Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-03-2017, 12:49 PM   #2041
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliver View Post
Hi all,

I have a Paperweight 2 (2013) AKA:
Serial Number: 905A 2201 4223 0KKG
Firmware version: Kindle 5.8.9 (3164600017)

I have tried following this forum and http://lifehacker.com/how-to-jailbre...dle-1783864074
But get stuck at the first hurdle.
I understand I need to downgrade my firmware but when I transfer the .bin file to my kindle, unmount it and try to "update" it the update selection is grayed out. When I reconnect to my computer the .bin file is missing.
What am I doing wrong?
Can I jailbreak from this version of firmware?
I'm confused right now, not that that is difficult to do
Any pointers greatly appreciated

Regards
Clive
There is NO jailbreak for this version. Right now, your choices are enjoy your paperwhite as it is or return it.
I have read that article. It neglects to say read the spoiler in the first post of this thread. In two days that article you linked will be 11 months old.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #2042
cliver
Connoisseur
cliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enough

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Thanks Cinasjoy, that's kind of what I was expectingting to hear but hoping for better. I love the reader just want a better way to browse/search by series.
Thanks anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
cliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #2043
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Hi all,

I have a Paperweight 2 (2013) AKA:
Serial Number: 905A 2201 4223 0KKG
Firmware version: Kindle 5.8.9 (3164600017)

I have tried following this forum and http://lifehacker.com/how-to-jailbre...dle-1783864074
But get stuck at the first hurdle.
I understand I need to downgrade my firmware but when I transfer the .bin file to my kindle, unmount it and try to "update" it the update selection is grayed out. When I reconnect to my computer the .bin file is missing.
What am I doing wrong?
Can I jailbreak from this version of firmware?
I'm confused right now, not that that is difficult to do
Any pointers greatly appreciated

Regards
Clive
Oops, missed the page break, oh well . . . .

Thing you are doing wrong is not reading the directions in the first post of this thread.

Pay particular attention to the content of the first spoiler you see near the top of the first post.

Other than that, if your getting your instructions from a different site, let that other site provide the support.

Last edited by knc1; 06-03-2017 at 02:19 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:28 PM   #2044
cliver
Connoisseur
cliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enough

Thanks knc1, it's the first spoiler that leads me to think mine can't be hacked.
I was kind of hoping that I could downgrade the software and do it but it looks like I can't 😭

Old 06-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #2045
cliver
Connoisseur

On another tack, what's the best way to source a "hackable" kindle paperwhite?
I love the reading experience but the book management sucks. That sais, all I really want to do that I can't now is brows/search by series without having to add books manually to a collection.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #2046
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I love the reading experience but the book management sucks. That sais, all I really want to do that I can't now is brows/search by series without having to add books manually to a collection.
Look on ebay and hope it hasn't auto updated.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #2047
cliver
Connoisseur

Could be an expensive operation by the time I got one that hasn't updated.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:21 PM   #2048
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Could be an expensive operation by the time I got one that hasn't updated.

Best I could do for you would be a K3 that needs updated.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #2049
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
By that do mean that a PW-1 would be acceptable?
The PW-1 does not have any software newer than 5.6.1.1 available (but it can be jailbroken).

If your in the USA, PM me.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:16 AM   #2050
muitommy
muitommy began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite 2
Hi guys, new here.
Just to confirm, Mine is paperwhite 2nd and i just accidentally updated 5.8.9.2
The jailbreak will not work, right?

Thanks!
muitommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:35 AM   #2051
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by muitommy View Post
Hi guys, new here.

Thanks!
Sounds like a quote from the first spoiler in the first post of this thread.

Nothing has changed since I wrote the contents of that first spoiler.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:42 AM   #2052
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by muitommy View Post
Hi guys, new here.

Thanks!
Serial JB will work on any firmware version any coz it is operating on the serial console. But there isn't a Software JB for fw >=5.8.8. You may hopefully wait for miracles to happen or proceed with a serial JB.
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #2053
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
Serial JB will work on any firmware version any coz it is operating on the serial console. But there isn't a Software JB for fw >=5.8.8. You may hopefully wait for miracles to happen or proceed with a serial JB.
Please edit your post as one of the newer kindles does not have a serial port.
Life lesson # 102. Research thoroughly before saying something can be done.

Attention all others, the serial port jailbreak requires getting the proper parts and taking apart your device.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:49 AM   #2054
Nicotin3
Nicotin3 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Good day,

New PW3 user here and I would like to jb and install koreader for better pdf view.
Please confirm if I am correct before doing something wrong.

I own a PW3 from amazon.fr with 5.8.7.0.1 with special offers.
As I read, I can jb it and then ota update to the last version and reinstall all the packages. Is this correct?
The only thing that is affected, is that the special offers will still be there.

Thank you!
Nicotin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:29 AM   #2055
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
@Nicotin3: You're right.

BTW: Just to make sure, I would recommend to update manually to 5.8.7.0.1 in the last step only, instead of updating to the brand new 5.8.9.2, and then using the "prevent OTA update" trick if you're really interested in utilizing the device online, i.e. with airplane mode OFF.
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote