Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
sonyreader1
sonyreader1 began at the beginning.

Device: Prospective Sony Reader
Will Sony reader & calibre be useful enough for me?

Hi

I'm thinking of buying a Sony Reader. Not so much for readiung books - more web pages.

reason - I love reading all kinds of web articles. However, I dont like reading
long articles on a computer monitor.

I downloaded calibre to see how it works. I got it to convert a daily mail newspaper atricle. When I view it in the viewer tho, I have to scroll across to get the text in the window (see attached).

My questions:

-Whenever u open a translated file using 'View' in Calibre - is this how it is going to look when displayed through the Sony Reader. ie. will i have to scroll across on the actual viewer?

-Does anyone else do much of this ie read web articles on the Reader. if so, do u find the process pretty painless or is it more hassle than its worth?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dm.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	28482  
sonyreader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyreader1 View Post
-Whenever u open a translated file using 'View' in Calibre - is this how it is going to look when displayed through the Sony Reader. ie. will i have to scroll across on the actual viewer?
It should reflow on the Reader's screen. If you download and install the Sony software the viewer it gives you is an exact representation of what you'll see on the screen of the device. That's probably the best way to answer your question on how it will look.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
sonyreader1
sonyreader1 began at the beginning.

Device: Prospective Sony Reader
ok..ive just tried other newspaper sites and the results are amazing.

one more question - if i get all my articles in epub format (by calibre)- can i just save them on an sd card? if i stick the sd card in the sony - does it just read the with no probs (ie no more converting required)?

cheers!
sonyreader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
I haven't worked with calibre, but I purchased a PRS-505 very recently.

I added one Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo (8GB). I use Linux and the memory card is simply displayed as a separate volume in addition to the reader's 220 MB. It is slightly slower than the reader's memory, but not enough to be a problem.

Calibre should read it the same as it reads the regular memory.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
If you put the output format to epub: the articles should be in epub format. Don't worry you will have loads of room if you have a 1gb sd card for example. I have recently only been using epub on my 505 with calibre. It does a great job. And, with one of the recent updates it will convert pdfs nicely to epub format and it keeps the photos in as well.

I read lemonde.fr, Clarin, and The Japan Times on my 505 from Calibre from time to time. It does a brilliant job. All the articles are put in the contents section (well the first line of each), Then you can just click to the one you want. Advice: set the fetchnews to at least 3 days but no more than 5 days. you can get toooooooo many articles at times.

hidari

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyreader1 View Post
ok..ive just tried other newspaper sites and the results are amazing.

one more question - if i get all my articles in epub format (by calibre)- can i just save them on an sd card? if i stick the sd card in the sony - does it just read the with no probs (ie no more converting required)?

cheers!
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert