Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 12-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #706
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post
I admit not having heard of a Raspberry Pi before so went looking for info. Sitting here reading the FAQ's I see a mention that its overall performance is comparable to a Pentium 2@300Mhz ???

No wonder than if COPS runs slower than on a 'real' computer.
Yes, it's a slow little critter, but I compared it not to a "real" (i7, 16Gb Ram and SSD) computer but to a Synology DS110j that also has an ARM processor and little RAM.

The Synology feels faster, snappier. Even my also underpowered Tonidoplug2 (ARM processor) feels faster so far. Let's see what some tweaking and updates can do.

(I like to make COPS work on all my little devices, just for fun)
mariosipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #707
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo eReader Touch, Kobo Aura HD
To continue with the off topic

Your Tonidoplug2 and my Dockstar are 2 times faster than a Raspberry Pi. I made a blog post about that one year ago and was amazed by that.

I still have a COPS instance running on my Dockstar at home and it works fine enough.

EDIT :

@At_Libitum Having a dockstar up 24/7 cost me almost nothing (3W) and it serve a lot of purpose (mail server, download station, DLNA, HTTP server, ...)

Last edited by vlad59; 12-05-2013 at 11:57 AM.
vlad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #708
pven
pven began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
First of all: keep up the good work! :-)

In the past I was able to download epubs bij using the browser on my Kobo Glo and COPS. But since a while (newest firmware maybe?) this does not work anymore. When I go to the local COPS-site and click an epub to download, it looks like I get a notification at top of the screen that disappears within a second, and nothing is downloaded. When I download it the same way using my laptop, the epub will be downloaded.

What am I doing wrong? I do not have that much options.
pven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #709
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
To end the "discussion" about the Raspberry Pi and COPS:

- first I "dynamically overclocked" the Raspberry Pi from 700 to 900 Mhz
- second I installed APC

The overall effect is that the Raspberry Pi with COPS now feels "snappier".

@vlad59:
I found the topic (outside mobileread) you mentioned and ran some of the "benchmarks".
The Tonidoplug2 (armv5 @800 Mhz) was marginally faster than the Raspberry Pi (armv6 @900 Mhz). Comparing the 2 in real life with COPS mostly confirms this. However the network throughput of the Tonidoplug2 is much (3x) faster, which in turn makes it possible to serve the covers faster, so it overall feels faster as well. The same is true for my Synology.

If I would link the Raspberry Pi to the internet as a home-webserver for COPS (and other stuff) it would be fast enough as my uplink speed (max 15 megabits/sec) will be the bottleneck rather than the Raspberry Pi.

Now back on topic before I get a
mariosipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #710
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by pven View Post
First of all: keep up the good work! :-)

In the past I was able to download epubs bij using the browser on my Kobo Glo and COPS. But since a while (newest firmware maybe?) this does not work anymore. When I go to the local COPS-site and click an epub to download, it looks like I get a notification at top of the screen that disappears within a second, and nothing is downloaded. When I download it the same way using my laptop, the epub will be downloaded.

What am I doing wrong? I do not have that much options.
I just tested on my Kobo Touch and Kobo Aura HD and download works fine. Are you sure to have enabled URL rewriting ?
Advert
Old 12-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #711
pven

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad59 View Post
I just tested on my Kobo Touch and Kobo Aura HD and download works fine. Are you sure to have enabled URL rewriting ?
Thanks for the answer!

Yes: URL rewriting is turned on. On my laptop and phone it works the way it should, only my Glo fails.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #712
vlad59
Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the answer!

Yes: URL rewriting is turned on. On my laptop and phone it works the way it should, only my Glo fails.
I don't have a Glo to test but I'm mostly sure that it should work. Did you make any change to your Cops installation (beside upgrading your Glo) ? Did you try a book that worked previously ? Could you send me your config_local.php by mail please (and verify that you did not modify config_default.php) ?

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #713
pven

Quote:
I don't have a Glo to test but I'm mostly sure that it should work. Did you make any change to your Cops installation (beside upgrading your Glo) ? Did you try a book that worked previously ? Could you send me your config_local.php by mail please (and verify that you did not modify config_default.php) ?

Thanks.
I thought that URL Rewrite was an option in Apache. Before mailing I checked the config_local.php to find out it is (also) an option in there. After I changed it to 1 it works!

Thanks for the answer!

Btw: I have a Synology with a COPS-package, it looks like the default URL Rewrite option for this package is wrong?
Old 12-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #714
vlad59
Addict

Quote:
I thought that URL Rewrite was an option in Apache. Before mailing I checked the config_local.php to find out it is (also) an option in there. After I changed it to 1 it works!

Thanks for the answer!

Btw: I have a Synology with a COPS-package, it looks like the default URL Rewrite option for this package is wrong?
I'm happy that it works .

I prefer not to enable URL rewriting by default as old DSM version (1,5 year old IIRC) use an old Apache version which does not handle URL rewriting.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #715
scoopaz
Nosy Parker
scoopaz began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader Pro, Nook Classic, Touch, Color, PRS-650, Asus Transformer
COPS and windows server

Good afternoon,

I've just decided to make the jump to COPS after using the Calibre content server for about a year. My setup is : Abyss Web server 1x running PHP 5.6. I had PHP up and running, installed COPS but all I get is a blank screen where the catalog should be . A check of the source from the COPS index.php shows this error

Notice Undefined index: QUERY_STRING in C:\Abyss Web Server\htdocs\index.php on line 67 getJSON.php?complete=1";

I haven't set up a PHP server in a long time and my memory of configuration errors is fuzzy at best.

Lisa
scoopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #716
vlad59
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopaz View Post
Good afternoon,

I've just decided to make the jump to COPS after using the Calibre content server for about a year. My setup is : Abyss Web server 1x running PHP 5.6. I had PHP up and running, installed COPS but all I get is a blank screen where the catalog should be . A check of the source from the COPS index.php shows this error

Notice Undefined index: QUERY_STRING in C:\Abyss Web Server\htdocs\index.php on line 67 getJSON.php?complete=1";

I haven't set up a PHP server in a long time and my memory of configuration errors is fuzzy at best.

Lisa
Hi,

First COPS has never been tested with PHP 5.6 (only 5.3, 5.4, 5.5). It may work but who knows .

Next, I had the same error with PHP embedded web server so I fixed it in Github. Could you try to download the current git version (button Download Zip on the right of this page).

Please report here even if it's working fine.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #717
scoopaz
Nosy Parker

Quote:
Hi,

First COPS has never been tested with PHP 5.6 (only 5.3, 5.4, 5.5). It may work but who knows .

Next, I had the same error with PHP embedded web server so I fixed it in Github. Could you try to download the current git version (button Download Zip on the right of this page).

Please report here even if it's working fine.
Thanks Vlad! I'll try your git version first tonight, then If I am still having issues I'll revert to an earlier version of PHP.

Lisa
Old 12-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #718
scoopaz
Nosy Parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopaz View Post
Thanks Vlad! I'll try your git version first tonight, then If I am still having issues I'll revert to an earlier version of PHP.

Lisa
Well the error went away with the updated git version, and without uninstalling PHP 5.6 but now my server cannot find the metadata.db
File ./metadata.db not found, Please check
Value of $config['calibre_directory'] in config_local.php Value of
open_basedir
in your php.ini The access rights of the Calibre Database

open_basedir is commented out in php.ini

the webserver root dir is c:\abyss web server\htdocs

my metadata.db is in c:\abyss web server\htdocs\catalogs\book bonanza

$config['calibre_directory'] = './catalogs/book bonanza/';

Any suggestions from Windows webserver users out there?

Two steps forward...

Lisa
Old 12-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #719
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
crap..nvrmind...late here :P

you have your Calibre library located in the web folder structure? Well, as long as Calibre knows where it is, but it isn't needed for cops to work or to download books if that was your reason for putting it there.

I know it isn't the space in the path so I can only assume it must be that it is because it is not the full path

have you tried it with 'c:/abyss web server/htdocs/catalogs/book bonanza/' ?

PS. I think you meant 5.5.6? 5.5.7 was only released yesterday, and as far as I know there's no windows binaries for 5.5.7 yet. but that's a minor detail, I'm sure it's not the php version acting up..

Last edited by At_Libitum; 12-12-2013 at 11:22 PM.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #720
scoopaz
Nosy Parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post
crap..nvrmind...late here :P

you have your Calibre library located in the web folder structure? Well, as long as Calibre knows where it is, but it isn't needed for cops to work or to download books if that was your reason for putting it there.

I know it isn't the space in the path so I can only assume it must be that it is because it is not the full path

have you tried it with 'c:/abyss web server/htdocs/catalogs/book bonanza/' ?

PS. I think you meant 5.5.6? 5.5.7 was only released yesterday, and as far as I know there's no windows binaries for 5.5.7 yet. but that's a minor detail, I'm sure it's not the php version acting up..
I put the library in the root folder of the webserver for convenience sake, no other particular reason.

Thanks, yes it is 5.5.6 I installed. I have tried various permutations of the path including the one you suggested with no success. maybe I need to look into the configuration of the web server to see if I need to change something there.

Lisa

Tags
calibre opds, dns, kobo aura, synology