Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #31
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I've just recently bought a refurbished Sony PRS-350 for taking with me to work (need something small and hopefully robust for that), and it'll probably be used for short stories mainly. My Kindle 3 will stay my main reader for use at home. I'll continue to use Calibre for my library management and can easily convert between formats so will probably continue to use Amazon for buying most of my books too.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #32
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Technically, I didn't choose to buy either of my e-readers, since the Kindle 2 was a hand-me-down from someone who got it as a gift and didn't want it and the Sony PRS-T1 I got "free" as part of a credit card application with subsequent qualifying purchase offer.

I mainly read on the Sony now, because it's more portable and lighter and nearly all my paid-for books are in ePub/MultiFormat anyway. Some of the way things work, such as book listings and collections sorting/adding, and highlighting annoy me compared to how the K2 handles them, but not really enough to switch back.

That said, I've become much more picky about formatting and books that tend to require more than very minimal tweaking (I've discovered I really don't like line-spaces between paragraphs and text-indent is a must) also tend not to get read because I've gotten really lazy about opening things up to tweak.

However, my Mobi-only books just aren't getting read at all, because I've discovered I'm even more apathetic now about taking the time to download/strip/convert, especially since I don't care for auto-conversion defaults and would basically have to rebuild the things from scratch which yeah, is not going to happen any time soon.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #33
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I'm glad you mentioned the Libre Color. I just bought one for an excellent price for my daughter. She is going to love it!
I like it a lot. One thing I would recommend, though, is not overloading it with files. It slowed down to a snail's pace when I initially loaded it with a few thousand books on the SD card--the jetBook Lite handled them with ease, but the Libre Color just couldn't. So now I only keep on it the books I've recently read or am planning to read.

It does a good job with video files too, and is acceptable as an mp3 player.

I hope your daughter enjoys it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #34
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Thanks, Catlady. I'll just put 25 or so books on it, I think. That should be enough for a while. I'm not sure if this one still has the 100 classics on it or not, though I have them from when I had a Jetbook.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #35
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
I got my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" to read comics, watch movies, show off some pictures, anything to do with color.

I read books on my Ectaco Jetbook Lite. I've learned to use the internal memory for just a few books at a time so as not to bog down the reader. Also it's easier to find the book again when I change out batteries and the JBL forgets what I was reading and where I was in the book. Kinda irritating but I'm accustomed to remembering my last page now. The JBL is a good size to carry around, like carrying a paperback book.
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #36
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Thanks, Catlady. I'll just put 25 or so books on it, I think. That should be enough for a while. I'm not sure if this one still has the 100 classics on it or not, though I have them from when I had a Jetbook.
I think it's a different set of classics, in txt format. It can certainly handle a few hundred files, just not a few thousand.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #37
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I've got an iPad and a kindle fire. The fire is a bit more portable, so I tend to use it at lunch or something like that. The rest of the time, I use the iPad.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #38
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
I mostly read on my Story HD and PRS-600, the 600 when I'm inside( it has one of the defective screens that fades in sunlight), and the HD when I'm outside. I use my Nook Color when reading in bed at night so I don't bother my wife when she is asleep.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:32 AM   #39
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Currently use both a PRS-650 and PRS-T1, the later being my travel and at-work ereader (for lunchtime reads). I also have an iPad2, which is used specifically for PDF reference material and comics.

My wife has a Kindle 3 and iPad2, the Kindle for normal reading and the Ipad2 for comics and cook books.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #40
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I have one eInk reader for Kindle book and on for ePub books. I read both Kondle books and ePub books on my phone and my iPad. The Kindle is the main reading device since most books I read are Kindle books and I like the non-touch Kindle best.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #41
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I only have an iPad, but I do use two different brands' apps! The Kobo app is the main one that I use at the moment., and I use it because all of my paid e-books are in ePub format & I enjoy getting reading statistics (now those are an awesome feature!) I also use the Kindle app, but I use it because there are so many free books on Amazon. I use the Kobo app more, but the Kindle app has its uses so far.

Last edited by MissKittiness; 07-30-2012 at 06:26 AM. Reason: auto-text does strange things...
MissKittiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #42
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmike80 View Post
Is the ipod touch better or Samsung Galaxy Tab?
Better for what?
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #43
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
My Kobo original I use for the kids books. I can't believe the selection on Amazon for kids books nowadays! I can't read on it anymore, it's so slow I want to throw it across the room after about 2 minutes. The kids don't mind it.

I use the Kindle 3 mainly, if I had the money I would buy an extra one.

I use my blackberry whenever I have only a few minutes to read while waiting in line.

I read one book at a time across both devices.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #44
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmike80 View Post
Is the ipod touch better or Samsung Galaxy Tab?
??? They are far from being the same thing... In terms of portability of course the iPod has the advantage. In terms of size vis à vis ease of reading and video etc because of the larger screen, the Galaxy Tab is of course much better.
Although I like the Apple OS, I now prefer Android because of the many options for obtaining apps and it's customisability.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #45
dkb
ebook enthusiast
dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.dkb writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, Sony PRS-350, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
My first ereader was a Kindle. Then when agency pricing came in, I discovered that my local library had ebooks. At that time, the library wasn't an option for the Kindle, so I got a Sony PRS-350. I really liked it, but then I got a Kindle Touch and the library added a Kindle option so I went back to using my Kindle.

My book club's next selection is The Age of Miracles. For some reason, it's not available at the library for the Kindle so I got out my Sony Reader again. I really like the Sony Reader, but mostly use the Kindle because of the convenience and ease of downloading books whether from the library or buying them.

I have the original B & N Nook Color for children's books, but don't use it anymore. I also have a Kindle Fire which has my cookbook collection, and a bunch of games, books, and apps for my grandson. I also have some magazine subscriptions.

I also read a lot on my iPhone when i'm away from home.
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote