Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
coryj
coryj began at the beginning.

Device: n/a
Issues with the "progress dots" Anyone else have this?

Hello,

I am having a strange issue with the "progress dots" on the homepage that show how much of the book you have read. Its not anything major, but it really annoys me that it isn't working properly, so I would like to try to fix it.

Basically, what happens is the row of dots on the home screen that show progress is wrong. it is off by about 25% (when I have read 25% of the book, it shows I read 1/2 and when I get about 3/4 of the way through,it says I have read 100% and stops adding more dots). However, within the book, the progress bar is fine. I have found this to be the case on about 6 different books I tested. I called amazon support and they said this *may* be fixed after I get the software update (still haven't received it yet), but I think the guy more didn't want to address the issue in hopes the update would fix it.

Has anyone else had this or does anyone know how to fix it? I have tried deleting/re-adding the files and it didn't go away.
coryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I just assumed that the dots weren't as accurate as the stuff inside the file. I only use the index dots to decide if the book is short enough to read in the time I have available.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
coryj

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I just assumed that the dots weren't as accurate as the stuff inside the file. I only use the index dots to decide if the book is short enough to read in the time I have available.
I should have noted in my OP that they used to not do this and it just sortof started to out of nowhere. One would think the dots on the frontpage are pulling from the same info as the one inside the file...

EDIT: Also, are you saying you have the same issue of the progress bar filling up long before you finish the book?

Last edited by coryj; 02-22-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I wasn't certain; that's why I didn't directly address it. I delete my books right after reading them, so I can't find any now to verify it.

However -- a text file I've been keeping, to keep track of what I've read --
that is positioned at the end of the text file, while the index only shows one dot out of 3 bold. So it's the opposite of what you are saying. Odd.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I've seen it recently. But since I don't rely on the progress bar to tell me where i am in the book when I am on the home screen, I can't tell you how long the error's been around.

Coryj, do you have the upgrade? I do. It might be related.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #6
coryj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Coryj, do you have the upgrade? I do. It might be related.
No, I don't. When I called in about the issue, the guy told me the upgrade would fix it, but he just seemed to be trying to get rid of me. I felt kindof like an idiot calling in about this, but it really bothers me for some reason.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So what I am gathering is that this is a 1.0 bug fixed in 1.0.4.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
coryj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So what I am gathering is that this is a 1.0 bug fixed in 1.0.4.
If anyone can get me 1.0.4 file, I can try to confirm/deny... I have been trying since the 15th to get the update to see if it resolved this, but it hasn't come to me yet.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I have the update. The problem is still here.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #10
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hard to measure the accuracy of the dots when we don't know exactly how they work. My better half despises the dots and would prefer page numbering
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote