Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-03-2018, 07:57 PM   #1
Teeg
Avid Reader
Teeg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Auro One LE, Kobo Forma
Trying to set up a calibre server online

I've been trying to figure out how to set up a Calibre server that can be accessed when we're out of the house. I have the built in server running, but that only allows me to access Calibre when I'm home, not when I'm traveling. What I'd really like to do is set it up on a domain that I own, so that I can easily sign in to the site, and use the program to add or download books via my phone or laptop without needing to be at the same location as my permanent calibre library on my desktop. Is it possible to do this?

I have a MyCloud which I've considered trying if I can't figure another way, but it wouldn't be my first option (it's currently not connected).

Thanks for any help, ideas, or suggestions.
Teeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeg View Post
I've been trying to figure out how to set up a Calibre server that can be accessed when we're out of the house. I have the built in server running, but that only allows me to access Calibre when I'm home, not when I'm traveling. What I'd really like to do is set it up on a domain that I own, so that I can easily sign in to the site, and use the program to add or download books via my phone or laptop without needing to be at the same location as my permanent calibre library on my desktop. Is it possible to do this?

I have a MyCloud which I've considered trying if I can't figure another way, but it wouldn't be my first option (it's currently not connected).

Thanks for any help, ideas, or suggestions.
What I did was to place the address and ports used by the calibre server into a port forwarding table on my wireless router so packets on those ports from outside are forwarded to the calibre server. That and using a dynamic DNS address allows me to access the server from outside by name which takes care of the occasional IP address change by my ISP. I used to use DynDNS but when they dropped their free service, I went with DuckDNS but there are several other free alternatives.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote