Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2019, 11:07 AM   #31
pastaenthusiast
pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Not going to lie, the low price point and buttons make me tempted to switch from my kobo aura one. Ultimately there is such a small difference between ereaders these days, though, that it's hard to justify switching anything especially because I would lose some 'deluxe' features (flush screen, larger screen).
pastaenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #32
Boneist
Enthusiast
Boneist doesn't litterBoneist doesn't litterBoneist doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Now, the Libra or the Forma? I liked the Forma before my wife saw it. But, the smaller size might be better. Do you think she'd notice if I came back with both?
FWIW, I bought a Forma after I dropped my beloved H2O on a hard floor and the substrate broke (RIP ). The Forma isn’t much taller than the H2O, although it is wider. I don’t carry mine in a pocket, so it doesn’t matter to me at all.

I love the bigger screen, although I didn’t really notice a difference; I just read! I’m relieved the Libra is a little brother to the Forma rather than an updated Forma; that reduces the tech-envy!
Boneist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2019, 11:11 AM   #33
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
Thanks - It's not visible in the video review, at least, unless they're talking about the shadow cast from the raised bezel.
I can never decide about the raised bezel. It's makes it easier to know where the screen starts. But, the flush screen looks better.
Quote:
@davidfor: You got me it did seem weird that they'd removed options instead of adding new ones. I love the new progress bar though!
And while it isn't that obvious in the reviews, the header shows the current chapter with progress (page, percent, time left) and the footer shows the book title with the full book progress. Or you can turn either of them and the progress bar off.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:16 AM   #34
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
The smaller screen size makes me lean toward the Aura One (which I already have) or the Forma (which I'm considering buying).

Hopefully the prior models (A1 and Forma) will still be available in a couple of months.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:18 AM   #35
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
The smaller screen size makes me lean toward the Aura One (which I already have) or the Forma (which I'm considering buying).

Hopefully the prior models (A1 and Forma) will still be available in a couple of months.
The Forma likely won’t go away with this device being sold. The Libra is clearly the budget friendly version of the Forma not a successor in the premium line
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2019, 11:22 AM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I believe the Aura ONE has already been discontinued. I don't think the Forma is going away. I think Kobo will settle down to the Clara HD, Libra H2O and Forma. I think this might be the end of the "Aura" name.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:29 AM   #37
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It's already up on the Kobo AU site. Listed at $249 which is $10 more that the Aura H2O was. Pre-order from September 10th.

Now, the Libra or the Forma? I liked the Forma before my wife saw it. But, the smaller size might be better. Do you think she'd notice if I came back with both?
Get the white libra, tell her it’s an upgraded Forma and liberate your Forma from the perpetual borrowed state she has it in.*

*I am not responsible for the ramifications of following this advice
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #38
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Maybe it's risky, but the KA1 is still "findable" in various places online through non-standard purveyors.

But there probably is no reason to opt for a KA1 versus the Forma.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #39
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Get the white libra, tell her it’s an upgraded Forma and liberate your Forma from the perpetual borrowed state she has it in.*
The problem with that is that she might decide the Libra is just the right size for her handbag. And the Forma is great for around the house.
Quote:
*I am not responsible for the ramifications of following this advice
Not even going to think about it.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:42 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Product page is up at UK Kobo store, but not linked to from "Ereaders" menu yet.

£149, pre-order Sept 10.
I cannot justify an new Reader at 7" since my H20 at 6.8" is still working very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:32 PM   #41
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I cannot justify an new Reader at 7" since my H20 at 6.8" is still working very well.
same here , except my 6.8" is an Aura HD.
I'd like to see comparisons between these older 6.8" and the new 7 inch though , in case there's anything there that may tempt me more than getting an extra 0.2"
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:30 PM   #42
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I have to say props to Kobo for releasing a baby Forma for a 100 bucks less. A smaller, recessed screen and 8GB instead of 32GB, thats not a big trade-off compared to the price difference.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #43
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Phew, my stomach dropped when I saw the thumbnail and the price right after ordering a Forma but it sounds like the Forma is still king, recessed screens picking up dust drives me mad and I wanted the biggest reader I could get anyway.
Same! I just ordered one last night. The recessed screen on my old Kobo would always pick up dust, so I'm happy now that I ordered the Forma. My husband is getting my Aura HD, which is still fantastic.

Last edited by Latinandgreek; 09-04-2019 at 04:46 PM.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:55 PM   #44
ec1matt
Enthusiast
ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ec1matt has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Paperwhite 2013, Sony PRS-505(RIP)
Couple of weeks ago I visited John Lewis Oxford Street to look at the Forma and the Oasis as potential replacements for my 2013 Paperwhite.

The Oasis seemed like the logical choice, but next to the Forma, a 7” screen seemed a half measure compared to the 8” screen of the Forma.

Nonetheless, when I saw pics of the Libra H2O on Instagram today and saw it was a mini Forma, my interest was piqued until I found out about the non-flush screen. That’s a dealbreaker for me if I’m upgrading, so I guess the Forma it is.
ec1matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:00 PM   #45
Nirekeyaki
Nirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enoughNirekeyaki will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Libra 2 - Clara HD
A little gradient in this picture, but I think it's not too much.

https://www.todoereaders.com/probamo...permeable.html

Last edited by Nirekeyaki; 09-04-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Nirekeyaki is offline   Reply With Quote