Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-08-2021, 01:03 PM   #31
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWoof View Post
Up until not too long ago, Kindles that got the new firmware all got it at the same time and the same version.
Except that the people that get down and dirty with the publicly available code have said that for quite some time that much of the code for different kindle models with the same firmware version number is different, not only because of hardware differences but also different feature sets and likely built from different code bases and written and maintained by different people.

Quote:
Amazon has skipped one update for the PW3
No, they did not. That update happened later, it was not skipped.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:54 PM   #32
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If you are doing "software development" and testing is so hard, you are likely doing something wrong, in general. Thinking of testing as separate from software development is the problem.

Most companies are doing it wrong. Especially ereaders. What updates should they be getting unless there is new format to support?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2021, 03:07 PM   #33
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Most companies are doing it wrong. Especially ereaders. What updates should they be getting unless there is new format to support?
Maybe things that support reading...like annotation, dictionary lookup, wikipedia lookup.

Performance improvements...are you saying that if someone figures out a way to boost performance that wasn't thought of in the past, that older devices shouldn't be updated?

If security protocols change making older ones obsolete, shouldn't the devices be updated so that they can continue to communicate with the outside world? (I realize that you believe such communications are evil and dangerous, but the vast majority of people do not, and welcome security updates)

I'm sure that there are others that I'm not thinking of right now, as well.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 06:20 PM   #34
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If you are doing "software development" and testing is so hard, you are likely doing something wrong, in general.
Amazon's software (outside AWS, which is quite distinct) is *famously* ropey. I mean there have been at least chapters of books and quite possibly books talking about how bad it is.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:57 PM   #35
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I took a quick look at the new firmware.

The most interesting new feature I came across is called "remote license release". Some books allow only a limited number of simultaneous copies to exist on a customer's devices. Remote license release provides a mechanism to see which registered Kindle apps/devices currently have copies downloaded and provides a means to remotely delete a copy from another device to free up a download for this Kindle.

There is also a new feature to remove "invalid downloads". This may be associated with remote license release.

There is also something called "ereader unified sync milestone 2". Perhaps they are working on improving Whispersync.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2021, 10:56 AM   #36
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post

There is also a new feature to remove "invalid downloads". This may be associated with remote license release.

I could be totally wrong, and this so far has been released for the Voyage and not my device (Oasis 3), but I am one of those who had glitched downloads since their last update where I cannot get rid of downloads that should not be there on the device. I'm wondering if this is part of fixing that glitch, although I haven't seen many hit with it like I have been.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:58 PM   #37
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I had several crashes over the course of the previous (feature bearing) update. I can imagine that these are the sort of things that ‘bug fixes and performance’ update like this one addresses.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:33 AM   #38
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
I skipped a few updates, but applied 5.13.5 to my PW4 and immediately noticed one annoyance that was apparently fixed in one of them:

In the past, after applying an update and restarting (update sideloaded from amazon.com), all of my themes using a sideloaded custom font would lose their font setting and show the same, san serif font. I would have to go back in and manually reset the font for each theme. The only theme without this problem used bookerly.

This didn't happen after the 5.13.5 update - all of my theme fonts were preserved.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:45 PM   #39
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
PW2 and KT2 quietly got 5.12.2.1.1, without release notes.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:11 AM   #40
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PW3 5.13.5 available
Old 03-17-2021, 03:55 PM   #41
raghiid
Connoisseur
raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Did they remove the "Publisher Font" option from the Aa menu? I have a lot of books embedded with cool fonts, and now I can't use them in this new update.
raghiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:20 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghiid View Post
Did they remove the "Publisher Font" option from the Aa menu? I have a lot of books embedded with cool fonts, and now I can't use them in this new update.
What "cool" fonts are these? Most eBooks with embedded fonts are far from cool and more along the lines of rubbish.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:20 AM   #43
raghiid
Connoisseur
raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raghiid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What "cool" fonts are these? Most eBooks with embedded fonts are far from cool and more along the lines of rubbish.
I use my own fonts, and they're lovely. Anyways, I started using the publisher font because the Kindle (PW3) was not saving my place in the book if I imported the fonts directly to the fonts folder and would constantly skip chapters.

I even used your ChareInk font and it still skipped chapters. I mainly use azw3 files imported through calibre. Now they force me to use only the default fonts.
raghiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:36 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghiid View Post
I use my own fonts, and they're lovely. Anyways, I started using the publisher font because the Kindle (PW3) was not saving my place in the book if I imported the fonts directly to the fonts folder and would constantly skip chapters.

I even used your ChareInk font and it still skipped chapters. I mainly use azw3 files imported through calibre. Now they force me to use only the default fonts.
I wonder if anyone else is having this same problem with 5.13.5 on a PW3. There is someone else's PW3 I was going to update, but I cannot if this is going to be a problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:57 AM   #45
hius07
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I wonder if anyone else is having this same problem with 5.13.5 on a PW3. There is someone else's PW3 I was going to update, but I cannot if this is going to be a problem.
Yes
https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?s=&s...st&p=105221360