Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #91
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Interesting, I have a cable modem and it only provides one connection and no gateway. The telephone company may offer something completely different but they do not cover my area of the world. Never heard of Bright House Networks.

Dale
Bright House used to be Time Warner Cable. I'm not sure how it works and I think they are still part of or tied to Time Warner. I think Cox in other locations in Florida also include a router.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #92
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I like the Lenovo except for one thing. It is running Gingerbread which is mainly built for phones. Now yes like any Android OS you can add on to it, build a UI like Amazon is doing on the Kindle Fire, but that precludes a tablet being able to utilize further Android development. It should have had at least Honeycomb which is for 7" tablets. Heck IceCreamSandwich is being demonstrated right now.

I am looking more strongly at the new Galaxy 5.0 ($269 at Amazon) now. It also has GPS. There is also a Galaxy 4.0 ($229 at Amazon)

By the way, I posted some further tips on the thread where we briefly discussed your workout.
This makes no scene. You don't like the A1 because it has 2.3, but you like the Galaxy 5 which also runs 2.3--and is $70 more expensive and has a lower screen quality.

BTW if you need to have a 7" tablet with HC/Ice Scream pony up because they tend to have more capable hardware.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #93
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Interesting, I have a cable modem and it only provides one connection and no gateway. The telephone company may offer something completely different but they do not cover my area of the world. Never heard of Bright House Networks.

Dale
For about $50 you can get a LinkSys or another brand router with wireless and plug into that single cable output port and your whole house is "live" with WiFi. If you want to have reception down at your pool or pond or in you garden, a couple hundred feet away, you can get one that will do that for a bit more money.

If you are unsure, just call up the router company and tell them what you have Then order it from Amazon of course.

The phone company with DSL or U-Verse or whatever they call it where you live provides at least a modem with 1 or more ethernet outputs or a modem/router combo with wireless and multiple ethernet ports.

One thing. We are assuming that your computer is either already wireless capable or you have a wireless adapter if it is a old system. The adapter will cost say $30. If you buy a wireless router to go in your cable box and you need an adapter as well, it is best to be sure both are the same brand.
Most new (in the last few years) computers, tablets, Ipod-touches, Ipad(only wifi), Archos (wifi), Samsung (wifi) and the like have wireless built in.
However the older machines might not. Then you need an adapter.

Usually if you have a desktop, it will take a ethernet cable connection because it will not be moved about. Everything else can be wireless.
Be sure you password protect your system.

Last edited by frahse; 10-10-2011 at 12:50 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #94
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I think you're misunderstanding. If you already have a smart-phone with a data plan you can buy wifi hotspot to share your phone's internet connection with other wifi devices. The first one I found with google was $50.
Sadly, many major players are really hamstringing a phone's Hotspot feature.
Some providers limit how much or how fast data can be used with a hot spot feature, or block the feature entirely, or charge an arm and a leg for it.
I like Verizon for their network's ability to let me make clear phone calls, but if I had to rely on them for streaming video to a tablet, I'd quickly go broke.
Still, though, the option does indeed extend any WiFi device's utility. Verizon's iPad offering depends on using one of it's hotspot devices if you want a "3g" ipad from them, for example.

And, yeah, what DOES "DiapDealer" mean?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #95
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
This makes no scene. You don't like the A1 because it has 2.3, but you like the Galaxy 5 which also runs 2.3--and is $70 more expensive and has a lower screen quality.

BTW if you need to have a 7" tablet with HC/Ice Scream pony up because they tend to have more capable hardware.

=X=
=X= you are not realizing that I have studied this fairly carefully though more work will be done before I purchase.

The 2.3 was designed for the phone sized devices which the Galaxy 4.0 and 5.0 are. I equivocated by saying that these OS's can be added to and an UI can be added to compensate, and I just saw an enterprise 7" that was doing just that. I would prefer the build on to be done on Honeycomb for a 7" tablet though. I just used the IcecreamSandwich demo reference to show how the OSs were moving on fairly rapidly.

The Galaxy is $69 more but has 8GB internal memory whereas the Lenovo has only 2GB.

Unfortunately, like the Kindle Fire, the Galaxy memory is not totally available. Maybe only 6GB.

The Galaxy does have the Android Market.

You are correct about the screen, but remember it is a 5 inch screen not a 7 inch and the pixel density won't really be noticeable.

But granted it is not a slam dunk for either. I think the more important thing will be what kind of configuration comes to Amazon and what price.
Lenovo is already dealing with it's K1 tablet reducing it $120 for two days at Best Buy to $330.
I hope that the Lenovo will come to Amazon with 16GB memory for $199 as was rumored at one time.

Then we will make a final determination considering one to be a nice 5" tablet and the other to be a nice 7" tablet, both on the economical side without the big flaws of the Kindle Fire.
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #96
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
You are correct about the screen, but remember it is a 5 inch screen not a 7 inch and the pixel density won't really be noticeable.
I was not referring to size, that is completely a personal preference and an "as needed" feature.

I was referring to screen quality IPS vs WVGA. Samsung is not using the AMLOED screens like they did for the Galaxy S series.

Quote:
=X= you are not realizing that I have studied this fairly carefully though more work will be done before I purchase.
Okay you've been studing, but I've been using 2.2/2.3 on a 7" screen for nearly a year. There are no issues with it being a phone OS.

Earlier in the year I find some apps that did not work well with a 7" screen, but I have not come across any for several months now.

I won't argue 3.0, and 4.0 is better than 2.3 but it's really due to the OS optimization. The vast majority of the apps scale up to 7" quite nicely. Also typing on a 7" screen is much much easier than typing on a 5" screen.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #97
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I was not referring to size, that is completely a personal preference and an "as needed" feature.

I was referring to screen quality IPS vs WVGA. Samsung is not using the AMLOED screens like they did for the Galaxy S series.

Okay you've been studing, but I've been using 2.2/2.3 on a 7" screen for nearly a year. There are no issues with it being a phone OS.

Earlier in the year I find some apps that did not work well with a 7" screen, but I have not come across any for several months now.

I won't argue 3.0, and 4.0 is better than 2.3 but it's really due to the OS optimization. The vast majority of the apps scale up to 7" quite nicely. Also typing on a 7" screen is much much easier than typing on a 5" screen.

=X=
I accept all that and have even mentioned that I had seen a 7" tablet that was destined for enterprise built on Gingerbread, but I think that it is preferable to have as little "build on" to earlier android versions as possible. It is better to start on a later standard model.

I think if you wanted to you could come up with some advantages of the 5" screen.

It is all the above that I want to balance when the moment of truth comes, and all the specs are side by side, the reviews are in, and the prices are on Amazon. For example how much memory will be included on the Amazon model?
Old 10-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #98
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i looked at it, but the lackluster specs sort of turned me off. a good price, though. maybe in person it will grab me - or maybe i'll just get the fire, turn of the "special" browsing, and move things on and off my computer for storage. or i may spend more and get something that allows full use of the android market and has an sd slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
For you. The Lenovo 7 inch seems to be attracting much attention from those who no longer have interest in the Kindle Fire.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:45 AM   #99
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
A moped is not the best choice for traveling cross-country
A Porsche is not for everyone.
Choose the right tool for the job
and don't worry about those
who choose the tools you do not.
Or to paraphrase in monkeyspeak:

Though a dog will turn his nose on it, a banana is a monkey's best friend
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #100
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
i looked at it, but the lackluster specs sort of turned me off. a good price, though. maybe in person it will grab me - or maybe i'll just get the fire, turn of the "special" browsing, and move things on and off my computer for storage. or i may spend more and get something that allows full use of the android market and has an sd slot.
I ordered the Fire the other day. For what I want it for I think it will be OK.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #101
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
I accept all that and have even mentioned that I had seen a 7" tablet that was destined for enterprise built on Gingerbread, but I think that it is preferable to have as little "build on" to earlier android versions as possible. It is better to start on a later standard model.

I think if you wanted to you could come up with some advantages of the 5" screen.

It is all the above that I want to balance when the moment of truth comes, and all the specs are side by side, the reviews are in, and the prices are on Amazon. For example how much memory will be included on the Amazon model?
Here is the Enterprise Tablet on Gingerbread.
Still not a convincer!

Motorola ET1, that targets enterprise customers and it’s shown below. This model runs Android 2.3 Gingerbread with enterprise customization,.

http://tablet-news.com/2011/10/10/mo...ise-customers/
Old 10-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #102
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Or to paraphrase in monkeyspeak:

Though a dog will turn his nose on it, a banana is a monkey's best friend
Yes, I quite agree with that. To give you just an idea what my banana is, the presentation of Kindle Fire (which had been on my "possibly want to buy", but not "must have" list) made me buy a Sony Vaio P almost instantly. Reasons?

* I can have Kindle reading app on that (it's a regular Windows PC), together with Mobipocket, Adobe Reader and whatever I want
* It has practically unlimited storage - 60 GB hard disk + two slots (SD and MS)
* It has WiFi and a 3G modem built in
* It is light enough (about 600 g)
* It has a physical keyboard.
* It has a VGA-out port if I need a bigger screen

I really hate typing anything on screen keyboards and I need access to a lot of data, so "no keyboard" plus "no expansion ports" is certainly a deal breaker for me. I understand very well that it might not be so for most other people. For me, even if I bought Kindle Fire, I would still need to carry another device with me on most occassions in order to take notes, share files etc.

Incidentally - I haven't mentioned in the previous post a situation that is also very common in my case: I am in a workgroup or on a conference etc. and need to read a file which is on somebody else's computer, camera, USB memory stick or SD card. The Amazon cloud, however big and efficcient would be of no use in such a situation. With another computer it is at least possible to make a peer-to-peer WiFi network (however, this doesn't always work for some reason - especially with devices with different OS's). But if there's just an USB stick or SD card and all you have is a tablet without expansion ports - no joy!

I will still keep my Kindle keyboard 3G for regular reading, as the e-ink screen clarity and long battery life are incomparable with any current LCD/AMOLED device.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #103
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
not a huge fan of the 'cloud'....i don't like putting my stuff on some server where it can potentially be accessed by whoever has a court order or injunction (riaa). And it's the principle of the thing, most of my stuff has been purchased from amazon or itunes anyways. Just waiting for someone to come along and start bringing all this cloud stuff down to earth.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #104
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
not a huge fan of the 'cloud'....i don't like putting my stuff on some server where it can potentially be accessed by whoever has a court order or injunction (riaa). And it's the principle of the thing, most of my stuff has been purchased from amazon or itunes anyways. Just waiting for someone to come along and start bringing all this cloud stuff down to earth.
So you don't use a bank, or have an insurance company, or use email, or post on forums right?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:40 AM   #105
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
If only my life were interesting enough to not want my 'stuff' being accessed by court order or injunction!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote