Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
smiffyuk
smiffyuk is a marvel to beholdsmiffyuk is a marvel to beholdsmiffyuk is a marvel to beholdsmiffyuk is a marvel to beholdsmiffyuk is a marvel to beholdsmiffyuk is a marvel to beholdsmiffyuk is a marvel to beholdsmiffyuk is a marvel to beholdsmiffyuk is a marvel to beholdsmiffyuk is a marvel to beholdsmiffyuk is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo touch
kobo touch

Hi
If I've posted this wrong I apologise but I'm new to this and here goes
6 months ago I purchased a new kobo touch from eBay and have been using and enjoying it until now
I have downloaded books from kobo and overdrive ( via my local library) but the other day following a connection to my pc I found I had a download of new software from kobo.
I had already selected a new book to read from overdrive and using adobe drm transferred it to my touch and after reading the new book I wanted to delete from my reader and add another one from adobe drm ( again from overdrive)
I discovered that when I plugged my touch into my pc ( running win 8)
neither adobe or kobo desktop would recognise my reader I'm now at an impasse to resolve this I don't know if tis a problem with the kobo software or a problem with win 8
Any suggestion would be gratefully received and many thanks in advance to anyone who helps
Frank aka smiffyuk
smiffyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffyuk View Post
Hi
If I've posted this wrong I apologise but I'm new to this and here goes
6 months ago I purchased a new kobo touch from eBay and have been using and enjoying it until now
I have downloaded books from kobo and overdrive ( via my local library) but the other day following a connection to my pc I found I had a download of new software from kobo.
I had already selected a new book to read from overdrive and using adobe drm transferred it to my touch and after reading the new book I wanted to delete from my reader and add another one from adobe drm ( again from overdrive)
I discovered that when I plugged my touch into my pc ( running win 8)
neither adobe or kobo desktop would recognise my reader I'm now at an impasse to resolve this I don't know if tis a problem with the kobo software or a problem with win 8
Any suggestion would be gratefully received and many thanks in advance to anyone who helps
Frank aka smiffyuk
It could be as simple as your cable that you use to communicate has broken and chose that time to do it. Try a known good cable and see how that goes.

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As jackastor store suggests, it could be a cable. And it could be a the USB port. So...

When you connect, does the device show the connect prompt? When you press connect, does the connected screen get shown? Does Windows see the device? If so, can you copy a file to it?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Or it could be that Adobe has reset your account password due to its having been hacked and your device is no longer authorized.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffyuk View Post
.. the other day following a connection to my pc I found I had a download of new software from kobo.
I don't know exactly why this is but it has been my experience that after the firmware on the reader updated, the next time you plug it into your computer (I have observed this on windows machines) it recognises the reader as a new device (the name of this new device reflects the new firmware edition) and there is a bit of a lag as windows updates/changes the USB drivers for the reader. After a few moments the device will appear withing windows and ADE.

If this process is interrupted (cable pulled, something crashes) it will not see the decice device. Unplugging and reconnecting will often fix the issue, however it seems to take windows its sweet time to recognise that the device has been attached and restart updating the driver.

If you can try connecting to a different computer (and a different cable just to rule connectivity problems with the cable), hopefully the device will be detected and appear. Should that not work the last thing you can try is a factory reset.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote