Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #166
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I just – finally – really realized what you were saying. So, on the Kobos, it's either the white LEDs or the orange ones, but never both?
No, no. The opposite. On Kobo, if the front light is on, the white LEDs are ALWAYS on. So when you go into the warmlight settings and max it out, all lights, white and orange are lit. What that means is that the orange light is washed out.

On the Nook, when using warm light settings, from 0% to about 75% the white lights are on and more and more orange is mixed in. But, once you cross about 75% warm lighting, the white LEDs fade off and then only orange LEDs are lit.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so I've attached two thousand words for you. The Clara is on the left and the Glowlight 3 is on the right. Lighting is different device to device, but in one I tried to get the two as equal as I could. On the other I maxed out the Nook's warm lighting. The difference is obvious. (Sorry for the slight fisheye. My Pixel is being weird).

Edit: after reading for the night, I tilted my Clara until I could see the glow from the LEDs at the bottom. At max orange, the white lights are off. So I'm not sure why the Nook has so much more range. The white lights do only seen to turn completely off when you are at our near 100% night mode though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200626_213341.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	476.5 KB
ID:	180227   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200626_213354.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	477.0 KB
ID:	180228  

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-27-2020 at 12:36 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:39 AM   #167
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
No, no. The opposite. On Kobo, if the front light is on, the white LEDs are ALWAYS on. So when you go into the warmlight settings and max it out, all lights, white and orange are lit. What that means is that the orange light is washed out.
Yeah. I finally figured it out by message #165 in this thread. Sorry for being so dense.

Quote:
On the Nook, when using warm light settings, from 0% to about 75% the white lights are on and more and more orange is mixed in. But, once you cross about 75% warm lighting, the white LEDs fade off and then only orange LEDs are lit.
The Tolinos and (judging by pictures) the PocketBooks work like the Nook. I think the hardware in the Clara is the same as in the Shine 3, yet the Shine 3 produces an oranger screen than the Tolino Vision 4 or Epos. So, it seems, the Clara's hardware should be capable of producing and un-faded screen. It almost has to be software. So Kobo must have chosen to do it this way... buy why?

Quote:
A picture is worth a thousand words, so I've attached two thousand words for you. The Clara is on the left and the Glowlight 3 is on the right. Lighting is different device to device, but in one I tried to get the two as equal as I could. On the other I maxed out the Nook's warm lighting. The difference is obvious. (Sorry for the slight fisheye. My Pixel is being weird.)
It is obvious. The picture on the right reminds me of my Tolinos (the ones with the Smart Light feature). Like the Nook Glowlight 3, the 6" Tolinos with Smart Lights have 13 LEDs, 7 show up as white and six show up as yellow/orange. The only difference is, the Tolinos' lights are at the bottom of the screen instead of at the top, like the Nook Glowlight 3.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2020, 12:45 AM   #168
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Edit: after reading for the night, I tilted my Clara until I could see the glow from the LEDs at the bottom. At max orange, the white lights are off. So I'm not sure why the Nook has so much more range. The white lights do only seen to turn completely off when you are at our near 100% night mode though.
Maybe they use a less warm white LED? I wish I could compare a Clara to a Shine 3. Now you've got me curious.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #169
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Are you sure of that for the later devices? The Aura ONE was like that. One set of LEDs that were mixed to give the right colour. And with developers mode on, there is an function to do this manually.

For the devices since, I thought they had two sets of LEDs as described by @rcentros. One set is white, the other is coloured. The colour is achieved by changing the relative brightness of the two sets of lights.
I just charged my Forma to check, and I think i could be wrong. (it's not clear)

I asked Kobo to confirm one way or the other.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:28 PM   #170
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Are there photos of the Nia yet?
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #171
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Are there photos of the Nia yet?
Yes. For a short while they were up on Staples Canada (link doesn't go anywhere anymore) but Nate the Great copied the pictures and posted them to his site at...

https://the-digital-reader.com/2020/...-page-2-clone/

Basically the Nia looks like a Clara and (except for the back case pattern and the logo on the lower bezel) exactly like a Tolino Page 2.

Last edited by rcentros; 06-27-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:49 PM   #172
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
This is correct about the Clara. Set max brightness; set the color halfway between day and night. Look straight down at the bottom bezel; you will be able to see the alternating white and orange LED lights.

My questions about the Nia:

1. If it's only $10 less than the Clara, and the Clara remains available, who would buy a Nia?

2. Once it's out of the box, powered off, how can we tell the Clara from the Nia? There's bound to be confusion with two models that are physically almost identical.

Last edited by Calenorn; 06-27-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #173
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
My questions about the Nia:

1. If it's only $10 less than the Clara, and the Clara remains available, who would buy a Nia?

2. Once it's out of the box, powered off, how can we tell the Clara from the Nia? There's bound to be confusion with two models that are physically almost identical.
I wouldn't buy the Nia if the Clara was only $10 more. But with the Aura Edition 2 (at least) the suggested retail price was also listed at $10 less than the Clara. But the actual retail price (at least in the U.S.) was often much, much lower. Walmart was often selling Aura 2s for $70 (and sometimes) for $50.

As for telling the difference... they are going to look a lot alike. The Nia is going to be a little wider, taller and thicker and slightly heavier. But, if you have both, you might want to get a different colored case for the Nia.

EDIT: Just looking over the pictures at Nate's site... it looks like the Nia may have a shiny black logo instead of the Clara's white logo. So, if the pictures are accurate, you might be able to tell the difference just by looking at them. (Maybe they did that on purpose?)

Last edited by rcentros; 06-27-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:39 PM   #174
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This is correct about the Clara. Set max brightness; set the color halfway between day and night. Look straight down at the bottom bezel; you will be able to see the alternating white and orange LED lights.
Right. Both the Glowlight 3 and Clara have the same setup. Both have seven white lights and six orange ones. But the 3 has much better warm lighting.

Since Kobo owns Tolino and Tolino's have better lighting than Kobos, it would be cool if they could update their readers.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:43 PM   #175
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Yes. For a short while they were up on Staples Canada (link doesn't go anywhere anymore) but Nate the Great copied the pictures and posted them to his site at...

https://the-digital-reader.com/2020/...-page-2-clone/

Basically the Nia looks like a Clara and (except for the back case pattern and the logo on the lower bezel) exactly like a Tolino Page 2.
Disappointing. I will stick with my Clara which looks the same or Nicer and my Libra.

I may buy a forma. I am tempted. Always wanted an 8 inch other than my 7.8"nook now I do like my nook. I just like the form of the forma. I think its just way too expensive for just 8GB
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:42 PM   #176
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
Disappointing. I will stick with my Clara which looks the same or Nicer and my Libra.

I may buy a forma. I am tempted. Always wanted an 8 inch other than my 7.8"nook now I do like my nook. I just like the form of the forma. I think its just way too expensive for just 8GB
Yeah the Nia seems to largely be a device designed to push people to the Clara. Even if rcentros is right about the pricing at Walmart. The rest of the world gets to see the Clara with several better features for a small jump in price.

I’m still unsure if the Nia will be priced the same as the Aura at Walmart. But time will tell there.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:11 PM   #177
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Yeah the Nia seems to largely be a device designed to push people to the Clara. Even if rcentros is right about the pricing at Walmart. The rest of the world gets to see the Clara with several better features for a small jump in price.

I’m still unsure if the Nia will be priced the same as the Aura at Walmart. But time will tell there.
I'm guessing, at first, it will be $99 at Walmart. The Clara would definitely be worth the extra $20 (but not necessarily to everybody).
Old 06-28-2020, 12:33 AM   #178
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Kobo Nia sleepcovers now available for purchase on Walmart Canada's site...

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/kobo-ni.../6000201708364

So... this coming Tuesday?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	allnia.png
Views:	155
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	180248   Click image for larger version

Name:	aquania.png
Views:	157
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	180249   Click image for larger version

Name:	blacknia.png
Views:	141
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	180250   Click image for larger version

Name:	lemonnia.png
Views:	142
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	180251  
Old 06-28-2020, 05:23 AM   #179
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Hmm. The cutout for the power button and charging port looks offset to the left of center. The Clara's port is to the right of the power button, which is in the exact center.

Also, that lemon? Wha? Is Kobo going to market these as children's readers?

Last edited by Calenorn; 06-28-2020 at 05:34 AM.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #180
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Also, that lemon? Wha? Is Kobo going to market these as children's readers?
I like the bright colors myself.