Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #1
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast
Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Lightbulb Need Help to decide the right e-Reader

Hi

I must say that i will be mostly reading pdf s , not too complicated or have too much size .
I have read or watched reviews of the following devices :
B&N Nook Glowlight Plus
Bookeen Cybook Muse
Boyue T62
Energy Sistem Pro
Icarus Illumina HD 2
Cybook Ocean
Energy Sistem PRO
Energy Sistem Slim
Icarus Illumina XL
InkBook 8 e-Reader
inkBOOK Obsidian
Kobo Aura H2O e-Reader
Kobo Aura HD
Pocketbook sense
Pocketbook Ultra
Tolino Shine 2 HD
Tolino Vision 3 HD
Amazon Kindle Paperwhite ( all three generations )
Sony PRS-T3
It has been a long time since these reviews were done , so my question is that , has anything changed after firmware updates ( if there is one ) ? I really liked nook glowlight plus but as written in the reviews , it is a pdf reader killer !!! The same goes with Tolino Shine 2 HD and Tolino Vision 3 HD … the stock pdf experience with Icarus Illumina XL was terrible ( when it comes to pinch and zooming ) but i could not find any videoes that could show the pdf experience with other pdf reading apps . InkBook 8 was like Icarus Illumina XL , the stock experience was terribe … But Pocketbook sense was very very good , there were some little problems that were ignoreable , are these lags fixed ? And it was said Pocketbook Ultra has some problems with pdf rendering engine , is anything changed since ?
So considering what i have said about my needs and what i have said about ebook readers , what do you sugest me ?
So far i liked Cybook Ocean-Kobo Aura H2O-Pocketbook sense-Amazon Kindle Paperwihte 2015-Sony PRS-T3 ( i know sony has abondend Ebook reader Market ) . Most of my books are in Persian , German and Russian , which one supports them ( i think it is not neccesary to say that my books are in pdf format ) ? And the battery life is important too .
I was today checking eBay for the price of Kobo Aura H2O and saw something very odd … there were ones that costed just about 120$ and there were ones that costed 190$-200$ … i was very confused , until i knew that 120$ ones have this written in the discription :
Rakuten Kobo e-book store, only PDF books that are sold in the Rakuten Kobo e-book store will be supported , so i wanted to know if it is possible to sideload and read Pdfs using koreader
At the end i apologize for my possible dictation mistakes .
Thanks a Lot
Michael.A.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
PDF is not a good format for an ereader.
You might be better off looking at a tablet.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You should really be looking at a device with at least an 8" screen (ideally 9.7") for PDFs. I really wouldn't recommend anything smaller.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:55 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I thought my PRS-950 handled PDFs reasonably well, and I still fire it up for that purpose. However, I wouldn't advise anyone's buying one at this late date.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #5
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I had a Kobo Touch for a while, it could not handle PDFs.

I am able to read them on my Sonys but it's not very pretty.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2016, 10:15 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
All the firmware versions I have used on my Kobo Touch display PDFs quite well. The problem is the navigation is clunky. This is especially so if you need to zoom in on a page if the text is to small.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:52 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
If you're set on an eink reader, can I ask where are you getting the PDFs (library, bookshop?)? Is there a better format available from these sources? Or are they complex PDFs like scientific papers?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:11 AM   #8
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast
Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
If you're set on an eink reader, can I ask where are you getting the PDFs (library, bookshop?)? Is there a better format available from these sources? Or are they complex PDFs like scientific papers?
there are scientific papers , which i have downloaded from internet , but they are not so complicated , a mix of text and formulas , and sometimes charts , images , etc .
Old 07-02-2016, 03:15 AM   #9
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post

I am able to read them on my Sonys but it's not very pretty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
All the firmware versions I have used on my Kobo Touch display PDFs quite well. The problem is the navigation is clunky. This is especially so if you need to zoom in on a page if the text is to small.
i have seen some videos of navigation on Kobo Aura H2O , that was good to me .
but the more important question about Kobo , was that , why they are cheaper ?
Link 1 Link 2
as you can see in the links above , there is a noticeable price diffrence .
thanks
Old 07-02-2016, 03:18 AM   #10
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
PDF is not a good format for an ereader.
You might be better off looking at a tablet.
yes , i know , but at this time i read my PDFs on my laptop and it causes too much eyestrain and i want to get rid of that .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You should really be looking at a device with at least an 8" screen (ideally 9.7") for PDFs. I really wouldn't recommend anything smaller.
i checked some 8" ebook readers , but the problem was they were expensive ( because i do not live in europe or america ) and i could not affort them .
Old 07-02-2016, 04:13 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.A.H View Post
there are scientific papers , which i have downloaded from internet , but they are not so complicated , a mix of text and formulas , and sometimes charts , images , etc .
I suggest a tablet.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:48 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, this is precisely what I use a tablet for. It really is a much better choice for PDF.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:04 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
but the more important question about Kobo , was that , why they are cheaper ?
Link 1 Link 2
thanks
Sorry, no real idea. Either one of those sellers has bought them at a much better price than the other, or one is trying to make more profit from each sale. Of course, the cheaper does charge for shipping, but that doesn't bring it up to the other.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
thanks
I think it would be wise to be very wary of an ebay seller selling lots of new-in-box tech at well below market price. And be aware that if you do end up receiving a device from them, there will be no warranty.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I think it would be wise to be very wary of an ebay seller selling lots of new-in-box tech at well below market price. And be aware that if you do end up receiving a device from them, there will be no warranty.
But you can get a 2-year Squaretrade warranty when you purchase either of these. So there can be a warranty if one wants.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon kindle paperwhite, cybook ocean, kobo aura h2o, pocketbook sense, sony prs t3