Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Beyond The Book books?

I'm looking for Kobo books that have Beyond The Book features enabled. Preferably one that's available for free and without DRM in Canada, but I'm open to taking a vacation to warmer and sunnier countries if necessary

I'm also willing to pay for such a book, but I have rather narrow interests in epic fantasy (and yet I have a massive TBR list!) and I'm not interested in paying more than I think is fair for a book (which of course varies depending on the author and the book and the square of the natual log of the cube of the number of arc seconds between Saturn and Io from a vantage point one-half AU above L3... ).

And the reason I'm here looking for books that have Beyond The Book enabled? Because Kobo, in their efforts to make their web site more useful to users, completely removed their format listings and decided not to note which books have Beyond The Book features!
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #2
CaffeBreak
Enthusiast
CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.

Device: Aura - Aura HD - Mini
The only one I've heard of so far is The Hobbit. There must be more. I haven't found them yet.
CaffeBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
nod; I also think that the Lord of the Rings is enabled.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Seek and ye shall find! Sorry, could not resist.
Free, DRM Free, and Beyond the Book enabled, well, there are only a few that I know of from the top of my head (I think all of them have BTB in them, I know Alice certainly does, cannot recall which one, hence two listings)
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-CA/ebo...-wonderland-19
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-CA/ebo...-wonderland-20
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-CA/ebook/dracula-39
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-CA/ebo...d-prejudice-28
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-CA/ebook/frankenstein-25
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-CA/ebo...-fairy-tales-2

Those above are free, so try them, won't cost you nothin'

As for paid books, I know Dan Brown's Inferno has BTB in it: http://store.kobobooks.com/en-CA/ebook/inferno-20

An edition of Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince also has BTB enabled too. Sorry, don't have the link to it to hand.

As Peter states, one edition of Lord Of The Rings has BTB, and also one edition of The Hobbit also does too. Again I don't have the links to hand.

There are a fair number of other books with the functionality, but I don't have a complete list to hand.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Looking at my books using the following query:

Quote:
SELECT c.attribution, c.title
FROM content c JOIN Keywords k on c.contentID = k.BookId JOIN Stack s ON k.StackId = s.StackId
group by c.attribution, c.title
I have:

"Alan Dean Foster","The Moment of the Magician"
"David Wright,Sean Platt","Yesterday's Gone: Season Two (Episodes 7-12)"
"Gregory Benford","Great Sky River"
"Jim Butcher","Changes"
"Jim Butcher","Small Favour"
"Jim Butcher","Turn Coat"
"Orson Scott Card","Shadows in Flight"
"Suzanne Collins","Catching Fire"
"Suzanne Collins","Mockingjay"
"Suzanne Collins","The Hunger Games"

The only one I have read as a kepub since the BtB came in was "Catching Fire". I noticed the links but they weren't very useful. And at least one was wrong.

Note: The Stack table isn't really needed for the above query. I had written it for something else and left it in to show the relationships in case someone wants to look into it a bit more.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #6
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately it looks like there's no way for me to add Beyond The Book to the extended driver, but I guess I can't win 'em all
Old 01-14-2014, 12:45 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I couldn't resist.

As I have just started reading "Changes", I converted the epub to kepub and sent it. After it was processed into the device database, I did some playing.

The first attempt was to change the BookId for the Keyword row with Type=Authors. I changed the BookId to the contentId for the sideloaded kepub. When I disconnected and opened the book, it had the BtB icon. Opening that showed the author details.

I then changed the rows with type="BookKeywords". These also dislpayed in the book.

Lastly, I tried the "ChapterKeywords". I assume these are what marks the words or phrases in the books. Unfortunately, I had reformatted the book a little. This included renaming the chapter file names. That meant I had to change the BookId an ChapterId for the rows. I only changed it for one chapter. Nothing showed up. But, reading the original kepub, I can't see any words marked either. I'll have to try a different book. I know "Catching Fire" had them.

With that brief play, it might be possible to add some BtB data. But, is it worth it?

Sharkus: If you happen to see the person who did the database work for this, could you please give them a slap from me. There is no primary key on the table. And looking at the data, there are multiple copies of each row in the database. I think a slap is deserved.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:06 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I couldn't resist - Part 2.

Of course, after writing the above, I wondered if the the BtB would work for an epub. Making the same sort of changes as I did for the sideloaded kepub worked. The author and book keywords seem to work, but I'm not sure about the chapter ones. I think I need to try a different book to prove this one way or another.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:53 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I couldn't resist - Part 3. No one is really surprised are they?

Using the second of the the links from Sharkus, it appears sideloaded kepubs will show the BtB links, but epubs don't. I did the same thing as I described above. Sideloaded the epub version and changed the BookId in the Keywords table to the contentId of the book. The BtB info was displayed in the popup, but the text didn't show any links.

Then I converted the epub to kepub, sideloaded it and changed the BookId again. This time, it all worked.

Of course, this doesn't prove I could create the correct data manually or via a program. But, I think it should work. Of course, whether it is worth doing is another matter. The big thing for something like this is generating useful information in the first place.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:11 AM   #10
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Not worth it if I have to set the keywords myself The real value of BtB seems to me to be the scattered links throughout the chapters. Although, every time I tried any one in Pride & Prejudice I got a message that there was an internal server error
Old 01-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I think creating the data is the problem. The "Stacks" table holds the info that is displayed. The "Keywords" table is the cross reference between the book and the Stack.

The author keyword is just some text and a reference to an image. The book wide ones seem to be basically the same. But there is a value in the Keyword column.

For the word links, they appear to work via a search term. The value in the Keywords column of the Keywords table the search term. It appears to search for the term in the chapter and marks the first match with a link. I have just changed the keywords used as a test for this and it worked.

From my little bit of playing, it appears to be possible to add the BtB info for sideloaded kepubs. But, creating the info would be the problem.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

One more problem too. In Pride & Prejudice one of the search terms is a name. That name was highlighted every occurrence in Chapter 1, not at all in Chapter 2, and sometimes highlighted and sometimes not in Chapter 3. Seems like it's not always finding the search terms; unless maybe the terms are per-chapter, but that still doesn't explain Chapter 3.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I had a look at the version of "Pride & Prejudice" that Sharkus pointed to. At least part of the problem is that chapter 2 only has one keyword. In chapter one, I only saw the first occurrence of the main names with the underlines.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

And just to document this while it is fresh in my mind and get it all in one post.

The BtB information is in two tables:

"Stacks" holds the information displayed. There is one row for each piece of data. The information is a title and the descriptive text. There is also an id for an image. The image id is a GUID. If it is zero, there is no image. The images are stored on the device unde ".kobo/stacks".

"Keywords" is the link between the books and the Stacks. It has the BookId (contentId in table content) and and the Stack id. Plus an option chapter id. The other columns used are "Type" and "Keywords".

"Type" is how the Stack and the Keywords column is used and if the ChapterId is needed. I can see three types:
  • Authors - The Stack for this is a description of the author. The ChapterId is not used and as far as I can tell the Keywords column is not used. If there is an "Authors" row, when the BtB button is pressed, there is an "Author" button displayed.
  • BookKeywords - These appear to be for the whole book. The ChapterId is not used and but tell Keywords column has a value. But, as far as I can tell, this is not used. I think that the links displayed when the BtB popup is displayed come from these.
  • ChapterKeywords - These appear to be for a single chapter. The ChapterId has the internal path for the file that contains the chapter. The Keywords column contains a search string. The first match for the search string in the chapter is marked as a link to display the Stack information. The value looks like
  • Code:
    [ "the White Rabbit" ]
    . Changing that value changes what is selected in the chapter. The same Stack can be used for different words by adding rows with different values in the Keywords column. But, it appears the search term is a list. I changed one to
    Code:
    [ "Mr. Bingley", "the" ]
    and the first occurrence of both terms was underlined.

The BtB info appears to be downloaded when a book is downloaded. If you mess around with it like I have, and want to revert to the good info, remove the book from the reader and then download it again.

There is also a stack tile. Pressing this will show the last BtB info that was viewed. If there is an image associated with the stack, that will be shown in the tile.

That's what I have learnt with a few hours of playing. Hopefully I haven't gotten anything to wrong. If anyone does find errors, please correct them. And if anyone does try to add BtB info, I'll be happy to help, but I can't say I am interested enough to start doing it myself.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #15
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
< sits down and looks amazed at what people start delving into >

I'm not too sure what I can / cannot say about how BTB works, so I may be a little coy, I do actually like my current employment status

One thing I will mention about the key terms is that the first occurrence of that term might not be the one that is underlined (if the device / app supports that functionality), I believe there is something server side, when the BTB data is generated that determines what will appear as a key term.

You are correct that the BTB data is downloaded when a book is download, or at least that's the case on iOS
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote