Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #46
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
So what you are saying basically is: it is not possible to release workable software on time.
This is logical and factual nonsense.
A couple of months back you knew exactly what to expect from Ectaco firmware-wise - and you were one over-enthusiastic customer ...
Who says I was?
I never said I had any official data, I was merely saying we could expect a delay, expecting it to be released by the end of april rather than at the beginning.
I saw that the goal ectaco put to itself into releasing the fw by the beginning of april was not achievable.

then again,
there's always april 1 2013, if you want it to be released on april 1...

It seems you have very little experience in engineering. If you would have, you would know that a deadline usually means that under normal circumstances, without delays or issues, the soonest you can get a product ready is by the deadline. In this case however, the previous fw (march) was delayed already, on top of that it had many unexpected minor bugs, and a few major bugs to be corrected, meaning extra work, but from a view of firmware,still was a very solid firmware.
I've seen a lot worse than this,especially from chinese products.

From the communications I received from Greg, I've heard that the fw is going through a lot more than just adding a browser and language pack. They're also rebuilding and optimizing it. The end result will be way more than what you paid for!
If you ask me, it will be well worth the wait; but in any case, complaining is not going to make you get the firmware sooner. There are a lot of enthusiasts who have this device who agree with me,to rather wait for a good one, than have a broken one now.
And such is also the company's policy. Unfortunately for most of you, complainers (who often don't even have the device), Ectaco did not play by your rules. Best is to just lie down and play by their rules, or buy another device if you think there's anything on the market that can compete with the JBC at this time!

Another thing, they are not doing FW issues only,also educational software updates. Their main responsibility is the schools,not the end user as a customer.

I don't think I'm an over-enthusiastic customer, merely a rational one, that doesn't give in to emotions to lead my conclusions about a product.

Last edited by ProDigit; 05-02-2012 at 07:03 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #47
newphyte
newphyte began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Color
There's an update on jetbook.net, but I have problems by doing the OS-update. It shows the install progress for a few seconds and then aborts. I checked the revision, it IS 43.35.509. I tried both OS-update (also the 38.something), but both didn't work.
newphyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #48
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Indeed, it says april 30, however it wasn't there on may 1.

Supposedly the new firmware is there!

If you want to download it, you will need a download manager with resume capacibilities, like DAP for windows, or DownloadThemAll! for firefox.
Most likely the server is overloaded, and cuts out regularly.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #49
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I'm going to wait a bit for a few days, until the first rush passes; besides my ISP makes a habit of throttling bandwidth. With an unstable ISP and server it's better to wait until at least one is more stable.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #50
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfmu View Post
U just said nothing~
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #51
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: ONYX M96
the update process doesn't start for me, the update bar appears for a moment but then the main menu is simply loaded. Has anyone had a similar issue?
por is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #52
DeReader
Connoisseur
DeReader doesn't litterDeReader doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iRex DR1000S, Kindle DXG, Jetbook Color
I have exactly the same problem, the update bar comes up for a few seconds and then I get the standard UI without any update. I'm on platform revision 43.37.509, r1128 Spanish. I also tried different SD cards, always with the same result.
DeReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #53
ProDigit
Karmaniac

could possibly be a corrupt download.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #54
DeReader
Connoisseur

No, the CRC of the first ZIP file for the OS "1-OS_update.zip" is ok and it can be unpacked.

But the second file (Firmware update "r1302Spanish1257.zip") is really corrupt, I downloaded the file twice and always get the same two CRC errors by unpacking with 7Zip.

I already contacted Ectaco about the issues.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #55
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeReader View Post
No, the CRC of the first ZIP file for the OS "1-OS_update.zip" is ok and it can be unpacked.

But the second file (Firmware update "r1302Spanish1257.zip") is really corrupt, I downloaded the file twice and always get the same two CRC errors by unpacking with 7Zip.

I already contacted Ectaco about the issues.
How is it possible then that it works for some people?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #56
DeReader
Connoisseur

I think it depends on the current version of the OS, there's also a posting from Jerry in the Ectaco forum that the file for OS 43 and above is incorrect.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #57
ProDigit
Karmaniac

This is also one of the reasons I prefer to wait until the beginning craze is over.
What's worse than downloading an unfinished firmware,is downloading a broken boot loader!
Let them fix it, give them a couple of days/weeks, and it'll be ok to install.
People eager to be the first to install new updates, are also the first to experience firmware problems or bricks.

Those are usually also the ones complaining for not finishing the fw in time, and despite warnings just plunge heads into the novelty, without careful consideration of the consequences.

Though at some time there's got to be a dare devil to test out the waters.

Last edited by ProDigit; 05-02-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #58
davidfmu
davidfmu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Someone is one of this company, Why it always knew that have issue first. Please don't fix that ever, the company have to up not to down.
davidfmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:59 AM   #59
davidfmu
davidfmu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Not Found

The requested URL /upgrade/JBC-49/1-OS_update.zip was not found on this server.

Not Found

The requested URL /upgrade/JBC-49/r1302Spanish1257.zip was not found on this server.

Real COOL~

What kind Company always do this with joke ~

Last edited by davidfmu; 05-03-2012 at 04:02 AM.
davidfmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:00 AM   #60
por
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfmu View Post
Not Found

The requested URL /upgrade/JBC-49/1-OS_update.zip was not found on this server.

Not Found

The requested URL /upgrade/JBC-49/r1302Spanish1257.zip was not found on this server.

Real COOL~

What kind Company always do this with joke ~
They had so much time to prepare the update... really disappointing

Someone mentioned here that Schools are being served first. Actually, this makes no sense at all to me, since private customers have taken most of the risks and paid the highest prices. Catering those who pay you the least at the expense of your real fans could have no economic justification...