Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #1
bonacker
Connoisseur
bonacker began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 10, 11th Gen.
Text reflow on Fires

This must have come up before, but a search didn't provide any answers.

On my 7" Fire tablet from '15 and the 8" from '16 none of the browsers I have installed (Chrome, Firefox, Puffin, Dolphin, Opera Mini, UC, and others I've forgotten) as well as the native Fire browser, Silk, reflow the text when a page is enlarged via a stretch gesture. The text never wraps. It looks to me like it must be a problem with the Android or Fire OS, not the browsers. The Fires are presently on 5.3.3. When they were on earlier versions, they had the same problem.

Has anyone been able to make the text wrap when enlarging a page on these devices? If not, why hasn't this significant shortcoming been addressed by Amazon?
bonacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
You are basically zooming so no text changes. Web pages typically aren't reflowable.
Try changing the text size.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 10-01-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
bonacker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Web pages typically aren't reflowable.
That has not been my experience.

I just tested Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and Edge on my Windows desktop machine. When I zoomed a page, all those browsers wrapped the text of each test webpage I went to.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just tested this page on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4. Zooming out I lost words.
Using the Chrome browser.
Also the desktop version not the mobile version of the website.

Which leads to the conclusion, it is the device not the website.
Let me check one more thing.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 10-01-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:05 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Different type of zooming. When you zoom with via a stretch gesture, you are zooming the screen, you are not enlarging the text. The contents of the screen remain the same, just the size change.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Just checked. When I went to settings in the browser I readjusted the text scaling and everything went bigger.
Finger stretch still loses words.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:20 PM   #7
bonacker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Different type of zooming. When you zoom with via a stretch gesture, you are zooming the screen, you are not enlarging the text. The contents of the screen remain the same, just the size change.
I see. Thanks. I should have asked you before I installed six browsers.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonacker View Post
I see. Thanks. I should have asked you before I installed six browsers.
If you need the text larger, change the text size. Note: it didn't work on Facebook on the original fire browser.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #9
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Opera and UC browser can both do text reflow. Don't use the mini versions. Dolphin used to do text reflow but I don't know if it still does. In Opera you need to turn it on in settings along with force zoom.

This is the reason why I don't use either Chrome or Silk browsers.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 12:12 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try Firefox.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #11
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Try Firefox.
OP said they already tried Firefox. I don't get text reflow with it either on my tablets. I just installed it again to check and immediately uninstalled. No text reflow, and I didn't see a way in settings to use Google for search instead of Yahoo.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:57 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

One advantage of Firefox is you can sync with the desktop Firefox.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #13
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
One advantage of Firefox is you can sync with the desktop Firefox.
But if I can't use Firefox on Android there's nothing to sync with.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:18 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
But if I can't use Firefox on Android there's nothing to sync with.
I use Chrome across my devices. They all sync.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #15
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I use Chrome across my devices. They all sync.
I can't use Chrome on Android either. Same problem OP is looking to solve - it doesn't reflow text. I refuse to have to pan back and forth to read text.