Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-21-2016, 08:20 AM   #1
GalacticHull
Enthusiast
GalacticHull began at the beginning.

Device: kobo h2O
Importing Calibre Libraries, metadata.opf disappears

I recently merged 8 calibre libraries into one. The merged library contains about 26,000 titles, yet the OPF was only imported for 5,188 of the titles.

Looking at the seperate libraries, which I still have and use, I find all the metadata.opf files are right there where they should be. All of them.

How do 21,000 metadata.opf files get lost copying from one library to another?

And is there a fix?
GalacticHull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:28 AM   #2
GalacticHull
Enthusiast

This may be partially solved. I now notice in library maintenance I can "write' the opf files.

Assuming this works, is it a task I'll have to do whenever I copy to the large, full library from the smaller, more manageable libraries?
Old 12-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
metadata.opf is a backup mechanism, it will be regenerated automatically as time passes.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
to see the queue of the outstanding backing up metadata:
click the Library Icon : Library Maintenance: ... status (the first item)
this clears fairly briskly for small quantities of (metadata) changes (adding books is a change ), so seeing a 0 is not unusual. For larger batches, you will see it count down.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:22 AM   #5
GalacticHull
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
metadata.opf is a backup mechanism, it will be regenerated automatically as time passes.
Excellent. Was wondering why some were there, but not all. Thank you.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticHull View Post
Excellent. Was wondering why some were there, but not all. Thank you.
Regenerating the opf's for 26,000 books can take a while because it runs at very low priority - for me its about 50-80/minute.

The calibredb --backup-metadata command can be used to force re-generation of the OPF files, it should only take a minute or two to do 26,000. See ==>> Calibre calibredb command line program

Before using it close the library manager program and, if its running, the calibre server.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote