Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
BitTorrent Sync

BitTorrent put Sync in pre-Alpha Sync in public access. It has Linux ARM client that works on Kindle (as tested on Kindle Touch).

Looking ahead, it could turn into niche solution for syncing Kindle and main computer. Maybe not for all people, but for some.

I've achieved successful syncronization between my computer and Kindle Touch 5.3.2 with Sync v1.0.75. Fact of file creating/deleting is propagated in 5-20 seconds. Here are used configuration files:
  • Kindle:
    Spoiler:
    Code:
    {
      "device_name": "Kindle",
      "listening_port" : 12321,
      "check_for_updates" : false,
      "use_upnp" : false,
      "download_limit" : 0,
      "upload_limit" : 0,
      "shared_folders" :
      [
        {
          "secret" : "X",
          "dir" : "/mnt/us/documents/bridge",
          "use_relay_server" : true,
          "use_dht" : true,
          "search_lan" : false,
          "use_sync_trash" : false
        }
      ]
    }
  • computer:
    Spoiler:
    Code:
    {
      "device_name": "Host",
      "listening_port" : 12322,
      "check_for_updates" : false,
      "use_upnp" : false,
      "download_limit" : 0,
      "upload_limit" : 0,
      "shared_folders" :
      [
        {
          "secret" : "X",
          "dir" : "/home/user/kindle",
          "use_relay_server" : true,
          "use_dht" : true,
          "search_lan" : false,
          "use_sync_trash" : false
        }
      ]
    }

Sync has much more configurable configuration settings (for example, web interface credentials), you can look at them with option
Code:
--dump-sample-config
Other command-line options could be viewed with Sync --help .

Sync puts its settings and log in .sync folder along the executable, but it could be changed in configuration file.

Sync can "stuck" on Kindle at the first start just after launch because of low available entropy. You can add available entropy by typing anything on Kindle [virtual] keyboard or by constant swiping over the touchscreen. But anyway, after 3-4 minutes Sync will "continue to work" even without producing the entropy. It needs 640 bits of entropy at first start and if it will be provided with them it will not "stuck". Number of available entropy bits could be displayed with:
Code:
cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail
To access Sync web interface (if it's not disabled) you can forward its port with SSH:
Code:
ssh -L8889:localhost:8888 root@192.168.15.244
Then access web-interface on localhost:8889 on main computer.

Nothing should be changed in iptables chains. By default, Kindle Touch has policy ACCEPT for OUTPUT chain and rules for ACCEPT tcp with state RELATE/ESTABLISHED and ACCEPT udp with state ESTABLISHED in INPUT chain. It's sufficient for Sync.

Last edited by eureka; 05-04-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Sync is available to all
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
your information is good for all devices I believe. Thanks for this.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
eureka
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've read an anecdotal report about very slow (practically, non-working) sync between just two devices (adding more devices fixed it), so it's possible I've had perfect setup, but current Sync quirks ruined my experience.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:47 AM   #4
kos13
kos13 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.kos13 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.kos13 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.kos13 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.kos13 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.kos13 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.kos13 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.kos13 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.kos13 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.kos13 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.kos13 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: none
Sync on Kindle

I am involved in development of Sync, so want to clarify few things:

1. We never tested it on Kindle, so hadn't had any chance to optimize for the device. It is nice that it works
2. Sync uses AES256 to encrypt the traffic, we saw some reports that this could significantly slow down the synchronization.
3. It is in pre-Alpha, so there should be issues that we hadn't found yet.

If we might get a help from you - debug log files - to analyze the issue, then I am sure it will work perfectly on Kindle.

Anyway we will touch Kindle at some point of time, but log files could significantly speed the things up.

Thank you testing Sync,
kos
kos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Damn good of you.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The newer Kindles have AES hardware in the SoC, which could improve speed and battery consumption.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
eureka

I've updated first port with impressions of new build v1.0.75 (thanks to kos13). In short, it works fine, but first start could be noticably slow because of high amount of required entropy. I was also wrong about required changes of iptables rules.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Nothing should be changed in iptables chains. By default, Kindle Touch has policy ACCEPT for OUTPUT chain and rules for ACCEPT tcp with state RELATE/ESTABLISHED and ACCEPT udp with state ESTABLISHED in INPUT chain. It's sufficient for Sync.
Did you use my new KUAL Firewall Report button to learn that?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
eureka

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Did you use my new KUAL Firewall Report button to learn that?
Is it new brand for good ol' iptables -L -v ?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Is it new brand for good ol' iptables -L -v ?
one touch instead of all that typing.
SUPER PLUS - adds: -n so you don't have to wait for DNS lookups.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
eureka

Sync is available to all interested now.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
farfeduc
Kindle Addict
farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.farfeduc is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I made a KUAL extension (I'm on PW so I don't know if it works for others).

Leafpad Required !! (to edit the config : If you don't have then modify with computer or prefered notepad on kindle)

Instructions :

-Copy it like usual in /mnt/us/extensions
-open KUAl and choose the "Edit config" option
-Modify the Secret to match with your computer
-reopen KUAL and start the sync

Download here
Attached Files
File Type: zip btsync.zip (1.37 MB, 676 views)

Last edited by farfeduc; 05-25-2013 at 11:10 AM.
farfeduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:27 AM   #13
ugumba
ugumba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Just tried this (the KUAL extension) on a PW2, with a full access secret from my server (1.2.82).
sync.log claims the secret is invalid. Any thoughts?

I was hoping to use btsync for wireless backups - nothing essential, but exceedingly neat if it works :-)

EDIT:

By generating the secret on the Kindle side, at least btsync runs without errors. But it seems unable to connect to my server.

By replacing the folder config with the section to enable webui, I could access the webui fine from my PC, and add a folder from there. Still, my server and kindle seem unable to talk to each other.

I tried downloading the 1.2.82 ARM binary, but it crashes with "bus error" on the Kindle. I'm not knowledgeable enough to proceed from here. :-(

Last edited by ugumba; 01-02-2014 at 07:43 AM.
ugumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #14
eureka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugumba View Post
Just tried this (the KUAL extension) on a PW2, with a full access secret from my server (1.2.82).
sync.log claims the secret is invalid. Any thoughts?

I was hoping to use btsync for wireless backups - nothing essential, but exceedingly neat if it works :-)

EDIT:

By generating the secret on the Kindle side, at least btsync runs without errors. But it seems unable to connect to my server.

By replacing the folder config with the section to enable webui, I could access the webui fine from my PC, and add a folder from there. Still, my server and kindle seem unable to talk to each other.

I tried downloading the 1.2.82 ARM binary, but it crashes with "bus error" on the Kindle. I'm not knowledgeable enough to proceed from here. :-(
Wild obvious guess: maybe version mismatching between client/server plays important role here.

As for Bus error, try http://www.bittorrent.com/intl/en/help/faq/sync#faq15 (last answer) and read relevant topic: http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/22...ignment-error/ . Though, maybe it will not help http://jsolano.net/2012/09/06/arm-un...oint-in-linux/

Also see http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/20...-the-nokia-n9/ . Possibly, post on Sync forum will help.

Tags
launcher add-ons