Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #151
Sergei_
Sergei_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike76 View Post
Thanks a lot! I've succesfully installed CoolReader on my K4NT. It works fine, but a little bit unstable yet, sometimes it shows an error message and restarts the Kindle. I hope it will be fixed in next versions.
The CoolReader must be started in background.
Edit goqt.sh. It is located in cr3 directory.
Change ./"$1" -qws to ./"$1" -qws &
Works well with cr3runner v1.8.

Or remove p.waitFor(); in CR3RunnerKindlet.java and recompile the kindlet.

Last edited by Sergei_; 03-15-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Sergei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #152
aleq
Enthusiast
aleq began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT (4.0.1), KT (5.3.7.3), KPW1 (sold), KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronar View Post
Nobody could help me here; so I have helped myself. Here is a preliminary solution:

The Atheros Wifi chip is driven...
Nice find, thanks! I'm trying to get WPA-EAP running so this could help me test and debug in Diag.
aleq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #153
a-fung
a-fung began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Does anyone know how to hack/tweak the browser in Kindle 4 NT?
I found the address bar is occupying too much space on the screen.
I just want to find a way to hide the address bar.

Thanks
a-fung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #154
nurusz
Enthusiast
nurusz will become famous soon enoughnurusz will become famous soon enoughnurusz will become famous soon enoughnurusz will become famous soon enoughnurusz will become famous soon enoughnurusz will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Help Please

I'm in the first page of the TEQUILA diagnostic test which look like this:
TEQUILA - Run in Test
------- 1.0.6.194 -----
A) Movi Nand ENABLED
B) GAS Gause Test ENABLED
Q) to continue - FW LEFT ENABLED
-------------------------------------
X) Exit - FW RIGHT to EXIT

and I can't exit an return to my books
when i choose the last option it send me to another options !
What I have to do to reactivate my Kindle 4 NT again ?
EDIT:

OK, I have found an option that stop the diagnostic test
When I clicked it the Kindle restart again and every thing returned to normal state

Last edited by nurusz; 03-24-2012 at 02:58 PM.
nurusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #155
aBP
aBP began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
Would it be possible for Kubbur to edit the first post and update it with new K4NT hacks? It seems the K3 gets a sticky and KTouch gets a wiki page but there is no love for K4NT
aBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 01:14 AM   #156
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBP View Post
Would it be possible for Kubbur to edit the first post and update it with new K4NT hacks? It seems the K3 gets a sticky and KTouch gets a wiki page but there is no love for K4NT
K4 has a wiki too. It is a bit stale though: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle4NTHacking

I agree that the first post in a thread is special and should function as an index or table of contents, and perhaps a gathering point for relevant downloads as well. At least it should be kept updated, being the main entry point to the thread.

For now, if you use a search engine on mobileread, do not use the upper-right search box. Instead use the one in the top blue menu bar. I often use the "Show Posts" option. That is the best way to find content around here...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:17 AM   #157
aBP
aBP began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
ah, thank you
Yes, it is fairly stale but hopefully more will come soon. Thanks for the advice, I'll be using the search to find some toys for my kindle
aBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #158
rsingh18
rsingh18 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4(?)
USB Networking Mode By default?? | Disable USB Drive Mode

Hi,
First off, great thread! I was getting sick of seeing all the hacks and jail breaks that DID NOT work on the K4 , and were instead for the touch...

I've been trying to figure out a way to force disable the Kindle from showing up a USB Drive by default everytime someone connects it to the USB port.
This keeps my files inside safe, as I can always use scp over wifi or usbnet ssh.

Am looking for a script (?) or some other hack that lets me do this..

Any ideas anyone??

Thanks
rsingh18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #159
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsingh18 View Post
Hi,
First off, great thread! I was getting sick of seeing all the hacks and jail breaks that DID NOT work on the K4 , and were instead for the touch...

I've been trying to figure out a way to force disable the Kindle from showing up a USB Drive by default everytime someone connects it to the USB port.
This keeps my files inside safe, as I can always use scp over wifi or usbnet ssh.

Any ideas anyone??

Thanks
There is script which should control this stuff.
See:
Code:
/lib/udev/bin/notifyusb
Unfortunately I'm not currently able to post here content of that file, but you will see there some signal sending commands and if you comment it by #, save it and restart Kindle, you should not be able to access user folders over USB by normal way. The question is, if you will be able to access device over USB at all... so try to check that file and maybe other files in same folder and if you have ssh over wifi access, you shold be able to access the Kindle even if USB ssh access will be broken.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #160
rsingh18
rsingh18 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4(?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
There is script which should control this stuff.
See:
Code:
/lib/udev/bin/notifyusb
Unfortunately I'm not currently able to post here content of that file, but you will see there some signal sending commands and if you comment it by #, save it and restart Kindle, you should not be able to access user folders over USB by normal way. The question is, if you will be able to access device over USB at all... so try to check that file and maybe other files in same folder and if you have ssh over wifi access, you shold be able to access the Kindle even if USB ssh access will be broken.

Thanks for the clue. While this works on a stand alone device, IF I were to restart the device while connected to the computer via USB, the startup sequence loads the USB Disk, and, then if you were to consequently unplug, the Kindle has no way of handling that. (since we;ve commented that bit out). So I'm guessing that the file is referenced only on CHANGE of USB status.

This could be a fairly workable solution, if we could also figure out how to disable the startup mount.

Thanks
rsingh18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #161
XxnewflarexX
XxnewflarexX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
My own instructions ^^

I managed to compile a pile of instructions for the hacking to the kindle, I posted the link to everything on the wiki itself at the bottom of the page Go check it out! https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle4NTHacking
XxnewflarexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #162
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Thanks for the clue. While this works on a stand alone device, IF I were to restart the device while connected to the computer via USB, the startup sequence loads the USB Disk, and, then if you were to consequently unplug, the Kindle has no way of handling that. (since we;ve commented that bit out). So I'm guessing that the file is referenced only on CHANGE of USB status.

This could be a fairly workable solution, if we could also figure out how to disable the startup mount.

Thanks
Did you try removing the mount point directories (/mnt/us and /mnt/base-us)? But the failed mount could make it reformat your USB drive on reboot, and may even brick it for that matter... Unintended consequences are rarely planned for.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #163
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Hi,

Any ideas anyone??

Thanks
Have you read the udev rules on your device?
They may be what is handling this "feature".

Just be aware that to change them would be changing the main filesystem - which could cause later firmware updates to fail (or worse).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #164
waterlubber
hobbyist
waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (Non-Touch)
How do you jailbreak one with special offers?
(PLEASE NO VIDEOS!!!) [my computer doesn't play em.]
waterlubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #165
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The same way you jailbreak one without special offers.
On the Kindles, a "jailbreak" means just adding additional public keys to test the package signature against. Has nothing to do with "special offers".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 4th gen hack