Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Can a sample be used as a primary dictionary?

I would like to purchase a French - English dictionary to use as the primary dictionary for my Kindle 3. I've downloaded a few sample dictionaries, but I find I can't set any of them as the primary dictionary.

In each case, the product descriptions in the Kindle store explicitly says that the dictionary can be used as a primary dictionary. But when I go to relevant page within Settings, none of the dictionaries show up.

Can I assume that this is because the products in question are samples? Is it not possible to set a sample as the primary dictionary? (I would only want to do this temporarily, of course, in order to evaluate the product. I appreciate that a sample wouldn't be much good for day-to-day use.)

I'd be grateful for any advice or insights.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
AFAIK, the Kindle sample format doesn't support dictionaries. If you download a dictionary sample, it'll be saved as a regular ebook without dictionary functionality.
You can check whether a book can be used as system dictionary by opening it with Java Mobi Metadata Editor. If you open a dictionary with it and click the Language button, you should see three non-zero language code values, while regular books have only one. (I.e. the dictionary input and output language fields have a zero value.)

Last edited by Doitsu; 11-06-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that, Doitsu. You've confirmed what I suspected.

It's not a big problem. These dictionaries are so cheap that I don't mind buying a couple of them on spec, in the hope that one or other will meet my requirements.

A quick follow-up questions:

It seems as if the Kindle for PC application doesn't have a way of choosing the default dictionary. You are stuck with the one built into the program. If there is a way of changing it, I can't see how.

Can anyone confirm that? (This has got nothing to do with whether you can use a sample as a dictionary. It's a separate issue.)

Mike
Old 11-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
It seems as if the Kindle for PC application doesn't have a way of choosing the default dictionary.
Unfortunately, that's correct. If you want to use your own dictionary with a Kiindle app, you'll have to modify its ASIN number in order to outsmart the Kindle app.

For example, if you buy a French-English dictionary and want to use it with any of the Kindle apps, you'll have to delete the default French dictionary and change the ASIN number of your dictionary with JMME to B005F12G6U (the ASIN number of the default French dictionary).
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard

Quote:
If you want to use your own dictionary with a Kiindle app, you'll have to modify its ASIN number in order to outsmart the Kindle app.
That doesn't sound too bad. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Mike
Advert