Notices

Old 11-27-2006, 03:46 AM   #1
Karel
iRex Community Manager
Karel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
So currently we'd need to publish to the official IDS in order for iLiad users to download the newsletter, right?

What I was thinking for instance is a specially prepared PDF file with a weekly report of what's been going on at MobileRead (for instance, latest threads, hottest threads, with/without posts, polls, etc).
Thats correct and actually if the PDF file is supported by the iLiad, we could do this. Let me know if you are interested to do this.
Karel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:43 AM   #2
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Thank you for joining Karel!
Now we have two official iRex guys as members here...:-)
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2006, 06:57 AM   #3
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
This sounds really positive - I'm looking forward to having a use for the silver round button other that software downloads!
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:03 AM   #4
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
So I guess we need volunteer journalists now.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:20 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
So I guess we need volunteer journalists now.
... good idea Any volunteers?

In addition we could deliver an automated weekly/daily service that pulls content from MobileRead. This way you could use your iLiad to stay up-to-date with what's going on here.

PS: Welcome on board, Karel!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Trojan Horse Wisperer

What about a Newsletter like this ? (no real content yet :-) )

Quote:
... good idea Any volunteers?

In addition we could deliver an automated weekly/daily service that pulls content from MobileRead. This way you could use your iLiad to stay up-to-date with what's going on here.

PS: Welcome on board, Karel!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf THW01_alpha.pdf (86.5 KB, 369 views)
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:54 AM   #7
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdg
What about a Newsletter like this ? (no real content yet :-) )
Er, a blue typeface for links? in a black white device???
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:04 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to your positive feedback and iRex's friendly involvement we'll be definitely doing a newsletter for the iLiad.

I'll have to study a few basics about proper PDF formatting for the iLiad (if someone could summarize the important steps, I'd appreciate it) and also write the code to pull and convert the information from our database.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:03 AM   #9
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

@Alexander

I can't help you with any database work, but the Iliad likes PDF files with a 12x15cm size, I use 0.2cm margins on all sides. I create all files with the Adobe PDF printer right now and set them up as Greyscale right away (smaller files that way) without reflowing and security. Apart from that, I can't really say there is a lot of special stuff to take into consideration. If you have a testfile that you would like me to try, then just send it my way...you have the address...^^
Old 11-27-2006, 11:21 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
@Alexander

I can't help you with any database work, but the Iliad likes PDF files with a 12x15cm size, I use 0.2cm margins on all sides. I create all files with the Adobe PDF printer right now and set them up as Greyscale right away (smaller files that way) without reflowing and security. Apart from that, I can't really say there is a lot of special stuff to take into consideration. If you have a testfile that you would like me to try, then just send it my way...you have the address...^^
Thanks the measurement specifics are exactly what I need (margins). Also font-type, font-size, etc. would be helpful. Regarding conversion I am currently looking at various libraries that we can add to our webserver. One solution would be PDFLib.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:56 AM   #11
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Fontisize is a difficult one...I use 11 most of the time but sometimes also went with 12 (fontsize 12 is very comfortable to read, but it limits the amount of information per page more than I like) . Fonts are also rather difficult to decide. I don't really like hte way the Iliad displays Times New Roman. Arial is ok, but not really great...

A Font that I found very nice on the Iliad is Berling Antiqua. I'n not sure how well it would look for the "newsletter" thing though...
Old 11-27-2006, 12:08 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
A Font that I found very nice on the Iliad is Berling Antiqua. I'n not sure how well it would look for the "newsletter" thing though...
We can decide together on the content of the newsletter. The way I would do it is to automate the process and to allow for manual content if needed. For automated content we could add the following items (to name a few):
  • New Threads of the last x days (with/without replies?, iRex-only forum/all forums?)
  • New Polls (summary)
  • Most Active Threads (summary)
I am open for your suggestions.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #13
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
iRex has a pdf named How to make content for your iLiad on their website;

It is quite detailed and shows and explains every step of the process.

http://www.irextechnologies.com/file...%20iLiad_0.pdf

BTW...its great that another irex official has joined the forum.

Welcome to MB Karel!
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:25 PM   #14
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
We can decide together on the content of the newsletter. The way I would do it is to automate the process and to allow for manual content if needed. For automated content we could add the following items (to name a few):
Well... Isn't this a job for RSS...? At the moment I'm updating my RSS Illiad Aggregator to PDF, and its currently doing a very good job of Mobilereads html...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 12:31 PM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Well... Isn't this a job for RSS...? At the moment I'm updating my RSS Illiad Aggregator to PDF, and its currently doing a very good job of Mobilereads html...
True, but we'd have more control this way. For instance, our feeds don't include replies at the moment.