Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #151
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
True, but with the Nook Color at least, you could not sideload books from the SD Card. You had to mount the NC and drop the books into a particular location on main storage, or they would never get into your Library.
I have the Nook Tablet and I've always been able to sideload my own books. When I install a blank SD card, the Nook writes a "My Files" folder to it that contains these folders: Books, Documents, Magazines, Music, Newspapers, NOOK Kids Recordings, Pictures, and Videos. Essentially, the same folders that are in the main memory. It doesn't matter whether I copy books to the Books folder in main memory or the SD card, they show up in my library.

I just assumed the Color worked the same as the Tablet. I don't use Windows Media Player either. I use Calibre!
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #152
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Dumb question, but one I THOUGHT would be handled in this review:

Can you "sideload" actual - books - that have not been infected with Adobe DRM? At that point in the review where I thought he would say something about it, the author points out all the wonderful options for books: Overdrive, B&N DRM, Adobe DRM, a newfangled 3M Library DRM... but I'm not yet seeing that dropping DRM-free books on the HD filesystem will work like it did on the Nook Color.
Sorry, I guess I missed mentioning that while writing up the review. Yes, of course you can sideload DRM free ePub's and I'm not sure why I missed including that info. I don't know of a reader where you can sideload DRM'd books, but not DRM-free. I'll be sure and update the review.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #153
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I have the Nook Tablet and I've always been able to sideload my own books. When I install a blank SD card, the Nook writes a "My Files" folder to it that contains these folders: Books, Documents, Magazines, Music, Newspapers, NOOK Kids Recordings, Pictures, and Videos. Essentially, the same folders that are in the main memory. It doesn't matter whether I copy books to the Books folder in main memory or the SD card, they show up in my library.

I just assumed the Color worked the same as the Tablet. I don't use Windows Media Player either. I use Calibre!
Perhaps this was fixed with one of the software updates to the NC (we've had three, I think), but at time of purchase - about a year ago- books plopped on the SD card installed in the NC couldn't be made a part of the Library. PDFs and videos on the SD were playable from there, of course, so I simply dedicated it to that kind of content.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #154
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Perhaps this was fixed with one of the software updates to the NC (we've had three, I think), but at time of purchase - about a year ago- books plopped on the SD card installed in the NC couldn't be made a part of the Library. PDFs and videos on the SD were playable from there, of course, so I simply dedicated it to that kind of content.
The only Nook ereader with a separate view for sideloaded books was the original Nook (N1E). All other Nook ereaders show all books (B&N, sideloaded in memory, SD-card) in one view (if you put them in the correct folders).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #155
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Can I widdershinsload my e-theric essences? It's especially important at full moon and syzygy.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #156
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
If anybody is feeling adventurous, the XDA crowd have hacked the HD+ to get persistent root control that survives reboot.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1991125

Fairly simple: you enable ADB and run a batch/script file from Windows or Linux.
More fun and games to come, apparently.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #157
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
If anybody is feeling adventurous, the XDA crowd have hacked the HD+ to get persistent root control that survives reboot.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1991125

Fairly simple: you enable ADB and run a batch/script file from Windows or Linux.
More fun and games to come, apparently.
Good news, though it'll be a while before we have CM available for these tablets - but progress is certainly welcome.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #158
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
As long as I can load Comic Rack and Mantano then I'm all for the new Nook HD+
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #159
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
As long as I can load Comic Rack and Mantano then I'm all for the new Nook HD+
You don't need root for that, given that ADB debugging is enabled.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #160
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You don't need root for that, given that ADB debugging is enabled.
Wouldn't you still need to establish root long enough to get Nook Tools into /system and enable Unkown Sources?
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #161
bossfan2000
Connoisseur
bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iPhone 6+, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Wouldn't you still need to establish root long enough to get Nook Tools into /system and enable Unkown Sources?
Nope..you can sideload apps via adb. And for the person that mentioned Mantano, I've been using it on my HD+ for about 10 days now and it mostly works. The top of the Mantano menu bar is partially covered by the Nook's title/status bar, so it can be tough to hit certain buttons. But the bottom toolbar while reading a book is fine. Sometimes Mantano has trouble resuming if you exit then try to open it again. Sometimes it force closes, and other times I have to kill it. But despite that, I still use it as my main reader on the HD+
bossfan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #162
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
These are different issues. Rooting and enabling "Unknown sources" would allow you to install apps directly from the device (from the browser, Dropbox, Amazon appstore, ...). However, if all you need is to sideload from the PC, root is not required.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #163
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
These are different issues. Rooting and enabling "Unknown sources" would allow you to install apps directly from the device (from the browser, Dropbox, Amazon appstore, ...). However, if all you need is to sideload from the PC, root is not required.
Correct.
Plus root should let you install alternate launchers and let one of them be the default.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #164
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossfan2000 View Post
Nope..you can sideload apps via adb. And for the person that mentioned Mantano, I've been using it on my HD+ for about 10 days now and it mostly works. The top of the Mantano menu bar is partially covered by the Nook's title/status bar, so it can be tough to hit certain buttons. But the bottom toolbar while reading a book is fine. Sometimes Mantano has trouble resuming if you exit then try to open it again. Sometimes it force closes, and other times I have to kill it. But despite that, I still use it as my main reader on the HD+
What about other readers such as Moon and FB Reader? Would all these apps work more smoothly once official roots or better methods develop in a few months?

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #165
Iteria
Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoshka View Post
Speaking of sideloading, does anyone know if you can play sideloaded videos? I played with one at Target, and saw the movie trailers they have loaded on it, but it would nice to have that beautiful screen be able to play my own movies.
I have a Nook HD+ you can play side loaded videos. You just have to make sure it's a supported format.
Iteria is offline   Reply With Quote