Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
An author fighting the spambots and the pricingbots

Here is an interesting article by an author who is fighting the spam bots and the pricing bots on Amazon:

How Bots Seized Control of My Pricing Strategy
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
That is very interesting. The end result seems to be that the price of the book that you or me would pay went down by $4.19. Go bot.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
That is very interesting. The end result seems to be that the price of the book that you or me would pay went down by $4.19. Go bot.
Why would you buy a book about understanding computers from a guy who doesn't understand computers?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
misling
Zealot
misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.misling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've been a programmer for some 30 years, and I understand quite a few complex programs, but I wouldn't claim to understand Amazon's pricing bots unless I had a copy of the code to read.
misling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Tempest, meet teapot. The author is still getting paid the same by Amazon. So why does he care how the retailer is pricing his book?
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Tempest, meet teapot. The author is still getting paid the same by Amazon. So why does he care how the retailer is pricing his book?
Because stuff like this grossly undermines human instrumentality. Its worse on sites like eBay, though, because an auction bot can outbid someone in the last few seconds, despite the would-be winner's having placed what seemed like a safe, reasonable bid; and possibly his willingness to pay more if given the chance.

But, such is Capitalism. Try to stop it, and McCarthy's ghost will give you a nucular wedgie.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Because stuff like this grossly undermines human instrumentality. Its worse on sites like eBay, though, because an auction bot can outbid someone in the last few seconds, despite the would-be winner's having placed what seemed like a safe, reasonable bid; and possibly his willingness to pay more if given the chance.
Sounds like someone doesn't understand the concept of an eBay auction.
It they were willing to pay more, they should have bid more.
Anyone who bids more than once hasn't correctly worked out how much they value the item.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Sounds like someone doesn't understand the concept of an eBay auction.
It they were willing to pay more, they should have bid more.
Anyone who bids more than once hasn't correctly worked out how much they value the item.
Never been outbid and said, "Wow, I would've bid more, but I didn't expect the auction to go that high?"

Either way, you're just making excuses for someone else's greed and lack of ethics. Botters drive up the price of goods beyond what's reasonable, humans find themselves wondering just what the heck happened, and the lack of ethics just perpetuates itself.

Then again, being ethical and moral went out of style when economics schools began teaching Ayn Rand as gospel.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:37 AM   #9
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Never been outbid and said, "Wow, I would've bid more, but I didn't expect the auction to go that high?"
Then I would have bid more in the first place. That is how it is meant to work. Decide how much you want to pay, bid that.

Quote:
Either way, you're just making excuses for someone else's greed and lack of ethics. Botters drive up the price of goods beyond what's reasonable, humans find themselves wondering just what the heck happened, and the lack of ethics just perpetuates itself.
Your original post said:
Quote:
So they would have been prepared to pay more, and the bots are driving up the price beyond what is reasonable? Both can't be true.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Because bots are driving the pricing - not people.

On the reverse side - there was a thread here previously in which a bot system drove up an out of print DTB to over $73k (I think that number is correct) in a bot vs bot pricing war.

And guess what? None of those bots were attached to companies/people who actually had the book for sale.

So, I can understand his frustration - how is a computer algorithm dictating my pricing structure?
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
Charlie Prime
Charlie Prime began at the beginning.

Device: varioso
Thank your for the article emelliach.

Funny. At the end he says of the Amazon bot: "...that old gambler's proverb: “If you can't spot the sucker, it's you.

I counteract Amazon pricing bots by not using them.

Quote:
..being ethical and moral went out of style when economics schools began teaching Ayn Rand as gospel.
Haahaha. What imaginary planet are you referring to where 'economics schools' teach anything other than fascist Keynesian economics?
Charlie Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
I don't use a bot with ebay but I do try to 'snipe' at the end. Why get a bidding frenzy going ahead of time? I decide the max I'm willing to pay and put my bid in under about 5 seconds left. If I get it I get and if I don't I don't.
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr72 View Post
I don't use a bot with ebay but I do try to 'snipe' at the end. Why get a bidding frenzy going ahead of time? I decide the max I'm willing to pay and put my bid in under about 5 seconds left. If I get it I get and if I don't I don't.
How does that differ from putting the same bid in when the auction opens?
If the final price is below your max price, you'll have the winning bid, at whatever the minimum value was to beat the second highest bid. If the final price is above your max price, you won't have the winning bid.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
How does that differ from putting the same bid in when the auction opens?
If the final price is below your max price, you'll have the winning bid, at whatever the minimum value was to beat the second highest bid. If the final price is above your max price, you won't have the winning bid.
Well I'm convinced that people on ebay get themselves into a bidding war and lose their heads when it comes to the final price they are willing to pay. I don't want to add fuel to that by bidding early. But even if my theory is totally without merit, what does it matter besides the inconvenience of being sure to be at my computer at the end of the auction to put my bid in? If I find the auction is over what I'm willing to pay at that point I don't bother to bid at all.
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Because bots are driving the pricing - not people.

On the reverse side - there was a thread here previously in which a bot system drove up an out of print DTB to over $73k (I think that number is correct) in a bot vs bot pricing war.

And guess what? None of those bots were attached to companies/people who actually had the book for sale.

So, I can understand his frustration - how is a computer algorithm dictating my pricing structure?
The author has chosen not to sell direct to consumers. His customer is the distributor. He has chosen his pricing structure and Amazon is living up to it. By choosing to use a distributor, he is giving up control on price to the end user/customer.

However, if you think that the author should be allowed to use a distributor and choose the pricing to the end consumer, then you are supporting an agency pricing model.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote