View Poll Results: Format: How important is knowing the format before purchase
not important, don't care 7 4.07%
good to know, but not necessary 15 8.72%
absolutely important, want to know 150 87.21%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #106
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Somewhat more on topic, FW 2.90 does interesting things to an Aura HD.
The new Aura shipped with 2.8.0

At least mine did, I must add.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #107
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlaine View Post
The new Aura shipped with 2.8.0

At least mine did, I must add.
If you update your new Aura using the Kobo Desktop application, it's easy to capture the download URL for the firmware file or to grab the file itself during the download. Trying to use this firmware file on an Aura HD didn't work all that well. I'm somewhat tempted to try using just the KoboRoot.tgz leaving out the manifest file and the upgrades directory as several beta testers have mentioned that is how Kobo delivers the beta firmware but will save that till I have finished a couple of new books and will have more time to play. As it is, my reading stats claimed 126 books read in 171 hours -- somewhat of a record for me without having done a factory reset. Now I'm back to 4 books and 6 hours.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #108
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The page number display works with any epubs.

On a slightly different note, it appears that the Kobo forum tradition of topic drift is still alive and well.

Regards,
David
Umm, wouldn't talking about the benefits/functions of different formats and DRMs be totally legit regarding the importance of format before purchasing?

Also, today for the first time I saw the new page which lacks the info. But that appeared as store.kobobooks.com, if I typed in the www.kobobooks.com I could get the old page. Does this work for anyone? I have to say, I prefer the old page. Not exactly because it provides the format info (though that is good) but because when doing a search it shows me pertinent info without having to click on a book (the new one shows me a cover thumbnail plus price vs. cover thumbnail+price+publisher+author+genre on the old site). Which makes me hope they don't truly bury or do away with the old site completely (kind of like how yahoo used to let you use the "classic" mail website).
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #109
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I just tried the link (from Aus) and it takes me to the new site, but Firefox is my default browser.

I have to use IE9 to get to the old site.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #110
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Good news on the format front. I got the new design for the first time today, and promptly proceeded to enquire about the format of a book I was interested in. The guy in the help chat assured me that the format would soon be displayed again - in the place where they have the useless "read this on" info now. Keeping fingers crossed...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #111
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well that is encouraging news
Old 10-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #112
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
I cannot believe that Kobo thinks there isn't a substantive difference for readers between Epub, Kepub or PDF and between DRM and non-DRM.

It has occurred to me that Amazon is dominating ebooks not because it is so good at ebook retailing but because all of their competitors are so terribly, terribly bad at it.

(Except for Smashwords...I them.)

Somebody mentioned that Smashwords doesn't list DRM status -- that is because Smashwords doesn't use DRM, everything is DRM free.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #113
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmithBooks View Post
I cannot believe that Kobo thinks there isn't a substantive difference for readers between Epub, Kepub or PDF and between DRM and non-DRM.

It has occurred to me that Amazon is dominating ebooks not because it is so good at ebook retailing but because all of their competitors are so terribly, terribly bad at it.

(Except for Smashwords...I them.)

Somebody mentioned that Smashwords doesn't list DRM status -- that is because Smashwords doesn't use DRM, everything is DRM free.
Oh yep, I can see a ring of truth in this observation