Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #361
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
They are (alas) doing competitive design; since neither Kobo nor Nook has audio (and Sony just dropped it) they dropped the audio + tts. Apparently the audible sales didn't justify it.
Regretable.
yep, the TTS is gone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #362
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Are you saying I should exchange it instead?
Factor in the return shipping charges you'll have to pay for sending back a non-defective device.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #363
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Disappointed with no audio/TTS. I don't use it much, but still. (And it is not clear that Fire HD has TTS, just the audiobook whispersync thing). And only 2GB now (actually only 1.25GB available). Crap.

I just ordered one, and will probably not cancel, but my vibe is a little harshed.

Note the $49.99 4G plan for Fire HD LTE is just for the first year. After that, presumably it goes up to the normal $14.99/mo that AT&T charges.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-06-2012 at 04:50 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #364
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
I didn't realize there were differences in the two models. Return/repurchase is definitely the way to go.
Is the form factor the same? Wondering if I need to return my case as well.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #365
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I sent them an e-mail requesting a $10 refund (it will be spent on a book the minute it arrives anyway), I will see how they respond. Exchanging is a lot of hassle. but even though it is probably the same screen it looks whiter, perhaps the contrast to the black bezel?
I would kill to have black bezel on mine. The contrast is poor but I added a custom font to make it darker which makes up for it. I know in the latest firmware they said better Text but I didn't see it so I am thinking black, bezel, more storage, fonts and price drop has just made this the almost perfect reader. If it had a light it would be perfect!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #366
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Factor in the return shipping charges you'll have to pay for sending back a non-defective device.
I believe they supply free shipping. If not, then yes, that has to be factored in.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #367
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
But the kindle always had tts!

D$&@ you Bezos. May birds droppings land on your bald head.

Oh well, I guess nobody wants my crummy $120.
I think they have slowly been phasing it out if you look at the previously released models.

Least I know of alternatives. Yeah, Audible would be nice, but I don't want the monthly expense to go along with all the other monthly bills.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #368
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Looks like it.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/6/329...ds-on-pictures
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #369
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I just ordered one, but will have to think now.
I'm still thinking a bit too, but figured I'd pre-order and get in line. Can always cancel (and they have a good return policy too).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #370
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
Having access to Google Play and receiving the latest version of the OS (without rooting) is key. The Fire HD's (possibly/slightly) better hardware isn't worth being dragged into Amazon's exclusive ecosphere.

I can still read Amazon books and listen to Amazon music on my Nexus 7.
Yeah; the only thing from Amazon's ecosystem you can't put on another Android tablet is Amazon Instant Video. No big deal, because Netflix is better anyway.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #371
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

This has to be the fastest expanding thread in MR history
Old 09-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #372
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
She can get those waived if she pushes it. She's not returning it because she doesn't want one. She's wants the better one. You may try Kindle support's chat. I've had good and bad experiences. Calling is the best option.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #373
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Yes they are the same dimensions. So keep the case.
6.5" x 4.5" x 0.34" is the K4 and the
NK4 is 6.5" x 4.5" x 0.34"
Old 09-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #374
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Yes they are the same dimensions. So keep the case.
6.5" x 4.5" x 0.34" is the K4 and the
NK4 is 6.5" x 4.5" x 0.34"
Of course keep the case. Black goes with everything!
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #375
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

True but returning the K4 SO and the case will get me a PW and money back. Off course the PW will also require a case. Ohhhh, decsions, decisions.