Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
robinhooddaffy
robinhooddaffy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
kindle 3 vs nook

ok....dilemma here. I had the Augen "The Book" and didn't like it because of unstable software. I know have the K3 and it is ok but I just am not overly fond of it. Will the Nook be any different? That is my budget area $150. I not fond of the K3's directional button and having to goto the symbol screen and back and forth. These are great ideas and I like being able to put my knitting patterns on one. I like the weight. Maybe I am just expecting too much.
robinhooddaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Go to Best Buy and try out the Nook and the Sony's there.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
sweevo
Groupie
sweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle Touch
You should visit your local Barnes & Noble, if possible. They have Nooks you can try out. Can't miss them - first thing you see when you come in.

Seriously, how often do you even need to type symbols? if it's for annotations, you can always use... shorthand of some kind, then maybe edit later on a PC? I am not sure if the Kindle PC software allows annotations.
sweevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
robinhooddaffy
robinhooddaffy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
The Sony doesn't have wi-fi so that leaves it out. I tried the display at Barnes and Noble. If it was any indication, it seems very squirrelly. It seemed to jump alot (best description I can think of). Just would like opinions if anyone has tried both and their likes and dislikes if possible and why they settled on the one they bought.
robinhooddaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't have a Nook so I cannot comment on it. If you are worried about the K3's symbol button use I would imagine that the Nook would be more problematic for you since you do not have a keyboard on it. From what I have read, taking notes and highlighting with the Nook is problematic.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhooddaffy View Post
ok....dilemma here. I had the Augen "The Book" and didn't like it because of unstable software. I know have the K3 and it is ok but I just am not overly fond of it. Will the Nook be any different? That is my budget area $150. I not fond of the K3's directional button and having to goto the symbol screen and back and forth. These are great ideas and I like being able to put my knitting patterns on one. I like the weight. Maybe I am just expecting too much.
What kindle of symbols are you having to use on a regular basis? If it's numbers you can use the key combination alt+q=1, alt+w=2... alt+p=0. It you use other symbols very often, you're kind of stuck.

Maybe a used 7 inch netbook would work better for you.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I just got my nook Wi-Fi on Saturday, and haven't had a ton of time to play with it, yet. My initial impressions are that the Kindle 3 is just a superior piece of tech. I'm finding the touchscreen on the nook to be a hindrance compared to the directional pad of the K3. It seems to take much longer to do similar things. I will wait until I read a book on the nook to fully decide, and the plan was to always think about keeping both for the different formats and library book usage for the nook. I think right now I am leaning towards keeping both, but the K3 would definitely be my preferred reader.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote