Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-11-2019, 04:05 AM   #1
ThePebble
ThePebble began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max 2 Pro
Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro Terrible Eyestrain

Hi everyone,
I recently (about 3 weeks ago) bought the Onyx Max 2 Pro. At first, I was very pleased as it does exactly what I needed to, which is reading and annotating PDFs. However, I shortly realized to my great astonishment that I got terrible eyestrain from even short periods of use. And this even in excellent lighting conditions.

Has anybody experienced this type of eyestrain from a Boox device? Now, I have been using a Kindle Voyage (which uses a glass screen) for years without any problems in terms of eyestrain whatsoever. Because I have no issues at all with my kindle, I suspect that it might have something to do with the screen type (glass vs. plastic). Some reviewers of the Boox Note Pro remarked that it seems to have better contrast than its predecessor, possibly because of the glass screen. I’d be particularly interested in hearing from somebody who has used both the Note and the Note Pro (or any other plastic and glass screen devices), and would thus be able to compare the glass screen to the plastic one.

Additional notes: Applying the official screen protector interestingly somewhat reduced my eyestrain. I do get slight eyestrain from LCDs but not usually from paper.
ThePebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
nozonyan
Enthusiast
nozonyan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Perhaps the greyish background? Lower contrast may cause you to stress your eyes and muscles much more, even in perfect light conditions.
nozonyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert