Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
WAF and select menu

Good afternoon!!!!

I'm fighting with the development of a WAF.

I get the "Unable to start application error" everytime I use one of two select menus (http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_select.asp).

This is the problem:

- I hit one of the select's option
- it runs a javascript
- I get the error

Here's the strange: if I place an alert box right at the end of all the operations, everything works fine! So it works like:

- I hit one of the select option
- it runs a javascript
- i get the alert box
- by hitting OK, it continue working fine

Any clue? It seems like it's a Kindle problem, not a WAF problem....
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch
Try inspecting Kindle logs first... most useful is run "showlog -f" and then try to do problematic actions. That way you'll see only fresh portion of the log.
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here are two logs, first with crash, second with the alert box and, then, no crash!
I can see the select's option being choosed, than a remove_dead_app command...
Really can't understand why it doesn't work here and why it works if I place an alert box!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp crash.bmp (60.3 KB, 284 views)
File Type: bmp works.bmp (959.0 KB, 275 views)
Old 03-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
silver18
THE NOOB

I changed everything but the problem is still there!
Now the app is really lighter than before, but it crashes anyway!

It seems to be a problem related to how the Kindle manages the select menu (in fact it's a menu, not a dropdown!!).
Old 05-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
silver18
THE NOOB

Here's how I solved the problem...Not elegant at all, but it works..
(actually a part of my ImageGallery WAF)

Code:
<form>
<select id="jumpToBook" name="selectedBookmark" onchange="jumpToBookmark(this.form.selectedBookmark);" style="position: fixed; left:20px; top:113px; z-index: 2;">
<option style="display:none;" value="" disabled="disabled">No bookmarks available!</option>
</select>
</form>
and here's the relevant part of the jumpToBookmark function:
Code:
var selpage;
var wheretobook;

function jumpToBookmark (wheretobook) {
selpage = wheretobook.options[wheretobook.selectedIndex].value;
}

I found that 5.1.0 firmware has lots of problems with select menus' style: so avoid fixed width and be careful with z-index (selects like to stay on top!).
Advert