Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-14-2021, 12:19 PM   #1
mcandre
Connoisseur
mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
Mobile ports?

Hi,

I enjoy using Calibre to organize and browse my ebook collection. In fact, this super app is one of the last remaining desktop applications that I cannot access from a mobile device. When can we expect Android and iOS ports of the basic features to be published?

I'm thinking a minimum viable product for Calibre on mobile would involve:

* Loading and saving library to cloud storage folder (e.g. Dropbox)
* Searching for books in my collection
* Launching book viewer (initially third party apps)
* Converting between formats

I know desktop Calibre includes hundreds of amazing features, but starting with these core capabilities would be a massive improvement to mobile workflows.

As a workaround, I basically have to ditch the entire Calibre system and use random websites to convert, then manually organize files in Dropbox, and view with third party apps. I'd like to see more and more of these mobile capabilities offered in an official Calibre app.
mcandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:53 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Have you considered using the calibre Content server?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2021, 01:33 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandre View Post
I enjoy using Calibre to organize and browse my ebook collection. In fact, this super app is one of the last remaining desktop applications that I cannot access from a mobile device. When can we expect Android and iOS ports of the basic features to be published?
Are you willing to do some of the the work required to convert even a portion of calibre's functionality to run under iOS or Android? If not, the heat death is likely to arrive first.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, ios, mobile