Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
javese
Zealot
javese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge(Black)
lcd2eink

What lcd2eink can do?
1.mirror tablet to the reader,both display and touch input.so you can read (with kindle,moon+,and other reader apps)and surf web on the reader side;
2.turn off the lcd backlight without locking it;
3.use reader as an input pad with 128 levels pressure sensibility for tablet;
4.rotate the reader screen in landscape to 180 degree;
it works on rooted ee/pe running ermine;
Thanks to all who contributed ideas to refine the app.

How to use it?
1.root your PE with Z4root;
2.disable the "root" toast;
the root info is displayed by the "super user" application,and it can be disabled by doing this :super user->setting->notification(uncheck).
3.install lcd2eink;
unzip lcd2eink.apk from the attachment,copy it ito your PE;
click lcd2eink.apk in you PE to install the application;
4.grant lcd2eink root privilege;
launch lcd2eink,whenever the "lcd2eink asking for root permission" dialog is displayed,select "yes".
5.copy lcd display to eink;
you have 5 methods to trigger a sreen dump.
1)pull down the notification bar,and click "capture now!";
2)check "automatic mode",and it will automatically dump the sreen every x second(s);
3)press the app swither key ("the one that have a sign of a double headed arrow",thanks fgruber) with "Use Reader App Switcher Key" checked ;
4)press page key with both "Use Reader Page Keys" and "Use Reader App Switcher Key" checked;it will also turn page for some reader app on lcd(such as kindle) before the screen dump;
5)touch the reader screen with wacom pen with "Capture after Pen Up" and "Use Wacom Pen Input" checked;
you need to manually set your reader to landscape mode after the first dump,but you won't need to do it any more.
6.operate android app on eink;
1)check "Use Wacom Pen Input";
2)calibrate for the "wacom pen event to tablet" mapping by following the calibration wizard;
3)use wacom pen to operate android app on eink;
7.turn off the lcd backlight without locking it;
long press app switch key for more than 1 second will turn on/off the backlight of lcd.
8.rotate the reader screen in landscape to 180 degree;
press "Rotate Reader Screen Horizontally" will rotate the reader screen in landscape to 180 degree.one more press will rotate it back.
9.use reader as an input pad with 128 levels pressure sensibility for tablet;
check "Use Wacom Pen Input",lauch a drawing app which can handle pressure sensibility on tablet,such as "scribble".use wacom pen on eink to draw;

-------------------------------------
lcd2eink,a tool runs on your pe which can dump your lcd display to eink.Yet I don't see much use of such a tool,but maybe someone can find an interesting way to use it,so here it is. It doesn't use any PE specific api so it should be able to work on EE as well,but it's not verified as I don't have An EE.If any of you get a chance to try it on EE,please kindly let me know the result.
And as usual,here is how to use:
2.unzip lcd2eink.apk from the attachment,copy it ito your PE;
3.click lcd2eink.apk in you PE to install the application;
4.launch the application,a notification will be added into the notification bar;
5.whenever you want to do a screen dump,pull down the notification bar,and click "capture now!";
6.while in full screen display(such as a game),long press "home" to invoke "recent app",and bring lcd2eink to front .click "capture now!" in it's main window.

the first dump may be a mess because of the "asking for root permission" procedure.then all next dumps should be fine.

you may need to manually set your reader to landscape mode after the first dump,but you won't need to do it any more.

tested on my PE,ermine 0.9,z4rooted.

if you like it,let me know;if not,keep it a secret.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LCD2Eink_0.1.12.zip (48.5 KB, 647 views)

Last edited by javese; 10-26-2011 at 09:40 PM.
javese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
fgruber
Academic
fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Plus
I tried and seems to be working fine on the PE. Thanks a lot!!

I will try on the EE later and I will let you know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by javese View Post
lcd2eink,a tool runs on your pe which can dump your lcd display to eink.Yet I don't see much use of such a tool,but maybe someone can find an interesting way to use it,so here it is. It doesn't use any PE specific api so it should be able to work on EE as well,but it's not verified as I don't have An EE.If any of you get a chance to try it on EE,please kindly let me know the result.
4.launch the application,a notification will be added into the notification bar;
5.whenever you want to do a screen dump,pull down the notification bar,and click "capture now!";
6.while in full screen display(such as a game),long press "home" to invoke "recent app",and bring lcd2eink to front .click "capture now!" in it's main window.

the first dump may be a mess because of the "asking for root permission" procedure.then all next dumps should be fine.

you may need to manually set your reader to landscape mode after the first dump,but you won't need to do it any more.

fgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by javese View Post

I always wanted a screen capture utility for android!!! excellent!

Last edited by garyhgaryh; 07-22-2011 at 10:15 AM.
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
fgruber
Academic
fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a question. would it be possible to have some sort of automatic refresh so that whenever there is a change in the LCD the eink will refresh with the most recent screen dump?. Thinking for example using in the kindle app so that everytime you change page it would show it on the other eink

It would essentially be like a clone app
Old 07-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #5
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
I have a question. would it be possible to have some sort of automatic refresh so that whenever there is a change in the LCD the eink will refresh with the most recent screen dump?. Thinking for example using in the kindle app so that everytime you change page it would show it on the other eink

It would essentially be like a clone app
you would have to do it every five seconds or similar or you would queue up a ton of stuff, the LCD has multiple frames per second while the e-ink has multiple seconds per frame(max).
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
fgruber
Academic

I was hoping that perhaps the app could detect input from the user and then refresh. Say when I change page then it should refresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
you would have to do it every five seconds or similar or you would queue up a ton of stuff, the LCD has multiple frames per second while the e-ink has multiple seconds per frame(max).
Old 07-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
I was hoping that perhaps the app could detect input from the user and then refresh. Say when I change page then it should refresh.
That could work, though you would have to make sure its just on the first touch or something. I think it would be nice if we could remap the app switching button on the e-ink side(does anyone really use it) to tell it to update the screen, that's the best way I can think of.

@javase, any chance you could release the source code? If you need/want somewhere to host it I can give you some space on my site...
Old 07-23-2011, 03:18 AM   #8
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
I think it would be nice if we could remap the app switching button on the e-ink side(does anyone really use it) to tell it to update the screen, that's the best way I can think of.
I use the app switcher! I often have a journal and a book open at the same time. Sometimes a calendar page and book and journal! I don't use the magnifying glass button much. You can have that one!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
garyhgaryh
Zealot

I've not gotten this. to work. it keeps crashing on me. I'm running ermine.. any ideas? wish I could take a screenshot of the failure .
Old 07-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
emusan
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
I've not gotten this. to work. it keeps crashing on me. I'm running ermine.. any ideas? wish I could take a screenshot of the failure .
are you rooted?
Old 07-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
garyhgaryh
Zealot

Quote:
are you rooted?
That's my problem. Thank you!
Old 07-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
garyhgaryh
Zealot

If I'm in portrait modem my screen shot is in landscape (e ink side) and vise versa. Is that normal?
thanks
Gary
Old 07-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
garyhgaryh
Zealot

I should learn how to read!
Old 07-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #14
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
wow. fantastic. somebody is doing real development. any chance we could link this to a hardware key, like long press on something? I can read my email in the garden?

Last edited by vicinc; 07-26-2011 at 06:03 PM.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #15
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Is there any possibility of making this work on unrooted units?
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote