Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
StuMcBill
Enthusiast
StuMcBill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Wi-Fi & 3G)
Can I return my Kindle to complete stock Firmware?

I currently have my Kindle Keyboard (3G & WiFi UK) running on 3.3, jailbroken (I think), and some custom screensavers running.

I have installed and uninstalled various jailbreaks over the past few months and I have stupidly lost track of which Jailbreak / screensaver hack I have installed?

Is there anyway I can return my Kindle Keyboard to complete stock, with original screensavers etc intact, so I can "start again", and keep track of what I am doing this time?

Either that, or is there anyway I can check which versions of Jailbreaks / screensaver hacks I have installed, and uninstall them manually?

Thanks

Stewart
StuMcBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If you've got some of my stuff installed in there, there should be a note about what's installed in:

linkjail/info.txt (jailbreak)
linkss/info.txt (screensavers)

(And in case you were wondering, no, a reset to factory defaults won't help, it'll just disable most of the hacks, not uninstall them).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
StuMcBill
Enthusiast
StuMcBill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Wi-Fi & 3G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
If you've got some of my stuff installed in there, there should be a note about what's installed in:

linkjail/info.txt (jailbreak)
linkss/info.txt (screensavers)

(And in case you were wondering, no, a reset to factory defaults won't help, it'll just disable most of the hacks, not uninstall them).
I do have your Screensaver hack (0.18.N), but I have yifanlu's Jailbreak I think as I have no linkjail folder. Is there any other way I can check the jailbreak status?

If I uninstall the screensavers, will they automatically revert to stock or do I need to do anything to the linkss folder?

Thanks for your help!

Stew
StuMcBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, uninstall the hack, then remove the linkss directory (or don't, if you plan to do a factory reset at some point, that'll take care of that), and you're good to go.

For yifanlu's jailbreak, I may be wrong, but there's a good chance the uninstallers from the latest version will handle your jb version just fine.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Luckily I posted my updates on here a while ago. If it weren't for the random post I'd made last year, I'd be in the same boat.

My computer died, and I lost all the update files. So I went to the post, downloaded them all again, and added a folder on my Kindle with all the uninstall files I need to restore my Kindle to the factory defaults. I figure this way I will always know what I have installed, and have the means to uninstall it should the need arise, or I lose another computer (touch silicon I don't).

I read on the forums about that technique, and I recommend it to everyone. It makes it easy for you to keep track of what you've got installed and gives you the means to uninstall the hacks, quickly and easily, at need.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanga View Post
... added a folder on my Kindle with all the uninstall files I need to restore my Kindle to the factory defaults. I figure this way I will always know what I have installed, and have the means to uninstall it should the need arise ...
Ooh... I like this idea. I am going to put my uninstallers in a folder on each of my kindles too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanga View Post
... (touch silicon I don't) ...
Sand is (mostly) Silicon Dioxide (and so is glass), so "touch silicon you do!" (in Yoda-speak)...

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-01-2011 at 09:31 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote