Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-04-2021, 08:49 PM   #1
Baenwort
Baenwort began at the beginning.

Device: LG V60
LG V60 used to sync with Calibre but now crashes it

Hi,

I have been using a LG V60 with Calibre on a Windows 10 PC. It has worked fine until a recent update. Calibre on the Windows PC now crashes any time I plug the LG V60 into the computer.

I have tried:

1) In calibre, go to Preferences->Ignored Devices and check that your device is not being ignored
2) In calibre, go to Preferences->Plugins->Device Interface plugin and make sure the plugin for your device is enabled, the plugin icon next to it should be green when it is enabled.
3) The phone is seen by Windows 10 and shows as a navigable drive in Windows Explorer.
4) I have rebooted both the phone and the computer and this continues.

What else can I do to get this working again? Nothing has changed other than the version of Calibre installed on the PC.
Baenwort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:39 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sadly a few MTP devices have been known to cause crashes on windows. I have never got my hands on one so havent been able to fix it. You can try either resetting the device or using the wireless connection as described here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 01:22 PM   #3
Baenwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sadly a few MTP devices have been known to cause crashes on windows. I have never got my hands on one so havent been able to fix it. You can try either resetting the device or using the wireless connection as described here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd
This is a device that had been working prior to a recent update. I don't do every upgrade so I'm not sure which one caused the change.

I have tried resetting the device but it did not make a difference.
Old 04-24-2021, 01:35 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
With Calibre NOT running, can you see files (using explorer) on the device?

You might try renaming the metadata.calibre file (add a .bak) just in case it is corrupt. (the other file Calibre looks for is driveinfo.calibre, ~1K )
Note: metadata.calibre can take some time to regenerate after Calibre discovers the device. Wait it out (if Calibre does not crash)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:46 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It doesnt have anything to do with updates, there have been zero changes to the MTP driver in calibre in years. This is caused by something changing on the device, exposing a bug in the driver. Although I have actually just rewritten it partly for the next release, precisely to try to avoid these mysterious crashes. So maybe the next update of calibre will help, if not, then you will have to switch to wireless transfer, as described here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...kindle-fire-hd
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 11:44 PM   #6
Baenwort

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
With Calibre NOT running, can you see files (using explorer) on the device?

You might try renaming the metadata.calibre file (add a .bak) just in case it is corrupt. (the other file Calibre looks for is driveinfo.calibre, ~1K )
Note: metadata.calibre can take some time to regenerate after Calibre discovers the device. Wait it out (if Calibre does not crash)
I can see the files in Windows Explorer.

I'll give the two files a try and see what occurs.
Old 04-27-2021, 12:06 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Another thing to try is excluding the phone from Active A/V scans.
It might be trying to scan the file (metadate.calibre) that Calibre just requested
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 05:24 PM   #8
Baenwort

Just to report. None of the above ideas worked but the Android 12 update was released for the LG V60 and that fixed this issue.