Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Select between the following options:
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 17 44.74%
Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald 21 55.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #46
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Good luck. So far, I'm not really enjoying it all that much.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #47
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Just about to start Tender is the Night. Wish me luck.
Good luck! I hope you enjoy it better than I did! I guess I got even more confirmation that this really isn't my genre!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #48
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Good luck! I hope you enjoy it better than I did! I guess I got even more confirmation that this really isn't my genre!
That's exactly what I'm worried about .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #49
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Just about to start Tender is the Night. Wish me luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Good luck. So far, I'm not really enjoying it all that much.
Quote:
Quote:
That's exactly what I'm worried about .
I've just dipped into it because I'm trying to do some deck-clearing first (books all over the place, material and virtual). I am entranced with how beautifully it is written. I hope that even if some don't like the story, that they find the language and imagery provide sufficient entertainment to make it worthwhile.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:52 AM   #50
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I I am entranced with how beautifully it is written. I hope that even if some don't like the story, that they find the language and imagery provide sufficient entertainment to make it worthwhile.
I too liked the way it was written. They words really painted a picture. Unfortunately as soon as the people entered that picture and took over it I lost interest. Probably tells as much about me as about the book...
Advert
Old 02-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #51
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've just dipped into it because I'm trying to do some deck-clearing first (books all over the place, material and virtual). I am entranced with how beautifully it is written. I hope that even if some don't like the story, that they find the language and imagery provide sufficient entertainment to make it worthwhile.
Quote:
I too liked the way it was written. They words really painted a picture. Unfortunately as soon as the people entered that picture and took over it I lost interest. Probably tells as much about me as about the book...
I agree. it is beautifully written, but so far (only 8% of the way in), it seems horribly trivial - reminds me of a victorian "manners" novel.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #52
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Read this from wiki:

Quote:
... Two versions of this novel are in print. The first version, published in 1934, uses flashbacks while the second revised version, prepared by Fitzgerald's friend and noted critic Malcolm Cowley on the basis of notes for a revision left by Fitzgerald, is ordered chronologically; this version was first published posthumously in 1951. Critics have suggested that Cowley's revision was undertaken due to negative reviews of the temporal structure of the book on its first release. ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #53
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder how we can tell which version we have? I haven't any flashbacks in the first 15 chapters of mine.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #54
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I wonder how we can tell which version we have? I haven't any flashbacks in the first 15 chapters of mine.
The first major flashback is at the start of Book II that follows Chapter XXV of Book I.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:28 AM   #55
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

The MR version starts with a flashback in Book 2.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #56
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I've got the Amazon version.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #57
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Quote:
I agree. it is beautifully written, but so far (only 8% of the way in), it seems horribly trivial - reminds me of a victorian "manners" novel.
Thanks. Very astute comments. If this book was about 100 pages shorter I might overcome the general late winter cranky doldrums just to finish the book club section. This like all things ebbs and flows. The individual harmonics and their superposition producing the overall peaks and troughs.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #58
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Hm, I want to make sure mine's not the posthumously revised version but I don't know how.

Could someone post something easy and small to check to find out? I'd appreciate it. I know I could read Book 2 to find out, but I'd have to read enough to realise if it were a flashback or not and I'd rather not spoil it as I haven't even started Book 1 yet.

For instance, wouldn't the first few words of Book 2 in each version be different? So could someone just post what the first word or two of each edition is as an easy way to check without spoiling the story?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #59
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
This one should be the 1934 edition, courtesy of the University of Adelaide library.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #60
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
This one should be the 1934 edition, courtesy of the University of Adelaide library.
Oh good, 'cos that's the version I'm currently reading . Thank you paola.

Tags
2012, book club, february, poll, run-off