Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Lenovo yoga tablet 8

Excellent casing, worthy of copying. Great battery life.
So-so display and electronics:
http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/leno...-35831137.html

Quote:

The tablet’s rounded edge (.30 inches), which I am calling the spine, houses the tablet’s battery and other components, allowing it to have a slim design everywhere else. It also changes the Yoga’s center of gravity, and makes it remarkably comfortable to hold. When I held the tablet by the spine, to read a book or Web site, it fit nicely in my hands.

The spine also props up the tablet so you can lie it flat on a surface and view it at a slight angle, making it easier to type on the screen.

There’s also an aluminum kickstand nestled in that spine, which folds away from the device to prop it up.
It echoes the design of the original Rocket Reader and would make a good color reader, especially if it really can do 18 hours battery life, but it needs a better screen.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-08-2013 at 09:45 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Personally I don't like that spine, but choices are a good thing.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
+1.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've used other spine-based designs (rocket reader, Clio tablet) and the ergonomics are superior to flat designs. They feel lighter than they are because the weight is in your direct grip.

Taste rules of course, but there should be room for more functional ergonomic designs than the fashionable thin slabs. I just hope we see more spines.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I've used other spine-based designs (rocket reader, Clio tablet) and the ergonomics are superior to flat designs. They feel lighter than they are because the weight is in your direct grip.

Taste rules of course, but there should be room for more functional ergonomic designs than the fashionable thin slabs. I just hope we see more spines.
Personally I wouldn’t prefer the spine either. But you make a good point about weight distribution and I never had a chance to hold a tablet/reader with spine. I could give it a try if I was looking for an android tablet.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It looks like a good design for standing up on a table for watching video. Probably not so good for holding in your hands.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It looks like a good design for standing up on a table for watching video. Probably not so good for holding in your hands.
Not in landscape, no.
But as an 8in reader device in portrait?

Did you ever play with the Rocket Reader/Ebookwise 1150?
Very comfortable despite the high weight for the screen size.
It is fondly remembered by those who owned them.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
So-so display? Let that be a warning. We had a Lenovo A2107 and the display was horrid. So was the ton of bloatware. I will never get another Lenovo tablet.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Nice however take a look at lenovo's forum and you will find many unhappy with their lack of service. I've had two units have problems and no help whatsoever.

Bought a new windows 7 unit .. they encouraged an upgrade to win 8 .. they even paid for it ...... been waiting for drivers for over a year and still none. My multitouch is not ten finger but two.

They promise to call back but don't.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Knowing me, I'd hurt myself with the stand part. Either because of the aluminum, or just me getting my finger stuck while trying to push it back in place.

I don't like it either. I think it looks better as decoration, like a night stand, something you put like those relaxing melodies/rain apps on, and maybe a movie, than it is a tablet that you use on a daily basis.

But if it was a 10.1 screen with that design, it's make a portable laptop. Just add a Bluetooth keyboard of your choice, and bam, something you can work with.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

They do make a 10incher.
Same resolution, though.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
The Idea is nice.
A little more follow up is needed though.

It so reminds me of he devices that they used on Earth Final Conflict where they rolled out a screen from a similar spine.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Sony S tablet was more or less the same shape (Thick on 1 side thin on the other) and (in my completely unhumble opinion) it was much easier to hold portrait style than a standard rounded corner rectangle (Unfortunately they made the stupid choice that landscape had to be thin end down making it a PITA for streaming video).
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
OUCH!

The Verge both a 4.5/4.7 - Terrible performance and Bad, low-res display "LENOVO GOT THE HINGE RIGHT, AND EVERYTHING ELSE WRONG".

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/12/5...et-8-10-review
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #15
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I held one in the store the other day and it felt great. It really is holding a battery in your hand without having any torque from weight elsewhere. I am pretty tempted as using it for an e-reader would be one of the main options. I read that there is a new one coming out mid Aprilish that will update the screen and processor. I'm waiting and it just might be the tablet I pick up.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote