Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-20-2019, 03:15 AM   #16
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
I think it was Washington State that had a ballot measure to defund all public libraries, on the grounds that Amazon is available to everybody, and has all of the books one wishes to read.
There was a ballot measure? I know there was a terrible article on Forbes advocating this, but it was very thoroughly panned and they took it down.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...lic-libra.html

There was this recent measure to fund Seattle libraries, which passed easily. I suppose you could squint and call it a measure to defund libraries, if people had unexpectedly voted no? https://ballotpedia.org/Seattle,_Was...x_(August_2019)

Or was there another measure I can't find? I'm not super accomplished at searching for ballot measures.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:47 AM   #17
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
And remember when it was a given that if you were talking the librarian would shush you? Now days it seems people make all the noise they want regardless of the idea of courtesy.
I have several friends who are librarians, including one locally who looks after our local library's Teen/YA activities, and all are big fans of the modern approach, as opposed to the medieval approach. In our library, and in most of the libraries I've visited in my country, there is plenty of room for peaceful reading, and serious study, AND for kids and others to engage with reading and literacy in an active and vigorous manner that helps them enjoy being in a library while minimising the risk that they might think it's a tomb.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2019, 03:52 AM   #18
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
There was a ballot measure?
Not in the almost 20 years I have lived here, at least not statewide. Local property tax issues are voted on every couple of years but that isn't unique to libraries. Library funding in Washington is decided on a local basis by local voters - city, county or special district. Some pass, some don't; there are election cycles where voters have to choose among competing needs that are funded by property taxes. Typically fire protection, emergency medical services (ambulance/paramedic), law enforcement, special-purpose districts and, of course, schools can be on a local ballot for any given year. All of these combined can add up to property tax levels that make life difficult for many people. I see that in my own county where average income is nowhere near levels seen in the Seattle area.

Wally
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:08 AM   #19
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
There was a time in my teens when we were way outside of town and I'd ride my bike an hour in mostly downhill and an hour and half back mostly uphill to go to the library. My town wasn't much bigger than Lee's, but they kept the library open for generations before I got there and my nieces, nephews and little cousins still use it today.

I still keep a library card where I live now, just for Overdrive, Hoopla, Kongregate, etc. The first computer I ever owned, I went to my local library to order it online.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:04 AM   #20
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
There was a time in my teens when we were way outside of town and I'd ride my bike an hour in mostly downhill and an hour and half back mostly uphill to go to the library. My town wasn't much bigger than Lee's, but they kept the library open for generations before I got there and my nieces, nephews and little cousins still use it today.

I still keep a library card where I live now, just for Overdrive, Hoopla, Kongregate, etc. The first computer I ever owned, I went to my local library to order it online.
You need to get with the program! It was an hour and a half, up hill both ways!

I was telling one of my students (she was around 11 at the time) about how rough I had it when I was a kid, walking to school a mile and a half, up hill both ways, in 100 degree weather and a foot of snow! She was totally buying it up until the foot of snow, then she say "wait a minute"
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #21
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
in 100 degree weather and a foot of snow! She was totally buying it up until the foot of snow, then she say "wait a minute"
One word would've saved it - "Kelvin"
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I was telling one of my students (she was around 11 at the time) about how rough I had it when I was a kid, walking to school a mile and a half, up hill both ways, in 100 degree weather and a foot of snow! She was totally buying it up until the foot of snow, then she say "wait a minute"
Hmm... I remember walking to school when the temperature was -30°C and there were snowdrifts to the roofs of two story buildings. This while I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts. I will admit it was downhill all the way to school and uphill all the way home. The joys of living within spitting distance of the Arctic circle.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:37 PM   #23
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
I'm surprised to find so many readers here who no longer use their libraries, or don't have good access. Although I love using my e-reader, I still get books at my local library every few weeks. When something new comes out that i want, i'll reserve both the print (including LP for me now) and the epub from Overdrive and then see which one becomes available first.

I remember as a child going to the library with my mom about every 2 weeks to check out books. The library limited you to 2-3 books at a time, which of course I went through quickly. I think our school library allowed only 1 out at a time. Once I was old enough to earn money babysitting, most of my cash went to buying paperbacks at the mall or the used bookstore. I continued buying books in college (when I had time to read) and as an adult, until I finally tried a library again around the time I started having kids.

Wow, I was shocked to find out you could now take out dozens of books at a time, and I sure did! Each week I'd take my preschoolers and elem age kids to the library, conveniently a mile from our house and load up a huge bag - 40-50 books at a time for all of us. I started having to use a spreadsheet to keep track of them so I wouldn't get overdue fines LOL. Now my youngest has just gone off to college but I still get to the library for myself quite often.

I only tend to buy books, whether print or digital, if they are ones I definitely know I'll want to read over and over, or I can't get them any other way. Most of what is on my ereader are either freebies, public domain, or some of those frequently read books (LOTR, etc)

I'm glad to have a decent library nearby and will always continue to support it.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:46 PM   #24
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
I'm glad to have a decent library nearby and will always continue to support it.
Same. I'm at my library every week, having gotten back in the habit when my now-teenager was a voracious picture book consumer. It's an amazing community resource and my local is always bustling with book-borrowers, internet users, storytime, school holiday programmes, and community events and gatherings.

We don't get a choice about library funding. It's considered an essential LGA service, like rubbish pickup and local sports clubs/parks, and as far as I know no councillor has ever considered trying to get rid of it. Tweaks around the edges, sure, but defunding is a non-starter.

Last edited by meeera; 09-22-2019 at 10:49 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:59 AM   #25
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
I'm surprised to find so many readers here who no longer use their libraries, or don't have good access.
I no longer need the library as I can afford my own books. I just buy them. I never have to return them. I have unlimited time to get around to reading them. I can always get and read the exact book I want.

I still have fond memories for the many years libraries played a significant and positive role in my life. I just don't need them anymore (particularly not that my kids are also grown)
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #26
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
There was a ballot measure?
Or was there another measure I can't find? I'm not super accomplished at searching for ballot measures.
It would be listed on a page linked to
https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/ini...tatistics.aspx.
I've searched about twenty years, to no avail.

The only reason I know about it, is because of a poster in the library.
Today, you'd call that poster an infographic. It broke down numbers related to libraries, and library usage.
The librarians were concerned about that measure, because similar proposals had been made across the US, albeit none reached the voters.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:26 PM   #27
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I no longer need the library as I can afford my own books. I just buy them. I never have to return them. I have unlimited time to get around to reading them. I can always get and read the exact book I want.

I still have fond memories for the many years libraries played a significant and positive role in my life. I just don't need them anymore (particularly not that my kids are also grown)
Pretty much the same here. Lived in the library as a kid (hey, it had air conditioning! Something my parents didn't get until after I moved out. Very important growing up in Georgia) I've only been a few times as an adult. I buy my own books and have them available to me any time I want them. I'm a collector/hoarder. I have my collection of paper books/eBooks/audiobooks, my collection of DVD's/digital movies, my collection of music. All mine, mine I tell you! (que Mad Scientist laugh)
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:39 AM   #28
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I still use my local library on a pretty regular basis -- often to read books that are subject to (IMHO) ridiculous pricing strategies by the publisher. I cannot justify buying an ebook in the 10 to 20 dollar (US) range.

Here in NJ library funding is governed by state laws, and that makes it very attractive for local libraries to join county library systems. It's a lot more efficient, and more convenient for patrons (like me).
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:35 PM   #29
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
The county library system here has been renovating local branches. Also saw the local news that the library is doing "library of things" for people to borrow like a weed eater, if available. All one needs is a library card as there is no charge for the borrowing of the items.

Libraries are evolving & is easier in metro areas. Was finally able to renew my card online & not need to be done in person. I do wonder if the Friends of the Library book sales are still going strong.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:03 AM   #30
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
The county library system here has been renovating local branches. Also saw the local news that the library is doing "library of things" for people to borrow like a weed eater, if available. All one needs is a library card as there is no charge for the borrowing of the items.

Libraries are evolving & is easier in metro areas. Was finally able to renew my card online & not need to be done in person. I do wonder if the Friends of the Library book sales are still going strong.
They are here. We have one coming up. The sale typically lasts three or four days, and on the first day the library charges for access. This is very popular with dealers and collectors.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote