Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-23-2022, 12:17 PM   #1
wakkaday
Groupie
wakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Oasis
Magnetic cover buttons can they be re mapped, I don’t want volume control

That’s a waste , is it possible to get a scroll feature on these buttons

Thanks
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 01:58 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
There's a long route from physical buttons to having an app do something. Things can be changed at many points along the way.

Button
Image dtb
Linux keylayout
Onyx keypad.json mapping
App dispatchKeyEvent

Are we talking about the Leaf? Do you own one?

Although it's the more obscure way to change things, if I had one, I'd change it in the dtb.
Why? Because even if it's trickier to binary modify the dtb on the kernel, it's not verified or error corrected. You don't even have to be rooted.

Edit: Also, many reading apps respond to VolUp/VolDn as page commands. After all, they are designed to work with phones too.

Last edited by Renate; 04-25-2022 at 08:20 AM.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 01:15 PM   #3
nivieru
Enthusiast
nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.

Device: Onyx Nova Air, Onyx boox i86ml plus, nook simple touch
I had the same problem with my Nova Air cover buttons.
Solved it by following Renate's hints, mostly:

1) Root the device with Magisk (See instructions here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346175)

2) Modify two letters inside framework-res.apk and put it in a custom Magisk module in order to disable the wait for long press, as described here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...46&postcount=2

3) Modify gpio-keys.kl (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=37) replacing VOLUME_UP and VOLUME_DOWN with DPAD_UP and DPAD_DOWN and put it also in the magisk module. This maps the buttons to the up and down arrow keys, which works in neo reader and also in the kindle app to turn pages. And in some other apps as well, at least as arrow keys.

I than modified my versions of einkbro browser and infinity-for-reddit to use these keys for page up/down.

I then forgot to thank Renate. Thanks Renate!
nivieru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:28 PM   #4
wakkaday
Groupie
wakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivieru View Post
I had the same problem with my Nova Air cover buttons.
Solved it by following Renate's hints, mostly:

1) Root the device with Magisk (See instructions here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346175)

2) Modify two letters inside framework-res.apk and put it in a custom Magisk module in order to disable the wait for long press, as described here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...46&postcount=2

3) Modify gpio-keys.kl (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=37) replacing VOLUME_UP and VOLUME_DOWN with DPAD_UP and DPAD_DOWN and put it also in the magisk module. This maps the buttons to the up and down arrow keys, which works in neo reader and also in the kindle app to turn pages. And in some other apps as well, at least as arrow keys.

I than modified my versions of einkbro browser and infinity-for-reddit to use these keys for page up/down.

I then forgot to thank Renate. Thanks Renate!
wow is there of compiling what you did to an .apk or something
i am struggling to root my nova air c at the moment
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 04:50 PM   #5
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaday View Post
I am struggling to root my nova air c at the moment
You could try on the thread that deals with that. Just be clear on where you are having a problem and somebody may help you.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote