Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #286
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfrog View Post
Can anyone comment on the buttons on the new Oasis? The buttons on the Oasis 2 made an audible click, which is fine on a plane but not in a quiet room. Is there any difference with the Oasis 3?
The buttons on the Oasis 3 are slightly stiffer and more clicky than on the Oasis 2. The difference however is very subtle. As far as sound, I would say they are about the same; it's more of a difference in feel.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:17 PM   #287
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfrog View Post
Can anyone comment on the buttons on the new Oasis? The buttons on the Oasis 2 made an audible click, which is fine on a plane but not in a quiet room. Is there any difference with the Oasis 3?
There is no audible click on my new Oasis.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #288
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
The buttons on my Oasis2 were very clicky sounding. No matter where I pressed down. It did bother my spouse in the bedroom when it was quiet. Meaning no AC running. Click click click.....

My Oasis3 is not as clicky. I can still hear it, but my spouse cannot. I also get even less sound when I hit it on the edge. I would assume that the buttons are like the screens are. Variable to some degree. But they do still "click", even if more silent. I think I prefer softer ones.

I still mourn the lovely buttons on the edge of the K3 and older basic. Those were pure joy to use. Still are I guess. My O1 button are also lovely. Much softer and no clicky. I wish the O3 had those, although at least for me its an improvement from O2 to O3.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:48 PM   #289
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
So, I would not have thought my O2 had any clicking. But I checked it out and now I know to look, or listen for it I can hear it. It is very faint but it is there. My wife would never hear it so I am good on that front.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #290
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Just logged on to say my buttons are much quieter on my Oasis 3 than my Oasis 2. If I press at the top of the button, there is no noise whatsoever - clicking in the middle or bottom gives a small clicking sound.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #291
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Just logged on to say my buttons are much quieter on my Oasis 3 than my Oasis 2. If I press at the top of the button, there is no noise whatsoever - clicking in the middle or bottom gives a small clicking sound.
I am jealous. My Oasis 2 and 3 both have a slight audible click. If I am careful and just press the the very top part of the button the sound is muted enough that I don't get any negative feedback from my wife when I read at night.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:19 AM   #292
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I'd like to pick up an Oasis 3 at some point, but I'd rather buy it later, when the next generation brings down the price of the defining feature I want (the warm light, which on my Clara HD is more conducive to rest than the blue-only iteration).

What worries me is the inaccessible glued battery, and the possibility of lost battery time on Oases that were manufactured the year before, rendering the discount less practical. Is the life of the device decreased by dormant battery degradation time?

In other words, will an Oasis 3 lose battery life if bought a year after the product release and no additional Oases have been manufactured since that date? Or does the degradation of the battery not work that way?
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #293
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I'd like to pick up an Oasis 3 at some point, but I'd rather buy it later, when the next generation brings down the price of the defining feature I want (the warm light, which on my Clara HD is more conducive to rest than the blue-only iteration).

What worries me is the inaccessible glued battery, and the possibility of lost battery time on Oases that were manufactured the year before, rendering the discount less practical. Is the life of the device decreased by dormant battery degradation time?

In other words, will an Oasis 3 lose battery life if bought a year after the product release and no additional Oases have been manufactured since that date? Or does the degradation of the battery not work that way?
I can only offer some basic facts, since a precise answer is impossible:

1. Batteries do degrade over time, whether used or not. Thus, if you bought an unit a year from now that was built today, then yes the battery will have lost some of its lifespan (how much will depend on how it was stored, along with the quality of the individual battery).

2. Amazon does not produce its entire production run for the year at once. If you buy a unit a year from now, most likely that unit will be considerably less than a year old, though no one will tell you exactly when it was made until you receive it, even less when the battery was made.

3. If you buy an Oasis 3 today, it also may have be several months since it was manufactured. I am sure the earliest units were being assembled well before the official release date. In any case, you are unlikly to get one straight off the assembly line.

Last edited by Avwriter; 09-15-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #294
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Delays were surprisingly tight for at least the initial rush of Oasis 3 shipments .

(The manufacturing date is encoded in the S/N).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #295
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post

1. Batteries do degrade over time, whether used or not. Thus, if you bought an unit a year from now that was built today, then yes the battery will have lost some of its lifespan (how much will depend on how it was stored, along with the quality of the individual battery).

2. Amazon does not produce its entire production run for the year at once. If you buy a unit a year from now, most likely that unit will be considerably less than a year old, though no one will tell you exactly when it was made, or more precisely, when the battery was made.

3. If you buy an Oasis 3 today, it also may have be several months since it was manufactured. I am sure the earliest units were being assembled well before the official release date. In any case, you are unlikly to get one straight off the assembly line.
I bought my Voyage in April 2016, a year and a half after the model was released (October 2014). According to the serial number, my device was manufactured in August 2015. So it was about 8 months old when I got it.

Last edited by Sirtel; 09-15-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #296
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by azt33 View Post
How is the O3 holding up after some time of use? I still use mine mainly in the house, because I am hesitant for getting any scratches on the back. This was never a problem with the Voyage due to the back cover material (which I really love!), but I seem to be more sensitive with the O3...
I got this leather sticker/decal to be able to grip the O3 better but it will also protect it from scratches: Kindle Oasis 2 Leather Back Stickers case Cover for Kindle for Kindle Oasis 7 Inch 2017 Release (Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGD96VW..._zLQFDbMWJ8ZDV

I keep my Kindle in a felt sleeve to protect it when not in use. But like you, I use mine mostly at home because I'm paranoid about dropping it. When I'm on the go, I read either on my Kobo Mini or phone.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #297
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^ There are two reviews. Prospective buyers should read BOTH reviews and then make a decision.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:00 PM   #298
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Thanks for the useful info and feedback on battery life and production dates, Avwriter, NiLuJe and Sirtel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post

2. Amazon does not produce its entire production run for the year at once. If you buy a unit a year from now, most likely that unit will be considerably less than a year old, though no one will tell you exactly when it was made until you receive it, even less when the battery was made.

Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #299
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Delays were surprisingly tight for at least the initial rush of Oasis 3 shipments .

(The manufacturing date is encoded in the S/N).
Curious how one decodes the S/N to determine date?
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #300
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@TheSmitty: c.f., this thread

(The first few offsets (device ID/factory) are not quite right on newer devices, but the tail end of it seems to have held up).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote