Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 06-26-2017, 06:40 AM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Are you sure? I thought it was the Amazon excepting SNAP thread that drifted out to sea.
Yes, I'm sure, you miss the point entirely.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:39 PM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Yes, I'm sure, you miss the point entirely.
I got your point, but I so couldn't resist. Now for the entailing recipe.
You need to marinate your kittens with cooking wine, dip then in cage free eggs from Whole Foods and then roll them some organic flour bought at Amazon, then use the deep fryer and canola oil you bought from Walmart.
Oh SNAP, you don't cook the kittens, you use chicken and feed the finished product to the kittens.

Off topic enough for you.
Oh and both those threads did really go out to sea.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:44 AM   #18
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
It completely depends on the thread, and on the stage of the thread. If it is an ongoing working thread on say a particular firmware version or something, there should be less offtopic drift; same if it's someone actively troubleshooting and currently receiving help. If it's a less current/focused thread and it's more or less run its useful course, drift can be interesting and fun.
Very much this. Sometimes, after the main agenda is over, people keep chatting just like they do after any in-person meeting. It seems to me that, most of the time, drift only starts after starting topic has been played out. As long as the OP, or participating members, are not finding the drift objectionable then I don't have a problem with it. If the drift doesn't suit me I move on.

Like all imperfect systems, there can be times when thread drift means that some late post arrives on-topic and almost seems out of place, and it risks getting lost amid the general banter. (Like that guy from the meeting who always wants to rehash everything when all everyone else wants to do is wander back to their desks ). This can also make it hard to catch up on relevant posts when you come late to the party. But I haven't noticed this to be a major problem here - maybe that's just because I've usually moved on already.

In general, I like the way threads are managed here. P&R, overt advertising and spam are all trodden on pretty quickly, but most of the rest seems to be left up to the participants to decide if there's a problem. It seems to work pretty smoothly, although I don't have any idea how much work the moderators face to make it seem this way.

Oh, and I don't like kittens all that much.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #19
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I view threads as written conversations.

IRL I've never heard people complain overly much that the conversation is no longer specifically about the original topic and insist that no other topic be discussed so why should it be any different in a forum thread?

As another poster mentioned, either politely revive the original topic or accept that others aren't interested in that topic anymore and move on.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #20
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
And a pet peeve...

Don't start a post with "I know this is off topic ", continue the post by going off topic, and than end the post with "now let's get back on topic."
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:58 AM   #21
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And a pet peeve...

Don't start a post with "I know this is off topic ", continue the post by going off topic, and than end the post with "now let's get back on topic."
I know this is off topic

But come on, admit it. You were expecting a reaction like this one, weren't you.

now let's get back on topic
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:52 PM   #22
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
This place would be less interesting without the thread drifts.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:41 PM   #23
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Let the kitties drift for a while before you cook them in wine.

doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:14 PM   #24
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The moderating team would be very interested in hearing other people's views on this.
I find it mildly annoying. I'll follow some interesting thread in News or General Discussions, and after a while it drifts off to chatting about music or food or childhood memories, but I'll keep clicking on the thread when I see there are new posts, in case someone has something more to say about the original topic.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:42 AM   #25
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I agree with these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
It completely depends on the thread, and on the stage of the thread. If it is an ongoing working thread on say a particular firmware version or something, there should be less offtopic drift; same if it's someone actively troubleshooting and currently receiving help. If it's a less current/focused thread and it's more or less run its useful course, drift can be interesting and fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Very much this. Sometimes, after the main agenda is over, people keep chatting just like they do after any in-person meeting. It seems to me that, most of the time, drift only starts after starting topic has been played out. As long as the OP, or participating members, are not finding the drift objectionable then I don't have a problem with it. If the drift doesn't suit me I move on.

Like all imperfect systems, there can be times when thread drift means that some late post arrives on-topic and almost seems out of place, and it risks getting lost amid the general banter. (Like that guy from the meeting who always wants to rehash everything when all everyone else wants to do is wander back to their desks ). This can also make it hard to catch up on relevant posts when you come late to the party. But I haven't noticed this to be a major problem here - maybe that's just because I've usually moved on already.

In general, I like the way threads are managed here. P&R, overt advertising and spam are all trodden on pretty quickly, but most of the rest seems to be left up to the participants to decide if there's a problem. It seems to work pretty smoothly, although I don't have any idea how much work the moderators face to make it seem this way.

Oh, and I don't like kittens all that much.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote