Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
PuxyYunm
PuxyYunm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650
Formula Plots

Formula plots can be sneered at and despised, but they have been successful enough to survive, both in good literature and in real crap.

The one that pops into my mind first is the classic:

1. Boy meets girl

2a. They fall in love or
2b. They can't stand each other, then they fall in love

3. Something goes wrong in the relationship

4. One or both become enlightened and they live happily ever after, or at least until the sequel.

I've gotten into trouble, perhaps correctly, by looking at the elapsed time on a DVD and commenting, "Well, everything's about to go to hell for them", just before it does.

"If you've seen the movie, you should keep your yap shut!" is the usual rejoinder, often delivered at high volume.

"I haven't. It's just that time in the formula."

OK, I should have kept quiet, but I'd bet a stack of copyright-free (hey, that's NOT the topic) e-books that this group can make a heck of a good list of classic formulae (or "formulas" if you must).

One more, from my favorite Chinese martial arts movies:

1. Evil martial arts master destroys young boy's (or girl's!) family or training school, killing everyone but our hero-to-be.

2. Hero(ine) finds another martial arts master to train with. This usually includes a training montage anywhere from funny to interesting to appalling.

3. Hero(ine) finds and pounds evil master from step 1.

How about some more?
PuxyYunm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
The concept of the "chosen one" is usually pretty formulaic.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
The 1, 3, 7, 20, or 36 basic plots:

http://www.ipl.org/div/farq/plotFARQ.html
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Joseph Campbell's monomyth/hero's journey covers just about everything
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
A writer deviates from the standard plots at his own risk!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
1. Ancient/Archaeological Predule
2. Modern day Scientist/ex-Military Protagonist
3. Evil Industrialist/Foreign Nationalist c/w Evil New World Order Plan
4. Car Chases/Gunfights/Hand to Hand Combat over Stolen/Recovered Archaeological Artifact
5. Kidnapped Love Interest Killed/Rescued/Escapes
6. 40 pages left, Wrap Up (Archaeological Artifact Destroyed/Lost/Leads Hero to Treasure Chamber where Villain is killed by deus et machina)
7. Hero drives off in classic car pictured on back dust flap
8. Rinse & Repeat as needed.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
We shouldn't, of course, forget the whodunit.

1. Someone is murdered.
2. A famous detective appears (or is already on the scene).
3. Questions are asked.
4.Everyone appears to have a reason for committing the crime, but
5.It ends up being the most unlikely person.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The books/movies I most enjoy are the ones that surprise me. Where I didn't see the plot twist coming.

I also like when characters are different that the usual such as Elizabeth Moon's "Remnant Population" where the lead character is an old lady. Or her "Speed of Dark" where the lead is autistic.

These types of stories are more enjoyable to me because they are less formulaic.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:33 AM   #9
russellmz00
russellmz00 began at the beginning.

Device: sony pocket reader
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Plots
russellmz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:19 AM   #10
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmz00 View Post
Yes! Bless you, TVtropes. I'm such a fan of TVtropes that I'm using TVtrope tags as tags on my book blog posts. I've got a "boldly coming" coming up pretty soon XD
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote