Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
deleting all my marks & highlights & notes

Hi,

I'm writing with a new bit of quandary I've managed to box myself into. I've exceeded the "limit" for notes & highlights in a amazon-bought ebook. The problem is that I only noticed this 1000 locations later

allow me to do it again:

Now, I've recovered the "My Clippings" file, backed up what the Kindle saved so far and I'm steeling myself up for going back and re-highlighting what didn't register in the first time. The problem is that I evidently have to delete all my previous notes on the book.

Since i don't want to delete the entire "My Clippings" file and taking it note by note would turn me into Sisyphus, I've decided to delete the accompanying .MBP file. Would it take care of my problem? Is there another way of going about this?

Thanks!
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Deleting the associated .mbp file to remove highlights and notes for a book seems to have worked on the K2 for some people, from what I have read, so perhaps it will work on the K3 as well, but as I don't use the highlight feature, I obviously have no experience with adding or deleting highlights or notes. Try it out - copy the file to your computer first, just in case, then delete it from the Kindle and see if the result is what you are looking for.

Here is some info on clipping limits that may help you:

http://www.kinworm.com/2010/09/highl...on-kindle.html

http://realtech.burningbird.net/web/...lipping-limits (this is for the K2)

The second link appears to indicate that there may be no easy way to accomplish what you want - hopefully someone here who has run into the same clipping/highlight limit problem can help you.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
As far as I understand (and I have no personal experience - just snippets I remember reading online) once the limit is reached, I'm not sure there is anything you can really do to overcome that. Other people have reported that going back and deleting highlights does not free up room for new highlights and that somehow the Kindle remembers that the clipping limit has been reached and nothing else from the book will be added into your My Clippings file.

If I ran into this problem myself and wanted a way of adding new notes/highlights which could be extracted for say copying or printing on a PC, I would at least try sharing the notes using the social networking feature but whether the Kindle is smart enough to turn this off as well once the clipping limit is reached I don't know:

http://www.kinworm.com/2010/12/easy-...-all-your.html

Have you resolved it yourself? What happened when deleting the .MBP file? Be good to know for anyone else with the same problem.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well, i tried.... and failed.
and i'm bummed out.

kindleworm, you were right.
initially i tried removing all the notes marks & highlights i had made on the book, from the "my clippings" file while still on the kindle. no go.

then i deleted the .MBP file, i still couldn't fool the Kindle.

as a last solution i deleted the book from the Kindle, re-downloaded a copy from my account and basically crossed my fingers. didn't work either!
next time, i'll try crossing my toes.

anyhoo, i still haven't tried to "fiddle" with the ebook but if i ever will, i'll share my adventures.

thanks to both of you!
Old 01-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Proper deletion of highlights and notes

Go to this Amazon site to delete, edit or view all your notes and highlights:

https://kindle.amazon.com/your_reading

If you do it at that site, your records at Amazon AND on the Kindle WiFi will be adjusted. In addition at that site you can do mass deletions at one time or selective deletions.

Editing the Clipping file on the Kindle WiFi does NOT change your records with Amazon or in the eBooks.

Last edited by sirmaru; 01-26-2011 at 06:09 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Go to this Amazon site to delete, edit or view all your notes and highlights:

https://kindle.amazon.com/your_reading

If you do it at that site, your records at Amazon AND on the Kindle WiFi will be adjusted. In addition at that site you can do mass deletions at one time or selective deletions.

Editing the Clipping file on the Kindle WiFi does NOT change your records with Amazon or in the eBooks.
Excellent suggestion, simaru. I didn't even know about that method, since I haven't yet used the highlight feature. If everything is deleted from the Amazon site, when your Kindle resynchs with your Amazon account, TenaciousBadger, it should clear the highlights from your Kindle as well. Too bad that this won't work with eBooks obtained from other sites, but as you specified that the eBook in question was from Amazon, you should be fine.

Please let us know whether or not you have success with doing the deletions that way.

Of course, this still won't by-pass the apparently publisher-specified highlight limit for the book. Are you going to copy the current highlights to your computer for reference, then delete them from the Kindle and proceed to high-light the remainder of the book (this time trying not to exceed the limit)? You won't be able to view the first set of highlights from the Kindle, but at least you can check them out on your computer. This is going to get tedious if you have to do this several times - perhaps you should get your need to highlight under control and be more discriminating. (I remember getting carried away with my yellow highlighter when reading textbooks "back in the day" and ending up highlighting way more material than necessary for a useful synopsis of the pertinent facts. Turned out not to be such a good study aid until I learned some control. )

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?

Karma to you simaru! I knew about the site but I, in my great wisdom, didn't think it would help much.
I didn't really know you could edit the notes & highlights. I though it just displayed them. Definitely not the brightest on my part.
Will try it out as soon as I get to a Wifi area (yeah, I live in the sticks)

And Iris, yeah, that's what I plan to do. Save the other highlights and then add some more.

Thanks! As promised will add more when I managed to go back to civilisation.