Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
moofychops
Connoisseur
moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Now Have Aura One and ClaraHD
OfferedTouch at good price

Hi,
I have been offered a Kobo Touch as new at a good price. Is it still worth using as an ereader, or is it too old hat nowadays, bearing in mind the low price.
thanks
moofychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Still using my Touch. Works great for its intended purpose. Doesn't stop me from coveting an Aura HD but if it's a good price, I say go for it.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #3
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
moofychops, could you be more precise about the price; are you under a NDA?

I'm kidding, but the price here is the big factor.

The touch is an usuable ereader, particularly if you don't care about the new functionalities of more recent devices, like a better screen (resolution or glow capability).

By the way, I have set my Touch to firmware 2.8.1 and it will be just this one for the seeable future as it is stable.

Last edited by Arios; 01-14-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
In Canada, at Christmas, they were on sale many places for $49. At that price, they're a bargain; one of my nieces got one and is thrilled with it. It's a very good device. If you're paying much more than that, have a look at least at a Kobo with a light (in ascending order of price: Glo, Aura, Aura HD).
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:55 AM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
3 versions of Kobo Touch. Mine is Model 905 which is oldest. Newer model number will end with B or C the newest model. Model number is on bottom of reader. Model B and C have removable internal SD card for internal memory. I am using newest Kobo Touch firmware Version 3.0.1. Updated firmware last week over wifi. It has new home screen.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2014, 01:37 AM   #6
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I got lucky and paid a whopping $40 for my lightly used Touch on eBay when I was looking for more features a couple of years ago. Honestly, the only reason I bought the Glo last January was for the front lighting. My LVR is lit like a cave, my preference, and I find I like the increased contrast when reading while the HDTV is sqawking away and I'd had enough of buying batteries for my reading lights. Eventually, I realized the money I was spending on batteries was better invested in a Glo.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #7
moofychops
Connoisseur
moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.moofychops for a long time would go to bed early.

Hi All,
Went mad and bought the Touch for 21 UK pounds and the Glo for 41 Pounds, could not resist as I have no will power when it comes to gadgets etc hi hi. I already have the |Kobo Aura HD, so don't have an excuse for buying these as well.
Thanks for all your input.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Now, you just need a Kobo Mini to complete your set!

I actually have TWO Mini units -- I love them. The screen seems exceptionally crisp on them, and they're very comfortable to hold.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:59 AM   #9
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
And also an Aura

Quote:
I actually have TWO Mini units -- I love them. The screen seems exceptionally crisp on them, and they're very comfortable to hold.
That's so true!
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:08 AM   #10
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Two minis... Is that in stereo? Having enquired, I am now attempting to wrap my head around the idea of 4 minis in quad.(though I am forced to conclude that would really be more like wrapping 4 minis around my head...)
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #11
moofychops
Connoisseur

Hi,
Both the Touch and the Glo have arrived. Whilst the Touch will work well in the daylight, the Glo is far better because of the built in light. Seems to work as good as the Aura except for the screen size.
Certainly both are keepers and well worth the money.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
Bookworm2013
Bookworm2013 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Just bought the Touch from W H Smiths for £29.95. It's the 905B model.
Bookworm2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:

So true. Everytime I start thinking, maybe I don't need the Mini, I pull it out and read on it. It is pleasure to the eyes!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #14
moofychops
Connoisseur

Got to get me one of these Mini Kobo readers to play with
Old 01-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #15
moofychops
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm2013 View Post
Just bought the Touch from W H Smiths for £29.95. It's the 905B model.
Gosh I pain £35 and thought it was a bargain. lol