Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #91
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Lousy punctuation, to be sure, but the actual prose doesn't seem too dire. I've read a lot worse.
The grammar isn't bad, but the text doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How can sight be dominant if you can't see? How can you tell the footsteps come from men, and they're moving flawlessly? How can you tell there are five pairs if they're identical? I assume the echoing part is because there is space opening up behind the doors, although I'm not sure it was meant that way. I found the passage to be baffling.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #92
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
The grammar isn't bad, but the text doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How can sight be dominant if you can't see? How can you tell the footsteps come from men, and they're moving flawlessly? How can you tell there are five pairs if they're identical? I assume the echoing part is because there is space opening up behind the doors, although I'm not sure it was meant that way. I found the passage to be baffling.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #93
flourish
Enthusiast
flourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura aboutflourish has a spectacular aura about

Device: kindle NT, Samsung galaxy reverb
In addition to the standard crappy fiction/non-fiction responses up thread, I'd add anything by JRR Tolkien. I will never understand the appeal of his books.
flourish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #94
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourish View Post
In addition to the standard crappy fiction/non-fiction responses up thread, I'd add anything by JRR Tolkien. I will never understand the appeal of his books.
I suspect that an awful lot of people (myself included) would disagree with you about that! Just goes to show that tastes differ.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #95
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I suspect that an awful lot of people (myself included) would disagree with you about that! Just goes to show that tastes differ.
Particularly on his birthday (today).
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #96
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Particularly on his birthday (today).
So it is! Happy 121st birthday, JRR .
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #97
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
No way will I read books by Faulkner, Hemingway, Maugham, etc.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #98
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
No way will I read books by Faulkner, Hemingway, Maugham, etc.
Now you stop that dirty talk, monkey!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #99
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I've never read Faulkner. Hemingway, I can read but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it.(Except for A Moveable Feast.) And Maugham wrote one of my favorite short stories and movies, Rain.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #100
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Now you stop that dirty talk, monkey!
High school tried to ruin my love for reading by trying to force me to read authors I didn't like; but I persevered and refused to do it. Of course, my grades reflected my rebellious nature; but hey, it was a matter of principle.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #101
kennyc

A Rose for Emily is one of Faulkners most well know short stories.
Hemingway - my favorite short is probably The End of Something or a Clean Well Lighted Place, Hills Like White Elephants.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #102
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've never read any Faulkner or Hemingway. I must rectify that.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #103
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
...I should've kept my mouth shut
Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #104
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
The two most deserving American Nobel laureates in literature, IMO.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #105
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The two most deserving American Nobel laureates in literature, IMO.
Take that monkey!

Tags
lance armstrong, pippa middleton