Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 10-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #1
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
out of business

KOReader running on BQ/Fnac devices

BQ no longer exists. Instructions here no longer work. If you're running stock you're out of luck.

People running Developers FW are ok as long as don't flash back stock. Feel free to ask for help if you manage to brick your device (but, how?). There're ways to fix it without reverting to stock.

Also if somebody wants to send me an old device (from the list below, in original instructions) send me a PM. I can't promise a workaround but I promise I will take a look

Original instructions (last updated in May 2021)
Spoiler:

The following devices are supported by KOReader.
  • BQ Cervantes Touch | Fnac Touch(untested)
  • BQ Cervantes Touchlight | Fnac Touch Plus(tested)issue:
  • BQ Cervantes 2013 | Fnac Touch Light (tested)
  • BQ Cervantes 3 | Fnac Touch Light 2 (tested)
  • BQ Cervantes 4 (tested)

Update (feb 2021): developers fw for legacy models is no longer available. Currently there's no way to install 3rd party software on these models unless you already installed developer fw before.

Installation instructions
Usb storage support
Touchscreen info
Wireless info

available sources
bq qt stock reader (QBookApp) https://github.com/bq/cervantes
bq qt e-ink support https://github.com/bq/cervantes-qt/t...drivers/einkfb
bq mx508 hardware abstraction layer https://github.com/bq/cervantes/tree/master/bqHAL
safemode tool https://github.com/pazos/cervantes-safemode

Last edited by pazos; 12-28-2021 at 03:56 PM. Reason: out of business
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First time Installation instructions

You'll need a sdcard.
  1. Install Developers firmware and enable telnet
  2. Download KOReader dependencies attached in this post
  3. Download KOReader from github
  4. Copy KOReader and dependencies to the sd card
  5. Insert the SD card on your ereader and start a telnet connection.
  6. Uncompress/install KOReader and KOReader dependencies:

Code:
    mv /mnt/sd/ko* /mnt/private
    cd /mnt/private
    tar -xvf ko*.tar.gz
    dpkg -i *.deb
    unzip koreader-cervantes*.zip

Congratulations, You are ready to start KOReader

You can run KOReader from telnet with
Code:
/mnt/private/koreader/koreader.sh
. This will stop the stock ereader while KOReader is running and return to it when KOReader exits.

If you are happy with KOReader and want to use it at boot you need to do;
Code:
cp /etc/rc.local /etc/rc.local.backup
cp /mnt/private/koreader/koreader-standalone.sh /etc/rc.local

Note: ko-deps.tar.gz contains generic prerequisites. ko-deps-safemode-latest.tar.gz contains the latest version of the safemode tool, and is only required if you want to enable USB Mass Storage support under KOReader
Attached Files
File Type: gz ko-deps.tar.gz (834.5 KB, 1254 views)
File Type: gz ko-deps-safemode-latest.tar.gz (219.5 KB, 1097 views)

Last edited by pazos; 07-16-2019 at 07:13 PM. Reason: support for usb mass storage in KOReader
Old 10-16-2018, 10:55 AM   #3
pazos
cosiñeiro

Touch Protocol

All devices support Single Touch Protocol. The Cervantes 4 (and maybe other recent models) emits both Single Touch and Multitouch B input events. The device reports:

Code:
evtest /dev/input/event1 
Input driver version is 1.0.1
Input device ID: bus 0x18 vendor 0x0 product 0x0 version 0x0
Input device name: "Neonode zForce touchscreen"
Supported events:
  Event type 0 (EV_SYN)
  Event type 1 (EV_KEY)
    Event code 330 (BTN_TOUCH)
  Event type 3 (EV_ABS)
    Event code 0 (ABS_X)
      Value    619
      Min        0
      Max     1072
    Event code 1 (ABS_Y)
      Value    832
      Min        0
      Max     1448
    Event code 24 (ABS_PRESSURE)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max     1048
    Event code 47 (ABS_MT_SLOT)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max        1
    Event code 48 (ABS_MT_TOUCH_MAJOR)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max      255
    Event code 49 (ABS_MT_TOUCH_MINOR)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max      255
    Event code 52 (ABS_MT_ORIENTATION)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max        1
    Event code 53 (ABS_MT_POSITION_X)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max     1072
    Event code 54 (ABS_MT_POSITION_Y)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max     1448
    Event code 57 (ABS_MT_TRACKING_ID)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max    65535
Properties:
Testing ... (interrupt to exit)
A single touch will output:
Code:
Event: time 51393.692783, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 57 (ABS_MT_TRACKING_ID), value 1607
Event: time 51393.692786, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 53 (ABS_MT_POSITION_X), value 350
Event: time 51393.692788, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 54 (ABS_MT_POSITION_Y), value 249
Event: time 51393.692789, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 48 (ABS_MT_TOUCH_MAJOR), value 8
Event: time 51393.692790, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 49 (ABS_MT_TOUCH_MINOR), value 8
Event: time 51393.692792, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 0 (ABS_X), value 249
Event: time 51393.692793, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 1 (ABS_Y), value 722
Event: time 51393.692795, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 330 (BTN_TOUCH), value 1
Event: time 51393.692796, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 24 (ABS_PRESSURE), value 1024
Event: time 51393.692797, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 51393.694611, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 57 (ABS_MT_TRACKING_ID), value -1
Event: time 51393.694615, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 330 (BTN_TOUCH), value 0
Event: time 51393.694616, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 24 (ABS_PRESSURE), value 0
Event: time 51393.694617, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
KOReader only supports SingleTouch for these devices

Last edited by pazos; 11-09-2018 at 09:44 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
pazos
cosiñeiro

Wireless Support

stock software uses connman to manage wireless connections. KOReader uses wpa_supplicant.

Wireless chipset is always powered.
More info

Last edited by pazos; 02-15-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
pazos
cosiñeiro

Unlock

By default the device is locked (no shell access, no external booting, store, adobe drm) and firmware updates need to be signed with BQ private key.

BQ provides instructions to install a Developers edition firmware on https://blog.bq.com/es/bq-ereaders-developers-program/.

Note 1: Bq pages went down, probably forever. Please use http://web.archive.org/web/202007200...opers-program/ instead.

Note 2: In february 2021 firmware files hosted on amazon cloud are no longer available

Send me a private message and I can pass you a link to the file. Only available for Cervantes 2013, Cervantes 3 and Cervantes 4.

You need to install Developers edition firmware to be able to install KOReader or other software. This means you'll lose the nubico store and adobe drm support.

Last edited by pazos; 02-12-2021 at 07:40 AM. Reason: BQ went down.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:39 PM   #6
pazos
cosiñeiro

USB Mass Storage

If you installed the last version of safemode tool you will see a new menu entry on KOReader (see first image attached)

If you enter in storage mode you will see the second image. You can now connect the usb cable to your computer and do the changes you want. Once you're done you can extract your usb drive (like you do with any other USB drive on your operative system) and then press the home button to return back to KOReader.

New books will be readily available for you to read!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014-1.jpg
Views:	1025
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	171958   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016-3.jpg
Views:	908
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	171959  

Last edited by pazos; 06-17-2019 at 04:30 PM. Reason: instructions
Old 02-16-2019, 04:28 PM   #7
pazos
cosiñeiro

Install dictionaries via USB

Create a new folder on the usb partition called dict and copy inside the dictionaries you want to install in KOReader (stardict files, do not create subfolders for different dictionaries).

Dictionaries will be moved to KOReader installation when you return back to KOReader.

Last edited by pazos; 06-17-2019 at 04:32 PM. Reason: instructions
Old 03-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #8
brno
brno began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Unsuccessful installation

Hi,
I just tried to install koreader on my cervantes 4, using the latest version 2020.03.2.
When I execute the code I get this error :

Code:
root@MiWiFi-R3G-srv:/mnt/private# tar -xvf ko*.tar.gz
tar: ko-deps.tar.gz: Not found in archive
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Last edited by brno; 03-14-2020 at 05:21 PM.
brno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #9
brno

I managed to solve the problem concerning the tar command, using the following code
Quote:
mv /mnt/sd/ko-deps.tar.gz /mnt/private
mv /mnt/sd/ko-deps-safemode-latest.tar.gz /mnt/private
mv /mnt/sd/koreader-cervantes-v2020.03.2.zip /mnt/private
cd /mnt/private
tar -xvf ko-deps.tar.gz
tar -xvf ko-deps-safemode-latest.tar.gz
dpkg -i iproute_20120521-3+b3_armel.deb
dpkg -i iputils-ping_20101006-1+b1_armel.deb
dpkg -i safemode_0.5.0_armel.deb
dpkg -i unzip_6.0-8+deb7u5_armel.deb
dpkg -i safemode_0.6.0_armel.deb
unzip koreader-cervantes-v2020.03.2.zip
But when I execute the command
Quote:
root@MiWiFi-R3G-srv:/mnt/private# dpkg -i iproute_20120521-3+b3_armel.deb
Here is the error I get:
Quote:
(Reading database ... 11316 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking iproute (from iproute_20120521-3+b3_armel.deb) ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: internal gzip read error: '<fd:4>: incorrect data check'
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing iproute_20120521-3+b3_armel.deb (--install):
cannot copy extracted data for './sbin/rtacct' to '/sbin/rtacct.dpkg-new': unexpected end of file or stream
Errors were encountered while processing:
iproute_20120521-3+b3_armel.deb
By the way, I'm using a PC and I use Putty to connect to the reader via Telnet. And I don't know much about Linux :-)

Last edited by brno; 03-14-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:11 PM   #10
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by brno View Post
Hi,
When I execute the code I get this error :

Code:
root@MiWiFi-R3G-srv:/mnt/private# tar -xvf ko*.tar.gz
tar: ko-deps.tar.gz: Not found in archive
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
Shall I proceed to the next lines?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Duh! My fault. When I wrote the instructions for the first time there was only a single attachment. Then I updated the second attachment and modified the instructions to match, but I never actually run the tar command to uncompress both attachments at the same time .

So, what happens is: you have both ko-deps.tar.gz and ko-deps-safemode-latest.tar.gz on /mnt/private and globbing doesn't work as expected and tries to uncompress ko-deps.tar.gz from within the other container. Again, duh!

What you need to do is uncompress both, with:
Code:
tar -xvf ko-deps.tar.gz
tar -xvf ko-deps-safemode-latest.tar.gz
And continue with the next lines (dpkg -i to install prerrequisites, unzip to unzip koreader). Hope it helps.

edit: use the exact command for dpkg -i. That should work!. If not do apt-get -f install. That will fix dependencies between packages. If that still doesn't work please check that your deb file is not corrupted. You can download it again or fetch another version as long as is compatible with Debian Wheezy with armel ABI. Prerequisites here are just to make things easier but there should be a few mirrors online for these packages.

Last edited by pazos; 03-14-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:05 AM   #11
brno

Thanks, it works!
Some .deb files where apparently corrupted in ko-deps.tar.gz
I had to get other copies on the internet.
If this can be useful for other people, I found them in 2 places:
- https://cloudfront.debian.net/debian.../main/u/unzip/
- http://ftp.attica.net.nz/kali/pool/main/i/

Just one thing doesn't work as I expected: when I switch to "Black Mode" in koreader, only the colors of the pictures are inverted. The text remains in black color against white screen. Is it a bug or a limitation of the bq reader itself?
Old 03-15-2020, 09:14 AM   #12
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by brno View Post
Just one thing doesn't work as I expected: when I switch to "Black Mode" in koreader, only the colors of the pictures are inverted. The text remains in black color against white screen. Is it a bug or a limitation of the bq reader itself?
Thanks for reporting. It is a regression as it worked fine a couple of months ago. I didn't notice the change until now. Opened a ticket to track the issue: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/5963
Old 03-15-2020, 01:51 PM   #13
brno

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Thanks for reporting. It is a regression as it worked fine a couple of months ago. I didn't notice the change until now. Opened a ticket to track the issue: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/5963
Great news, if it can be corrected.

Do you think that the Home button could have the same behaviour as in the bq firmware: the double press that puts the reader in standby mode is really useful, and the long press that puts the light on is nice too ?
This would be great but I don't know if koreader allows this and if it is reasonable or not to implement it.

Last edited by brno; 03-16-2020 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:44 AM   #14
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
@brno Should be fixed in today's nightly.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:34 AM   #15
brno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
@brno Should be fixed in today's nightly.
Thanks! What I call a quick response!