............... Mke2fs -b 4096 -L DR800 Y:
7. once done you can copy the books to SD as it is accessible with ext2fs driver.
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote