Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
Lawcheehung
Junior Kindler
Lawcheehung began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Unhappy Kindle smudging/yellowing + Case question

Hello MobileRead Kindle Readers,
I have two questions regarding the Kindle 2. Right now I have been using my Kindle with the clear sheet of plastic on it that came out of the box. I'm worried that I will scratch the screen and dirt/grease build up will form on the Kindle's immaculate white body, (I suspect there will be a slicks of grease smudges over where the Kindle is held and especially on the 'Next Page' button) overtime. I also have a suspicion that the Kindle itself well turn a pale yellow after months of intense use (like many other white colored products). Have any of these particular phenomena happened to anyone?

Another problem I'm worried about is durability. I heard the e-ink screen + body can be damaged easily, especially if it gets jumbled about in a handbag/backpack. Do MobileRead readers recommend buying a case? Would it be better to have one of those stick on skins or a case to slip in?

Lawcheehung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There is no need to keep the plastic sheet on the screen. It is just going to diminish the clarity of the screen. I've had my K1 for over 2 years, and it is the same color that it started out as. My husband's is also the same color. I tend to have pretty clean hands when I'm reading, so I've had no issues with greasy buttons.

I have mine in the standard case that Amazon provided for the K1, but I never drop it or anything. You have to be careful, as you would for any electronic device, especially with a glass screen. I keep mine in my purse all the time, and have had no problems.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
My Kindle 2 is in an mEdge Go case and it's fine after 18+ months. It's not yellow, the screen isn't scratched (I can't imagine reading with a film over the screen), there's no dirt build up.

I would not call the Kindle delicate, but yes, some kind of a case is a smart decision. I would not just toss it uncovered into a bag or backpack and expect the screen not to scratch. If you prefer to read with it "naked," then get a slip case to store it while you aren't using it. The mEdge Go case is a jacket that stays on all the time, which is what I personally prefer. The cover folds back easily when I'm reading. A "stick on skin" is for aesthetics -- it won't protect the screen while it's in a bag, and I wouldn't rely on it as the only protection.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
there haven't been any yellowing issues I have heard of. I would recommend a skin AND a case. there are at least two different skin resources and many case resources. my personal favorite is Oberon (and for people who haven't checked recently they have new designs out!)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've had a K2 since launch day. No yellow here although if you're a smoker it might be a problem. No need to keep the plastic over the screen IMO, I'd be more worried about breaking the screen (it is glass) than scratching it. I use the basic case Amazon sold at the time and it's offered enough protection. I usually take it to work each day (in a soft sided brief case) and have traveled with it to Disney World without any damage.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I've had a K2 since launch day. No yellow here although if you're a smoker it might be a problem. No need to keep the plastic over the screen IMO, I'd be more worried about breaking the screen (it is glass) than scratching it. I use the basic case Amazon sold at the time and it's offered enough protection. I usually take it to work each day (in a soft sided brief case) and have traveled with it to Disney World without any damage.
mine has gone skiing multiple times, been to the beach, the puppy park, flown a LOT, gardens, and gets bounced on by cats. no problems!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
and gets bounced on by cats. no problems!
LOL, mine too forgot to mention that. My cats love the Kindle.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I will echo the previous posts. I have had the K2 since launch and the standard kindle cover (although I upgraded to the one with the strap) and have had no problems with discoloration or scratches.

I take it everywhere and read daily.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
Lawcheehung
Junior Kindler
Lawcheehung began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Thanks for the responses! I'll probably buy a slip-on case that I can use to store + protect it, and take it off when I'm reading since I love the 'naked' feel of the Kindle.

Karma for everyone!
Lawcheehung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawcheehung View Post
Thanks for the responses! I'll probably buy a slip-on case that I can use to store + protect it, and take it off when I'm reading since I love the 'naked' feel of the Kindle.

Karma for everyone!
That is exactly what I do! I throw it in my briefcase, purse, knitting bag. You might want to look at a skin. I got the one shown, and it makes the kindle a little easier to hold, too.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #11
laurie_lu
Connoisseur
laurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litterlaurie_lu doesn't litter

Device: none
I keep a Decalgirl skin on my Kindle. It's extremely thin and still keeps your Kindle feeling like it's naked.

http://www.decalgirl.com/category.vi...Kindle-2-Skins
laurie_lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:56 AM   #12
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawcheehung View Post
Hello MobileRead Kindle Readers,
I have two questions regarding the Kindle 2. Right now I have been using my Kindle with the clear sheet of plastic on it that came out of the box. I'm worried that I will scratch the screen and dirt/grease build up will form on the Kindle's immaculate white body, (I suspect there will be a slicks of grease smudges over where the Kindle is held and especially on the 'Next Page' button) overtime. I also have a suspicion that the Kindle itself well turn a pale yellow after months of intense use (like many other white colored products). Have any of these particular phenomena happened to anyone?

Another problem I'm worried about is durability. I heard the e-ink screen + body can be damaged easily, especially if it gets jumbled about in a handbag/backpack. Do MobileRead readers recommend buying a case? Would it be better to have one of those stick on skins or a case to slip in?

You won't scratch the screen, as it's not a touch screen... no need to put your hands on it...

If you smoke the colour may darken over time, but you'd probably not notice...

Washing hands as a part of normal hygiene, should keep your Kindle nice and white... Otherwise just wipe with a damp cloth, just as you would your phone...

I prefer a case for my kindle... I have an Oberon Case for mine... Love it.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:07 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd personally regard a case as essential.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote