Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 05:53 AM   #1
Big Kev
Enthusiast
Big Kev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Ipad
Converting Files For Kindle

Have been researching which reader to buy and it looks like a Kindle is my best option as there is not much available in Australia that is comparative and competitive in price.

Just wondering if some experienced Kindle users could clarify my understanding of converting files to read on a Kindle.

I have quite a few books I have downloaded from Gutenburg and the like and a number of documents I have created myself. They are mostly in .DOC, .HTML, .PDF & .TXT format and as I understand it I need to convert them to either .AZW, .TXT, .MOBI or .PRC format to read on the Kindle.

I assume I have to send them to AMAZON to convert to .AZW and that I can convert to .TXT, .MOBI & .PRC myself using Calibre then load them on the Kindle direct from my PC via USB connection.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks
Kevin
Big Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The AZW and MOBI formats are identical. So you can either email to Amazon or use Calibre for conversion. For Calibre, convert your .DOC to .RTF (or HTML if it contains images) first.

The Kindle now supports PDFs directly, but unless they are formatted for a Kindle 2's screen you are generally better off converting them to MOBI/AZW.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Most of the Gutenberg books are available on the other public domain sites (like Mobileread, Feedbooks, and manybooks.net) already formatted for Kindle. Often, they are better formatted. I don't know, though, if there are any geographic restrictions.

Mobipocket Creator, Publisher edition will convert most basic formats, and Calibre will convert a few others. Both are free downloads.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Calibre is great, except for the PDF. I use Mobipocket Creator for that. I guess I'm just paranoid - I don't want Amazon knowing I buy books elsewhere, so I convert them myself. The few I sent to Amazon in the beginning for conversion weren't converted as the ones I did myself, anyway.

Congratulations on your K2. If you need any help, this is the place!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
Big Kev
Enthusiast
Big Kev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Ipad
Thanks everyone for the advice. Now all I need to do is get my Kindle.

While I'm waiting for it I'll start converting some files so I'm ready to go when the Kindle arrives.

Regards
Kevin
Big Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle 2
If you follow any rss feeds, Calibre does a great job of assembling them into an e-book for you. It allows me to read my hometown newspaper while traveling internationally, for example. A great program with a very responsive developer.
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
Stevo
Stevo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3!!!
Calibre is great at converting, but I've sent a bunch of PDF's and RTF's to Amazon and they've come back perfectly.
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:20 AM   #8
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev View Post
Thanks everyone for the advice. Now all I need to do is get my Kindle.

While I'm waiting for it I'll start converting some files so I'm ready to go when the Kindle arrives.

Regards
Kevin
I ordered my Kindle on a Tuesday and received it the next Monday... They're very quick... When you order something here in Australia it takes 5 days just to process the order...

It's a great unit... So easy to read on even in dim light - my light in the loungeroom is shocking, and I couldn't read my Hanvon, but I can read my Kindle.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:21 AM   #9
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryTX View Post
If you follow any rss feeds, Calibre does a great job of assembling them into an e-book for you. It allows me to read my hometown newspaper while traveling internationally, for example. A great program with a very responsive developer.
Do you pay for the downloads?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Do you pay for the downloads?
Nope, calibre is free, and moving the downloaded feeds to your Kindle is free (well, assuming you use the USB cable to do so). If you absolutely must have them delivered via Whispernet, you can set calibre up to do so, but you'll pay the standard personal document delivery charge. Simpler just to plug it in, in most cases.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post
Nope, calibre is free, and moving the downloaded feeds to your Kindle is free (well, assuming you use the USB cable to do so). If you absolutely must have them delivered via Whispernet, you can set calibre up to do so, but you'll pay the standard personal document delivery charge. Simpler just to plug it in, in most cases.
Thank you! I've only had my kindle a few days, so I have lots to learn.