Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
When did the Sony Reader Store Change?

A couple of days ago I was viewing the "Deals, Freebies, and Resources" Forum and decided to check the price of an eBook in the Reader Store (thru the internet not the computer software).

The site sure looked different and when I clicked to view a few eBooks I noticed the "add to cart" button worked (not the grayed out button - directing you to the software?). As a test I "purchased" a free eBook and successfully downloaded it to ADE. Then I opened the Reader Library and also downloaded it there.

I last purchased from the Reader Store in April and noticed my computer Software has also changed. I didn't do it! The first thing I noticed was the search box is on the right side when it was originally on the left.

Has anyone else noticed these changes?

Karen
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I first read about if on Koland's site (Books on the Knob) either last week or over the weekend, but I'm not sure when they started the web based store.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Just before the weekend. I remember posting some updates for stuff and noticing that the website now had a direct login option (but silly me, I tried to get the freebies through the app which took enough time to load just the library before it let me into the store that I could walk off and fix myself a snack).

I don't think I'm ever launching their horrible app again, unless it's to re-download something from the archive which I don't want to dig through pages of stuff on the website for.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
They tweeted this morning that they now have a web store
Quote:
Sony Reader Store ‏@SonyReaderStore
Attn readers! We now have a web-based Reader Store, giving you more freedom to read anytime, anywhere. Learn more here:http://bit.ly/MAzeu4
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
That's great news. I used to avoid their store like the plaque because I hated the desktop application.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozennorth View Post
That's great news. I used to avoid their store like the plaque because I hated the desktop application.
I used to find it annoying that I could purchase anything if I was at work or elsewhere I missed at least one bargain due to waiting till I got home to the desktop application
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
I have to wonder if they're going to use this to enforce the geographic restrictions you could bypass with the app.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
I have always used Sony Reader Library software with my PRS 950 and downloaded purchased Sony books into my library which is referenced by Sony Reader Library software. Then I drag the book(s) from my library to the 950 which is connected via USB.

I don't want to load books onto my 950 wirelessly.

Thus, how do I load books onto my 950 using the online Sony Reader Store without doing it wirelessly?

Last edited by petercreasey; 06-06-2012 at 03:10 PM.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I have always used Sony Reader Library software with my PRS 950 and downloaded purchased Sony books into my library which is referenced by Sony Reader Library software. Then I drag the book(s) from my library to the 950 which is connected via USB.

I don't want to load books onto my 950 wirelessly.

Thus, how do I load books onto my 950 using the online Sony Reader Store without doing it wirelessly?
Peter,

I think you can do it the same way you've always done. If you are online with the Sony store and buy something, it gives you the option of downloading the book that minute, or doing it later. I just tested by buying a free or two book but I don't have my reader here, so when I get home I will click download the book on my desktop computer (for one book) and download the other via using my T1 wireless. I suspect when I download the book on my pc it will probably store it in the Reader software (although I would be just as happy if I can direct the download to my desktop and drag and drop it to my T1 because I hate the Sony for PC software).

I guess I won't know until tonight.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvduchovny View Post
I suspect when I download the book on my pc it will probably store it in the Reader software
I guess I won't know until tonight.
L, Thanks, I'll look forward to hearing how it works for you.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Newbie question

I will be getting my PRST1 'soon-ish' and was wondering if I could now bypass downloading the Reader software entirely?

I currently have a Kobo Touch and don't even have their app downloaded on my computer. I just purchase from Kobo store and load it directly into Calibre from ADE and sync via USB to my KT. I never use the wifi feature on my KT.

Can I do this same process with T1? Just set up account with Sony store like I did with Kobo store and do the same thing?
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can bypass Sony's software and just use Calibre to manage your content.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #13
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can bypass Sony's software and just use Calibre to manage your content.
Thank you JSWolf.
Do you advise waiting until I get my T1 to register an account with the Sony store, ie would it make the process smoother?
Also, when you click on the 'getting started' link, the first step seems to imply that you download the reader app and then create your reader account.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
Thank you JSWolf.
Do you advise waiting until I get my T1 to register an account with the Sony store, ie would it make the process smoother?
Also, when you click on the 'getting started' link, the first step seems to imply that you download the reader app and then create your reader account.
The first thing to do is go create an account at Adobe.com. Then wait until you get your T1. Once you get your T1, you log into the Sony Store using your T1 and your Adobe.com account information to authorize your T1 for Adobe DRM.

Also, go check your library for eBooks it may have as there's probably a waiting list. And go to google.com and look up Apprentice Alf to learn how to remove eBook DRM.

Another thing to do is get the Moify ePub plugin. You can read about it over at the Calibre Plugin forum. Also give the Calibre forums a read to learn how to use it. Ask questions there is you need/want help. Also read the thread about the modified home screen in the Sony Developer Corner forum as you'll find out about the modified reading app that fixes the font switching bug.

One font I rather like on the T1 is Charis SIL. I'll post my modified Charis SIL that has smallcaps and is a little bit darker and better for eink contrast.

I also suggest getting a cover. I like the Sony Light Cover.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes

You can get it from B&N for less and with free shipping in the US. They do ship outside the US. No idea the shipping to Canada.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-06-2012 at 07:02 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #15
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sure glad I wasn't dreaming! No wifi needed. In fact I have a PRS505 - no wifi! Now if the usb cord would quit getting lost I might be able to load the eBook I downloaded. There is one thing I like about the desktop software that I don't like about the web - I can download more than one book at a time!

Karen
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote